First day at gym

doelani
doelani Posts: 35
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Well had my induction this morning as was not as intimidating as I though.

Instructor showed me how to work the machines, what each on did etc. I then spend 10 minutes on treadmill and 30 minutes on bike. Only 5 minutes on cross trainer, never could manage that lol

I have decided to join up so going tomorrow again to have Fitness program worked out and my goal is to go twice a week to start.

I must admit it has been a few yeasr since I used a gym and cannot believe how the equipment has progressed. Once program is set up I just put in my number and each machine knows me, what I have to do and what machine is next .......I just find that amazing lol I guess this is normal now for gyms but liek I said been a long time since I used one lol

Replies

• eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Good for you. keep it up.
  • Awesome. Once I got back into the habit of going I really look forward to it. It's a great start to my morning (though I realize not everyone likes doing it first thing in the morning). My old fitness coach used to always say, "The hardest part of getting started is... getting started."
  • You go girl! The first day is always hard but it gets better, especially when you start seeing results.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    well done ! I recently joined the again after not going for years!

I think the hardest thing is the first you go through those doors!

good luck and take care
  • thanks everyone,

YOur right the hardest thing is the first day but done now . I think the thing that helped was all different ages and sizes of people there so I did not look or feel out of place.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Fantatic! Getting there is half the battle!:flowerforyou:
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    good for you!! I'm so excited for you!! it almost becomes like a new hobbie..... I find myself looking forward to my next trip to the gym...
    sometimes its hard to get there, but once you are there, you will be soooooo glad you are!!!!!!! so push yourself!! :flowerforyou:
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    Many people have this misconception that all the members of their local gym will be trim, fit, gorgeous, and in their mid-twenties, but as you found out, it's just not true at all is it?

You serve as an example to all those who have a few extra pounds who want to go to the gym, but feel awkward about it, so well done. The message to those people is quite clear - try it, you might just like it!

The first time I went to the gym many years ago, it was nearly all weights, and they pushed me far too hard and I was sick. That put me off and I didn't go back for a lot of years. Once I did start going back, I joined a gym which was run by an ex-Miss Universe, and she worked out a routine which suited me, and not someone's macho image.

I do like going to the gym but it's not always possible due to my globe trotting job so I don't have a regular gym membership. It does become a way of life though, and my wife goes to the gym at least 5 days a week - not bad for a woman 52 years of age with Arthritis in her hands, feet, knees, neck.

For everyone who wants to go but feels intimidated - just go. Put all your hangups behind you, walk through the door, and you'll never look back!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I find myself dragging into the gym feeling horrid, tired, sick... etc. Leave feeling great!
  • Second day done.......

Instructor is taloring a program for me after getting me to use each weight/resistant machine to get setting to suit me. Seems liek the time passed so quickly but by time I remembered how to adjust achmachine seat etc to suit me took as long as acually doing each set of exercises lol

Also did some cardio on treadmill and bike while there. I will be better prepared next time and I think I will enjoy it :-)
This discussion has been closed.