Gain weight within 3 weeks of starting strength training?

Options
I am trying to lose a few pounds but when I started with weight training, the opposite happened. I gained 2lbs :(

Replies

• heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Absolutely that's what supposed to happen! When it comes to weight training, the last thing you should be looking at is the scale. Don't let it discourage you. It will go up as you gain muscle mass.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've been going hard at the weight training for a few months now and I've gone from 108lbs to 120lbs, yet my waist measures smaller than it was and my muscle definition is much better. I was looking at your profile picture and I can see a difference in your progress. You're on the right track! Keep going - you're doing awesome!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    2 lbs. Really? You're worried about 2 lbs? That weight gain could have been due to any number of things. Are you eating at a calorie surplus or deficit? Even eating at a surplus you did not gain 2 lbs of muscle in 3 weeks. Please. You're probably just retaining water. Don't worry about it and keep lifting.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Starting lifting makes your muscles retain water. Hopefully the gain just means you are doing it right :) That amount is right around what I put on for a few weeks, like 2-3 lbs. My measurements did great during that time, and later I lost weight, so it was no problem.

2-3 lbs is, however, a possible fluctuation from day to day anyway. Mine was just consistently up after starting training, with fewer calories, so I had to read about wtf was up with that, too :D