YO YO (my story)

Options
Here I am again, down in the dumps and feeling bad for my health. How did I get here? Again.

Up until today my highest weight was 293 about 5 years ago. Today my weight was 297.8!! In between these two weight gain highs have been some of the best years of my life. Everything from pursuing my career and excelling to getting married to my beautiful wife this passed summer. Here is my timeline:

January 2009: Joined a biggest loser challenge at work and weighing in at about 293
March 2009: Won the challenge after losing 40lbs weighing in at about 250.
October 2009: Ran my first race in a 5K, continued losing weight with a goal of a 10K weighing in at around 225
January 2010: Got promoted and moved a 6 hour car trip from home weight in at my lowest since sophomore year of high school at 215
June 2010: Made the full move gaining weight. Weighing in at 230.
December 2010: still gaining weight, weighing in at 245.
March 2011: Promoted again, lots of traveling, gaining weight, weighing in at 265.
2012: gained steadily while still yo yoing going from 255 to 275 ending at 275.
Summer of 2012: Something strange happened here, I was running in the park and ended up getting dehydrated and heat exhaustion. This lead to a form of anxiety, I would get this rush over me and immediately start eating and felt better, vicious cyle. Stopped exercising, got scared while exercising.
2013: Had some big life changing events (new company, new wife, new home that we built) Still yo yoing going form 265 to 275, not exercising much but would and then stop after starting to run again.
Present day: Gained my last gain to 297.8.

I have never laid my timeline out like this before. If anyone would like to offer anything that worked for them starting out this high of weight and try to lose weight I am more than happy to listen. I am a sponge and seek knowledge in this every never ending saga of trying to get and stay healthy. It is a scary proposition not only because I have been unsuccessful before but also because I am a little older (30) and know that my heart is hating me right now, my body hates me right now

Replies

• 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i think sometimes its important to look at why we reach to the wrong foods and or upsize our portions. Are you a comfort /emotional eater?. Often we need to address why we stray back to old ways. Also look at your day and plan ahead .. many of us dont do this, for example if you know you are going to be doing long commuting journeys pack suitable snacks so you dont get hungry and stop at fastfood places or eat unsuitable high calorific foods. Finding balance is another important factor when many of us have such busy lives. Try to always make time for yourself and if you miss one of our excercise days then do it the following ..
    When you reach target check your weight on weekly basis to keep close check on those small gains so they dont get out of hand

on a more positive note, welcome back and dont feel too bad, many of us have made these mistakes but we can learn by them and by reaching out like you have for support and a better understanding of why this happens for us as individuals.
    good luck in your new journey, i have every faith in you as you have done this before and you know you can do it again.
    merry christmas and good luck in the new year
  • mattmccool3
    mattmccool3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words.

I also forgot to mention the last time I lost the weight I didn't do it in a very healthy way. I was eating a 1,000 calories a day.

I really want to do it the right way this time. We plan to start a family soon and like most want to be their for my children and be able to play with them.

You are right though, I need to do a much better job at planning on commutes. Every time I stop for gas I bet I get something to eat as well.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Sup, yoyo :)

Welp, for starters, kudos for being willing! I think you're in the right place. You asked about advice/tips/etc.? Well...for me...one big key was just patience re: learning to trust the system. To help myself be patient, I set my goals a long way out, e.g., instead of thinking day to day and week to week, I try to think month to month and year to year. What that does is help me focus more on the process and less in the fluctuating day-to-day results. It's helped me avoid frustration with the day to day fluctuation and focus more on perfecting my process. I don't know if that works for everyone...but it worked, and is working, for me.

Whatever you do, good luck to you! :smile:
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    Thank you for being an inspiration!

I appreciate the feedback. You're right I never look out far enough. I am always doing whatever it is that day and not goals.

I need to set realistic goals and follow the system to reach those goals.

