Replies

• JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have both and use them both. :)
  • labbielove
    labbielove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference is that HRMs are only for use during steady state cardio while the other gadgets like fitbit are for all day use.
    I use both as well- my HRM for cardio workouts (calories burned then input into MFP), and my Fitbit to track everything else (extra steps throughout the day). With the syncing capabilities I've found this to work well on MFP.
  • EnjoyYourJourney
    EnjoyYourJourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit for 18 months and I love it. I use it every day and love that it automatically downloads my extra cals according to my activity level. I have my level set at sedentary on MFP, so if I want to eat more cals I have to move!! I got a HRM for christmas as I want to get a more accurate measure of calories burned during my work outs. I plan on using both, but I will be interested to see the how they compare when I work out. My Zumba class say's it is a 1000 cal burn, but my fitbit has never shown that - the most was 400 cals. My HRM will just be used for work outs, I couldn't wear it all day!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have both; have the Fitbit on all the time to measure steps etc. When I go to the gym I use the HRM and manually log the calories the HRM shows into the Fitbit app.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My wife has a fitbit, I have a Polar HRM. It's a matter of personal preference
  • I have a BodyMedia Fit and I love it. It logs calories burned durign daily acitivity, syncs with MPF so I can log my food here and gives you a daily comparison of Calories In v Out. It logs sleep. It shows you how much activity you did was moderate versus vigorous.
    My only complaint, as with most things, it doesn't register well during yoga or pilates classes.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Mio Alpha, a wrist HR monitor (can be used as a wristwatch) that I connect through Bluetooth to the Digifit app. I am mostly concerned about my HR and calories burned during exercise, not through continuous activity throughout the day.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Ok so for those of you who love your fitbits, which one do you own???
    Can someone breakdown the differences between the zip, force and flex? I have a HRM and hate it. Its one witha chest strap and it pisses me off so I dont use it anymore. ;) OP, sorry to hijack the thread.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Can someone breakdown the differences between the zip, force and flex? I have a HRM and hate it. Its one witha chest strap and it pisses me off so I dont use it anymore. ;) OP, sorry to hijack the thread.

Chest straps do take awhile to get used to, but they are accurate. You can research all the info on fitbit's website.
  • stacsir
    stacsir Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex, I love it. Syncs well with my galaxy s4. I charge it once a week. The silent alarm is nice, although it does bother my carpal tunnel. My doctor thinks it is because of the vibration. I chose the flex because I thought the force was to big for my wrist. And the only difference between the force and flex is that the force calculates floors climbed and shows the time. I didn't need that. I am starting a workout program today and I plan to remove my flex and just use my Zephyr hrm paired with endomondo for an accurate calorie count. I dont bother with the sleep monitor only because I usually forget to activate it and manually adjusting or adding it via the website is tedious. One Downfall I have found is that I have accidentally put it in sleep mode when clapping or other similar activities.
    If you are looking for the comparison between the other fit bits you can visit there site or do a Google search Compare Devices - Fitbit I would post the link but not sure if it is allowed.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    For casual exercise like this, I would say get whichever makes you excited about working out.

It's my understanding that the fitbit is just a step monitor right? So that's only going to be as accurate as the assumptions it makes about the steps you're taking. And if you buy the bracelet version, the assumptions it's making about your wrist movement.

A HRM also makes assumptions, but it's based on your heart rate which is more accurate. But then, it would require a strap around your chest, and it's a more serious piece of equipment.
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I got the Fitbit One for Christmas, and I'm already hooked on it and have already synced it with my MFP account. I am still thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, because sometimes I feel as though I work out too hard (or am not working out hard enough), so I think a HRM might be useful for things like that. Plus, I would love to find out how many calories my body actually burns during the day (my TDEE) and I don't think I can get that from the Fitbit, or at least not with the model I have now.

But, for day to day tracking of my walks, and having that automatically sync with MFP and calories consumed, the Fitbit tool is a great little tool to have.

I also tried the sleep tracker on my Fitbit, but I didn't find it very useful. It told me I went to sleep 9 minutes after I went to bed, woke up 8 times during the night for a total of five minute. It also told me I burned 400 calories while sleeping...what the heck was I doing???
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit One for Christmas, and I'm already hooked on it and have already synced it with my MFP account. I am still thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, because sometimes I feel as though I work out too hard (or am not working out hard enough), so I think a HRM might be useful for things like that. Plus, I would love to find out how many calories my body actually burns during the day (my TDEE) and I don't think I can get that from the Fitbit, or at least not with the model I have now.
    I have a Fitbit One, and tracking my TDEE is exactly what it does. What do you think yours is doing?
    I also tried the sleep tracker on my Fitbit, but I didn't find it very useful. It told me I went to sleep 9 minutes after I went to bed, woke up 8 times during the night for a total of five minute. It also told me I burned 400 calories while sleeping...what the heck was I doing???
    You were staying alive.. You know, breathing and stuff. The calories burned while you sleep are part of your TDEE....

Regarding the original question, I have a Fitbit One and a mio Alpha HRM. I've used the Alpha once in the past few months. I use the Fitbit every day. The Alpha has its place - estimating calories burned during rowing or Pilates, for example - but if I could only have one device, I'd keep the Fitbit.