How did you pick your goal weight?

Options
What was your process for deciding where to set your goal weight? What if you get there and don't feel "done"? What if you feel satisfied before you get there? How firm are you with the number you chose?

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I only have a goal size in mind, which is a 10. Whatever I weigh when I can fit a 10 is what it will be lol
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Step 1: figured % body fat at start

Step 2: figured desired % body fat at finish

Step 3: applied algebra, calculated goal weight

Step 4: after losing 5-10 pounds or so, since you lose some muscle with the fat, recalibrated by starting over at step 1

repeated every 5-10 pounds or so
  • thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Weight class I'd like to fight at.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Last time I felt healthy at that weight. I will reevaluate as I get closer.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing collection of vintage lingerie, cocktail dresses and evening gowns, seriously...a whole closet full. Some were my mom's and/or grandmother's...some I've picked up at estate sales, some have been gifted to me. I also have bins of outdoor activity clothes, camping/hiking, skiing, etc. When I can fit into all my really COOL clothes again, I'll be done!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started with a goal weight at the top end of my BMI (knowing that BMI doesn't count for *that* much, but it gave me a jumping off point), which was 65kg. I'm there (give or take a few hundred grams) now but I know I'm not 'done'. My dissatisfaction is more to do with body composition than with my actual scale weight though, so I intend to cut a bit more weight in the New Year, then look into building some muscle.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    First off, I wanted to be healthy again and that included being at a lower weight. As a starting point, I decided I wanted to be the weight I was, and the fitness level I was at, when I was running 3 miles 6 days a week, and swimming once a week, when I was in my early 30s. At 5'5" that's 120-125 pounds for me. I still think it's a good weight for me in my 50s. I have to work a little harder at toning and firming, but I'm getting there. I'm 10-12 pounds from that now and I still think it's the best weight for me. If I'm still struggling to get there in a year, I may re-evaluate that goal or re-evaluate my methods to get there (or both).
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I did a whole bunch of stuff, but mostly I think it came down to finding a weight in the "proper" BMI range that sounded reasonable.

I know that BMI is a load of crap, but it was a start point. As I get closer to my goal weight, I will adjust accordingly. At a certain point I think it will come down to looking in the mirror and being satisfied. Is my weight training going to make me all big and buff? Or is my marathon training going to make me super lean? Or will my love of fancy dinners keep me slightly flabby? Who the hell knows. I do know that I'm headed in the right direction.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Calculated my lean body mass
    Decided what % body fat I'd like to be for my final goal
    multiplied my lean body mass by the % body fat to get to my overall goal

However, my final eight is not that important to me. My body composition is what I'm aiming for, so if I end up just as heavy, but with less than 10% body fat, I'd be very happy
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weight alone should never be an excuse to stop or continue a health goal. Weight is only a number. Body composition is where you should be looking. How do YOU feel in your current state? Do you want to maintain current composition or change in some way. Looking good in your body is what's most important!
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    Step 1: figured % body fat at start

Step 2: figured desired % body fat at finish

Step 3: applied algebra, calculated goal weight

Step 4: after losing 5-10 pounds or so, since you lose some muscle with the fat, recalibrated by starting over at step 1

repeated every 5-10 pounds or so

This. I have a goal bf%, and simply work back to that. That being said, when I reach that bf%, I will likely want to add some more muscle. But for me, getting as lean as I want to be is the first priority.
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me it has to be a weight that I can realistically maintain. If I was to want to weigh the same as I did before kids I would have to be super strict alot and obsessive. I don't want to be like that! So I pick a weight that I feel I will look good, feel good and be able to maintain and that is around 76-78 kilos
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    My most comfortable weight has always been 150. According to my calipers I am also at 27.6% body fat, which is in the middle of "ideal" for a woman my age. (Source: http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/charts.html)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    1. Looked up height and weight data of 10 of the worlds top long distance runners
    2. Calculated the BMI of each
    3. Calculated the average (mean) BMI for all ten
    4. Calculated my weight at the BMI from step 3 (my goal)

Please note that I would have preferred to use body fat % data for the athletes in step one, but it was not practical to locate

I was able to obtain this goal within a few months and maintain it all year. However now I am bulking and more focused on my body fat percentage than my BMI. Going forward I will likely bulk during the winter to add additional strength and cut if needed prior to the summer when I want to be at my ideal running weight.

If and when my focus turns to triathlons instead of running, my ideal summer weight may be a little higher than it is now
  • cheekymababy
    Options
    i chose my goal weight of 65 as my absolute smallest i ever remember being was 70kg i thought 65kg would be good a si would feel so much better knowing im smaller then i could ever imagine.. that and i also want to be fit.. im also a naturaly big girl (not fat but muscle wise as i take after dad) so im accepting i may not make it to 65 if i gain the muscle that i always seem to but thats ok i dont mind that at all :)
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap and there is a stack of perfectly good jeans in my closet. My goal weight is whatever allows me to fit my *kitten* back in those jeans. This will probably be 10lbs heavier than the 110lb I weighed when they last fit. Thanks to heavy lifting shrinking inches faster than cardio alone.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was looking at pics of myself, and was amazed at how fat I thought I was at 150lbs. I made that my goal. Now that I am there I actually am going for 5 more lbs. at 5'3" 150 is still considered overweight. Though I am happy with my size and overall appearance, it is more about thinking I could only hit 150 now I know I can do more, so why not???
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Partly BMI, partly knowing that I felt great and looked great at 150. When I was 24, partly my doctor's recommendation for avoiding knee replacement. Bought size 10 clothes today and one size 8 dress. I am 10 pounds from my goal and all of my work clothes were falling off. :bigsmile:
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I made my goal 1lb less than what my driver's license currently says from 8 years ago (150lbs). And I probably lied about it in the first place! :blushing:

But it's a good goal for my height, 5'-7". I'll reevaluate when I get there.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that is at the low end of my healthy BMI range because I have a small frame and because I have been that weight before and know that it works for me.