How to train for 5k indoors? Can only run a mile

Options
Fairly new to running. Finally able to run 1 mile at 8:40 pace(gasping at the end heavily).

I weigh about 255 pounds now.

I would like to start increasing my distance but I find the treadmill so boring... I just cannot run for more than 10-15 min with or without music.

Is there a way to train efficiently within that period of time for the time being(during winter)?

for example, would it help to get my pace up to a 1 mile sub 8 min pace or being able to run 2 mile i 16-17 min be enough while indoors?

I'm sure training would be better outdoors once spring comes.

Appreciate the advice!

Replies

• laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Look into the program Couch 2 5k (http://www.c25k.com/). They phase you up from walking to running in 8 weeks. They have apps and music to go along, and a treadmill version too. I've heard great things. Or you could just do what I did, which is just push yourself a little harder every time, and run consistently. Good luck!
  • heystephie
    heystephie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think a treadmill would be the most efficient when indoors. Or try Couch to 5K to get you to running a 5K at a good pace. If not, try jogging on the spot (which is similar to the treadmill) or try running up and down some stairs. Alternatively, if you think all of this is boring, maybe try Wii Fit/Wii Sports? They have games (that are obviously fun since they are games) to 'increase' your level of fitness/ endurance that may translate into running with a better pace. I do think games won't be very effective though.

My suggestion would just be to stick with the treadmill. Maybe listen to better music? Also your perception that it is 'boring' is based on your attitude. Change your attitude and be disciplined. That's what fitness is about. Keep your end goals in mind e.g: getting a good body/ looking good/ increased fitness/health or self esteem etc. Whatever it may be, you just have to push through it and get your workout done. Then when winter is over you can get out there and run.

Good luck :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Fairly new to running. Finally able to run 1 mile at 8:40 pace(gasping at the end heavily).

I would like to start increasing my distance but I find the treadmill so boring... I just cannot run for more than 10-15 min with or without music.

Is there a way to train efficiently within that period of time for the time being(during winter)?

for example, would it help to get my pace up to a 1 mile sub 8 min pace or being able to run 2 mile i 16-17 min be enough while indoors?

Appreciate the advice!

Congratulations on setting a goal!

If you dress properly you can run outside in the winter year round in any part of the world (I run in the snow all the time). That being said you can train for a 5k on a treadmill and I agree that c25k is a good program:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25kfree-couch-potato-to-5k/id485971733?mt=8
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.c25k&hl=en

In regards to being unable to run over 10-15 minutes on the treadmill without getting bored you have two options:

1. Run outside as I suggest above
    2. Get over it and stay on the treadmill for more than 15 minutes

You will not be able to complete a 5k until you choose option 1 or 2 above.

With regard to pacing, follow the C25k program. You will need to slow down. Only after you can run the entire 5k distance should you be concerned with speed. Your comment about gasping heavily for for air after running an 8:40 mile is all the evidence you need. Your focus right now should be on building your aerobic capacity. Gasping heavily for air means you are running at an anaerobic pace (not aerobic) and you are running too fast.

Stick with the program and you will achieve you goal. Despite my comment above about a need to slow down, your one mile speed tells me you are in decent aerobic shape and should have an easy time completing the C25k program as written. You can run one mile faster than the majority of beginner runners.

If you need entertainment for your treadmill training, I also like the music idea. If you prefer you can run on a treadmill with a television in the gym. Or you can run outside in the snow like me:)
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Appreciate the advice!

If you dress properly you can run outside in the winter year round in any part of the world (I run in the snow all the time). That being said you can train for a 5k on a treadmill and I agree that c25k is a good program:

In regards to being unable to run over 10-15 minutes on the treadmill without getting bored you have two options:

With regard to pacing, follow the C25k program. You will need to slow down. Only after you can run the entire 5k distance should you be concerned with speed. Your comment about gasping heavily for for air after running an 8:40 mile is all the evidence you need. Your focus right now should be on building your aerobic capacity. Gasping heavily for air means you are running at an anaerobic pace (not aerobic) and you are running too fast.

Stick with the program and you will achieve you goal. Despite my comment above about a need to slow down, your one mile speed tells me you are in decent aerobic shape and should have an easy time completing the C25k program as written. You can run one mile faster than the majority of beginner runners.

