Neutropenia help!!!!

Options
Last week I had some blood tests done. When I rang to find out the results, these were the answers- Low Iron- Border line Thyroid function - Neutropenia. How do I reverse these especially Neutropenia? I had the tests done to see why I was having so many food intolerances. Now these are totally different problems...... I work out regularly, and eat 90% clean. But the fatigue and no weight loss have been really confusing me. The blood test does give me some of the answers but would appreciate any responses. Have you had the same problems and how did you cope? Or if there is someone with a medical background who could give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to the MFP community. :drinker: cheers.

Replies

• tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Didnt your doctor discuss these things with you?

I am a med student but i dont feel qualified to be giving you advice without knowing further information, and thus i recommend you speak with your doctor.
    Neutropenia is really treated by treating the underlying cause, and thus i would need to know that before i could recommend anything further. I have had similar things before, and that was due to a more severe blood disease, of which i highly doubt you have, but you should really find out the cause of the problem

Good luck with all your progress
  • judyarantall
    Options
    I haven't spoken to my Dr yet, with all the public holidays on but will get into see him asap. I don't know what the underlying problem could be. I did have the flu a couple of months ago but other than that I don't know. Guess I will have to be patient until I see him and get further what ever test need doing. Frustrating but not unbearable.

Thanks for your reply, good luck with your studies.

Will also add when I have a few more answers may help others!!!
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hello there, was wandering past and saw your post. I am a Doctor, and first off, do not panic. Only your own doctor can look at your blood tests combined with their knowledge of you and why the test was ordered, work out whether the lab results are actually significant or not, and advise you on what (if anything) needs to be done.

Make that appointment to see your doctor to discuss the blood results, and in the meantime resist the urge to go Googling in order to look up all the myriad things that can cause blood results to be out of the lab's reference values. Instead just relax and enjoy your Christmas.

Best wishes, X
  • judyarantall
    Options
    Thanks, very wise words. Can get caught up in all the info on the net, and no I will not panic.

I am really enjoying the Christmas holidays this year and have enjoyed the whole year of 2013.

"One of the best years ever"

(and I have enjoyed a few years) hahaha.

Turning the big 50 on the 28th of Dec, they say or rather I say 50 is the new 28.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is one of the big reasons many places don't give blood results over the phone anymore, background history and knowledge of the initial presentation or concern plays a big factor in interpreting the actual results.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This is why results should not be given over the phone by a nonphysician. Context is important in interpreting test results. I'm a physician, so I really understand this.