MFP is my last hope to lose 100lbs in 2014.

Options
Okay, like everyone else, I have a story.

Currently pushing between 299 and 301 depending on the day. My job keeps me really stationary and the long hours aren't helping me in the slightest.

My wife needs to lose weight too, so I've been trying to motivate her to do this with me. Not much success there, but I can't force her to change on her own so I'm trying to do this solo.

The problem for me has always been my lack of friends / people to keep me to task. I have talked about my goals and everything else but never really had much accountability, at least where people will celebrate my successes and be disappointed in my failures.

I've decided this is my last shot, I'm eating right, working out, joining a gym ( I hope to be joining anyways ) and tired of looking at myself and feeling depressed.

In absence of finding someone on my real life who can help keep me going, I'm here and I hope to make plenty of friends who will keep me motivated.

All the best - Mike :)

Replies

• sithiria
    sithiria Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why I'm here, it helps.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Baby steps my friend. It took you a while to gain this weight so it won't come off fast. You can do it. If I can anyone can.

I'd love to help you on your journey. Add me or message me if you'd like. I lost my 100 and I was in my 40's. You can too.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Awesome goal. Great place to start. Time is now!!! Friend request sent. Let's motivate each other!! :)
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just be accountable to yourself. I started a year ago at 300#, just did the "thing" here. Slowly as friends coworkers noticed my losses I'd talk about it, and I opened up my diary to some friends. But for the most part, my day-to-day accountability is just to myself.

At the moment, I'm about to go over my calories for the day. Nobody cares... except me. So ibefore I go to bed I'm going to get my *kitten* outside and go for a run. In the cold. In the rain. In the dark. Alone. On christmas night. Just so I won't have to look at the "red" in the calories line.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike. Please add me!
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mike,

I'm your age and I have twice as much to lose. I just moved across the country so I don't have anyone to support me in my efforts either. I'm slowly getting involved here and the forums can be helpful. I'm also hoping to meet up with some people on here who are local to the area and do walking or other activities together.

While all that I think can play a big part, I think that if you can set proper exercise and calorie consumption goals and commit to stick with it, you'll find the greatest success. Encouragement from others is great but it still has to come from within you and you need to be committed to the task 100%.

If you read the forums you'll find a ton of people who have had success. You can do it!!!
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know I can do it, so I don't have any concerns there, but sometimes I need that external motivation and extra push to keep me going. I want to be able to share my success and also my disappointments.

I think my biggest enemy is apathy in those around me. I know by coming on here I'll find plenty of like-minded folks who can help keep me on the straight and narrow.
  • shaplebound
    shaplebound Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!!! Set your Mind, a Goal( not to high,a realistic, goal) Take some pictures of yourself, because when you are losing, it's great to compare, it becomes like an addition to stay under your calorie goal, believe me, it's wonderful to find yourself changing your food eating habits, for the better of course.. You can add me as a friend, And the Best of Luck to YOU....
  • rachelkiacomini617
    Options
    Hey Mike!

I am starting a new blog all about my weight loss journey...today is actually the first day haha!

I only have one post up there but I plan to have recipes, tips, weigh ins, and my bad days all documented.

Another thing I would encourage you to do is not get discouraged...this isn't a DIET it is a way of life...trying to get healthy and live a long and purposeful life.

If you are in need to some inspiration here is my blog...not much up yet since as I said today is my first day but maybe it can give you ideas as I get going and maybe blog-ing could help you too! I know it has helped a lot of people.

http://thisisnotadiet.weebly.com
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    I guess i decided to resurrect this because I'm having a moment. Not sure what that moment is, but I do know it's a combination of loneliness and frustration in where I'm at right now.

Losing weight won't solve all my problems, but maybe if it gets at one or two of them, I'll call it enough of a win to find something new to focus on for 2015.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Send me a friend request!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike,

Do it! Don't be like me and wait until you are 50+ to lose that 100+. Your knees will NOT like you. That said, now that I've dropped 35, my knees are quite a bit less angry with me, and I'm sure by the time the other 65 is gone, we'll be good friends again.

Fire away with a friend request.