If you need entertainment for your treadmill training, I also like the music idea. If you prefer you can run on a treadmill with a television in the gym. Or you can run outside in the snow like me:)

Thanks for the advice! I read through the program and it's detailed and manageable I'll start right away.

One question though - Do I have to start from week 1 or can I skip the first several weeks?

I am unsure if this program is designed specifically step by step for a reason so if so, I will being with week 1.

If it is ok, however, to skip weeks then I will probably start around week 3-4.

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice! Looking to run my first 5k spring comes!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Weather shouldn't put you off going outside. Adverse would prepare you mentally for your 5k in better conditions. Treadmill is cheating also
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Weather shouldn't put you off going outside. Adverse would prepare you mentally for your 5k in better conditions. Treadmill is cheating also

Have asthma so I try not to aggravate it if I can. Dry winter air's the worst. :(

I heard incline 1 on treadmill somewhat mimics flat pavement?
  • susiepet
    Options
    Why is using a treadmill cheating?
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Why is using a treadmill cheating?

Because it does some of the work for you and therefore does not accurately represent your speed / distance as on a normal surface. Better than nothing of course.

About the incline, I don't know. Sorry.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options

Appreciate the advice!

Thanks for the advice! I read through the program and it's detailed and manageable I'll start right away.

One question though - Do I have to start from week 1 or can I skip the first several weeks?

I am unsure if this program is designed specifically step by step for a reason so if so, I will being with week 1.

If it is ok, however, to skip weeks then I will probably start around week 3-4.

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice! Looking to run my first 5k spring comes!

I think it is fine to skip the first few weeks based on your present running statistics.

That being said (and this also applies to anyone else reading the thread) its also fine to repeat later weeks as many times as needed to complete the workout properly. You may do just fine with the program without having to repeat any workouts. However those that have difficulty should not be discouraged as this is common.

The program is designed to build up your endurance gradually which will help with injury prevention as well.

Many of the members of this group (much more knowledgeable than myself) have helped me improve greatly as a runner over the last year. Feel free to join!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/111-long-distance-runners
  • susiepet
    Options
    Mmm. So all the advice to use an incline to replicate wind resistance etc - and the evidence that once you do this either method has the same effect on the body is wrong?
    I grant you it's a different experience - but it isn't cheating!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Mmm. So all the advice to use an incline to replicate wind resistance etc - and the evidence that once you do this either method has the same effect on the body is wrong?

Different people have different opinions on wind resistance, its impact and whether you "should" use a treadmill incline to compensate. There have been a number of studies on the issue.

The basic takeaway is that at lower speed wind resistance does not have much of an impact, but its impact increases as you run faster. See the data in the study below if you want more specifics:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5574828

Treadmills are obviously better than nothing, but they cannot replicate everything you may experience outside on race day such as:

1. Rain
    2. Extreme temperatures
    3. Running downhill (Most treadmills cannot go downhill. Don't assume running downhill is easier than running on a flat surface. I learned this lesson the hard way after a steep downhill portion in my first half marathon last winter)

Running on rough, uneven terrain can also strengthen different muscles & tendons that might not get worked so much running straight ahead on the treadmill all the time. You will be less likely to twist your ankle after stepping on a rock during a race if you are a frequent trail runner used to such conditions as compared to someone who only runs on the treadmill.
  • eldamiano
    Options

My reference to cheating is that doing 5k for example on a treadmill does not require as much energy as running 5k down the road. So training for a 5k... I would always recommend just training in the actual conditions.

With the incline bit, I haven't used it and deny that it is clearly beneficial but how can it replicate outside conditions given wind, elevation and whatever else are never constant as is with a treadmill?
  • susiepet
    Options
    Don't disagree with much of what you say - just maybe leave out the cheating comment if you don't know (as you say yourself) much about the equipment.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    It is not a subject that requires qualification. I don't use a treadmill for the reasons above so it would be contradictory to comment on it if I used one.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against treadmills, just that they aren't as good as the real thing (and cost hundreds for the 'luxury' of doing something you are free to do anyway) .