I'm Really Frustrated With How to Eat to Lose Fat

Options
Hey everyone! Despite it still being Christmas, I'm really feeling frustrated with my goals and how to eat healthy. Right now, my goal is to lose fat and build lean muscle. I understand I have to be at a calorie deficit to lose fat, but the problem is, I really don't know how to eat to be at that calorie deficit. So to solve that problem, I thought I would go to a dietitian at my local Hy-Vee, but that idea is down the drain because I learned that dietitians are so expensive, and I just don't have that type of money. I feel like a dietitian would be really beneficial because I have so many questions, and it would be nice to have someone to be able to ask questions to. I'm also so confused about healthy eating.

PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why not just track your normal eating habits for a while? Then you'll see exactly where you need to cut back, and where you're ok.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Why not just track your normal eating habits for a while? Then you'll see exactly where you need to cut back, and where you're ok.

This^ Measure and weigh what you normally eat for say, a week or so. Weigh and measure yourself before and after that period of time then again after. See what the difference in weight/measurements is after that period, then you will be able to see where you need to cut back.

Not everyone magically knows the amount they need to lose, gain or maintain. A lot of it is trial and error, unfortunately, but even a dietician probably won't have a lot of the answers for you.

Just FYI: it is extremely difficult to build muscle in a calorie deficit. If you are just starting out weight training you may see some short-term muscle gains, but in order to gain muscle mass you will need to eat in a surplus. This is why people alternate 'bulking' and 'cutting'. However, weight training in a period of trying to lose fat will help you maintain the muscle you currently have.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - start with a TDEE calculator like here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    this will give you an estimate of how much you currently need to eat to maintain your calories based on your current activity level
    - track your food and eat at this level for 3-4 weeks and then weigh yourself
    - depending on the results you'll have a better idea of what your TDEE is
    - from the TDEE subtract the amount based on how much you want to lose (10%-20% will probably be the easiest to upkeep)

update that info after weight loss over 15-20 pounds
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly this site is all you need (but I recommend a TDEE calculator to set your goal too).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Enter your measurements and goals into MFP and just weigh and log your food. You'll see where you're at.

Also, you have two goals that are mutually exclusive from each other. You're not going to lose fat and build muscle.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    Enter your measurements and goals into MFP and just weigh and log your food. You'll see where you're at.

Also, you have two goals that are mutually exclusive from each other. You're not going to lose fat and build muscle.

What you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time?! And I kept hearing people wax lyrical about strength training and hiit to gain muscle and lose fat. Is that wrong?

As in, I genuinely want to know because I want to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
  • EmSainz
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal to 0.5-1.0lbs a week. MFP will give you a calorie target. Eat food and hit that target. It's not more complicated than that.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can build strength while losing fat and this helps to retain the muscle you have and show it off by removing the fat. Remember to reach or exceed the protein goals that MFP has set for you. This is very important when trying to retain muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time?! And I kept hearing people wax lyrical about strength training and hiit to gain muscle and lose fat. Is that wrong?

As in, I genuinely want to know because I want to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

You can't. There are a few outlyers, of course (morbidly obese and some noob gains). I would like to see where on here people "wax lyrical" to do hiit and strength training to gain mass and lose fat.

You strength train and do hiit in a deficit to increase strength and maintain muscle mass so that while in a deficit your body loses mostly fat, not fat and muscle.

Increase in strength =/= Increase in muscle mass.
  • fangmouse
    Options

You can't. There are a few outlyers, of course (morbidly obese and some noob gains). I would like to see where on here people "wax lyrical" to do hiit and strength training to gain mass and lose fat.

You strength train and do hiit in a deficit to increase strength and maintain muscle mass so that while in a deficit your body loses mostly fat, not fat and muscle.

Increase in strength =/= Increase in muscle mass.

Oh wow I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I feel like a dietitian would be really beneficial because I have so many questions, and it would be nice to have someone to be able to ask questions to. I'm also so confused about healthy eating.

I thought that too - then I went to a dietitian. Complete waste of time. Log everything and go from there.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Confused about healthy eating? I didn't think it was rocket science...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Since it's not really a good idea to try to build muscle while trying to lose fat, it might be a good idea to run at a calorie deficit, following MFP's recommendations. That will help you lose the weight. Start doing Pilates, build up to a good intensity level. PIlates is very good at creating toned muscle and lengthening those muscles. Add strength training to strengthen the muscles and get them ready for the building. Then when you've hit your weight loss goal, start the building process.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Since it's not really a good idea to try to build muscle while trying to lose fat, it might be a good idea to run at a calorie deficit, following MFP's recommendations. That will help you lose the weight. Start doing Pilates, build up to a good intensity level. PIlates is very good at creating toned muscle and lengthening those muscles. Add strength training to strengthen the muscles and get them ready for the building. Then when you've hit your weight loss goal, start the building process.

What distinction are you making between "toning" and "building" - what's the difference? Also, please explain how a muscle can be "lengthened".
  • cmeiron
    Options

This^ Measure and weigh what you normally eat for say, a week or so. Weigh and measure yourself before and after that period of time then again after. See what the difference in weight/measurements is after that period, then you will be able to see where you need to cut back.

Not everyone magically knows the amount they need to lose, gain or maintain. A lot of it is trial and error, unfortunately, but even a dietician probably won't have a lot of the answers for you.

Just FYI: it is extremely difficult to build muscle in a calorie deficit. If you are just starting out weight training you may see some short-term muscle gains, but in order to gain muscle mass you will need to eat in a surplus. This is why people alternate 'bulking' and 'cutting'. However, weight training in a period of trying to lose fat will help you maintain the muscle you currently have.

OP: ^ these.
  • ShannK210
    ShannK210 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice :) I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on how to eat healthy and to achieve my goals. There's so much information to digest, but slowly and surely I will be able figure it out with the help of Google and all of these amazing MFP members. I was just really frustrated the other night and was a little down on myself. After just doing some research on my own, I've decided that a dietitian is really unnecessary. I mean, really, who has $399 to spend for a dietitian. But after the 1st I do want to go get a check-up, since it's been a while. Once again, thank you!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

What distinction are you making between "toning" and "building" - what's the difference? Also, please explain how a muscle can be "lengthened".

Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning. It's why there are so many injuries in the NFL this year; their new agreement means they have to work out and practice much less, and those less conditioned muscles are much more prone to injury.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning.

So much wrong going on here..I can't even.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them.
    You can't lengthen a muscle unless you detach the tendon, lengthen it, and then re-insert the tendon at a different spot . If a person could lengthen a muscle, then bodybuilders would have been doing it for decades to improve their insertion points.
  • cmeiron
    Options

Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning. It's why there are so many injuries in the NFL this year; their new agreement means they have to work out and practice much less, and those less conditioned muscles are much more prone to injury.

facepalm.gif