Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HRM watch and weight training

I finally figured out what I would like for Christmas but I'm not sure if it exists. I would like a HRM watch but not for running. Here's my list of specs:
*HRM without a chest strap or having to touch the side sensors with thumb & finger
*for 24/7 wear
*monitors all day calorie burn, not just while exercising, in other words, not a pedometer
*not worried about the sleep monitoring function - believe it or not, I can tell whether I slept all night or not, don't need a device to tell me.
* I want to monitor calorie burn while lifting, which usually ends up like an aerobic workout.
* would be nice if it was like a watch but if it's more like a bracelet, fine.

So, experienced users... any suggestions? My husband needs Christmas present ideas. Otherwise I'm getting house shoes.

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    You could try the Basis band. It's meant more for lifestyle than for workouts. One caveat -- try one on first, because they're a bit big for some women's wrists. I think REI has them.

ETA: No heart rate monitor is going to give you an accurate "calorie burn" for weight lifting. This blog post will help you understand why. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Yeah, what you're asking for doesn't exist. There are either actual HRMs with a chest strap that will measure your cardio workout well and nothing else. Or pedometer-type activity monitors that estimate your calories across a day. There are some pseudo-hybrids like the Basis, Withings Pulse and Polar Loop but the HR measure isn't constant. Well, for the Loop it might be but that requires a chest strap, I think. The Pulse just takes spot HR measures. The Basis appears to be more like a Body Media device that you wear on your arm.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Look at the Bodymedia.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I think you're getting house shoes. Dreaming a little big there with the HRM requirements.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Look at the Bodymedia.

The bodymedia isn't a HRM, but it does really good for estimating daily calories. It's something you wear 24/7 except when you plug it in to charge or upload data.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Look at the Bodymedia.

The bodymedia isn't a HRM, but it does really good for estimating daily calories. It's something you wear 24/7 except when you plug it in to charge or upload data.
    I know but I don't think there's anything out there which meets all OPs requirements and this meets a lot of them.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    The Basis claims to use 'continuous heart rate patterns'. Not sure what that means or if the Body Media does it. I think I'd prefer a wrist band to the arm band. At least there are decorative bands for it. It does look huge, though.

http://www.mybasis.com/basis-fitness-tracker-product-tour/

"Beneath the surface is where Basis separates itself from every other fitness tracker. The Basis band contains the most advanced sensors on the market, continuously capturing heart rate patterns, motion, calorie expenditure by activity…even perspiration and skin temperature. All of this data is captured 24/7. The only thing required of you is to wear it."
  • Does The Basis require a monthly subscription like Bodymedia does?
  • I looked at the Basis. Pretty cool device and pretty much what I'm looking for. It doesn't look like it syncs with MFP, yet. I looked at the forums and everyone is screaming for a MFP sync. Who knew MFP was so popular?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I looked at the Basis. Pretty cool device and pretty much what I'm looking for. It doesn't look like it syncs with MFP, yet. I looked at the forums and everyone is screaming for a MFP sync. Who knew MFP was so popular?

It's still not going to track weight training--but nothing can, so I would actually drop that from your list of criteria.
  • It doesn't need to be super accurate. Short of strapping on an oxygen uptake mask while I workout nothing would be. Closies count.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    It doesn't need to be super accurate. Short of strapping on an oxygen uptake mask while I workout nothing would be. Closies count.

Not for weight training. Nothing will work nor be close. Weight training us a while different thing and can't be counted that way.

^This. Your readings will end up extremely skewed. I've gotten my HRM to give me calorie burns up to 800 before from strength training when it's actually more like 150-200 calories burned. HRMs are for steady rate cardio.

And by steady rate I mean running, swimming, etc. Not yoga and I wouldn't recommend for circuit training because I've seen really exaggerated burns for those as well.