Thanks!
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right.
    I have Yo-Yo'ed up and down in weight much like you, but add another 17 years to it and about 25 more lbs. and heart attacks and heart surgery and you have my story.
    I have lost 40 lbs. in a four month period, adding it back before the end of the calendar year.
    My low (or high) was hitting 320.4 lbs. on the scale and knowing what is down the road for me.
    I do not want the diabetes to compound my heart disease, which is what you get when you are in the condition I am and hit the lucky jackpot of having what is called Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome is a pretty new diagnosis which is the result of being too fat and too lazy and facing the myriad of health issues to include Type II Diabetes, heart attack, stroke, swelling, joint pains, etc. etc.
    What I am doing DIFFERENTLY this time is this:
    I came back with the idea of a two to three-year plan to reach my ultimate goal weight. I am not doing South Beach, or Atkins or Weight Watchers or Mediterranean or any "diet." I am changing the way I eat and moving away from processed foods, fast foods and restaurant foods. We are cooking more at home and trying to do less to the food in the process.
    I avoid fried foods, but will eat it when I literally dying for some fried chicken! I might indulge that once a month or once every two months, but not on the almost weekly basis I had been doing. Same with chips, ice cream, etc.
    I try to choose whole grains and healthy fats and carbs.
    I avoid canned foods and so-called "Lite" or "Lo-Fat" foods. Those are traps for me because they typically make up for the fat with sugar and/or salt.
    I found one person to meet on a regular basis for workouts. He is one of my best friends in life and is great for me. When 5:40 rolls around, I find that I am getting up instead of hitting the snooze button for the umpteenth time. I have carved out a special time for exercise. For me, because of meetings and sports events that I have to cover in my job as a newspaperman, that time is early in the morning. I joined a gym and the $35/month is the best investment I can make. I was happy to write the gym a check for $500+ so that my wife and I can have access to equipment that we cannot buy or keep in our house.
    That is what works for me.
    The important thing is to CARVE OUT whatever works for you and protect it from other influences.
    I realize that if my health does not come first, I will not be alive to work or volunteer or be a Dad/Granddad. Period. End of statement. I had a heart attack in 2006 and bypass surgery on Jan. 5 2007 (at age 40). Those were shocking and kicked me into gear for a while.
    But 2013, I had an epiphany. This is it. This is a LIFE CHANGE. Not a diet. Not a quick fix. This is me choosing the best life I can for my future, however many years of it I may have left.
    I look forward to the day that I can hike, swim, and (this is way down the road and will be a Major Victory for me) climb rocks. Those are things I want to do with my wife, kids, friends and the like.
    Only I can get me there.
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    Thanks for the letting me know some pointers. I feel like being at 30 I still have a fighting chance of not having heart attacks and surgeries. That's my goal, to be healthy.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I am agreeing with the others on here regarding realistic long term goals, not short term quick weight loss.

I too am a yo yo and in my 40's. This is it for me, I have been so lucky so far in that other than high cholesterol (which I have had since childhood even when stick skinny) my health is excellent - FOR NOW. If I keep going at this pace, I am a diabetes ticking time bomb, as well as a heart disease ticking time bomb. Not only do I not want these preventable diseases, I want to walk and climb a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. I don't want to be that person that walks in the street (I live in NYC) and has everyone else passing them because I am going too slowly.

I set realistic long term goals, and somehow I am more motivated than ever. Just after three days of healthier eating I noticed that I felt better. Now two full weeks of better eating I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I am not stepping on the scale until after the 1st of January, and then my goal is to step on only once a month. I have monthly goals that are very realistic (3 - 4lbs per month).

Nothing is off limits, just in serious moderation.

The MAJOR thing here is to stop beating yourself up. You are human, humans aren't perfect. Giving up is NOT what makes us better, trying again is what makes us stronger.

Finding that motivating again is like a drug to me. Seriously, in just two weeks I am so happy and I feel so much better. No, no one has noticed anything, even me. I have not dropped a size. I feel way less bloated. Getting in control and feeling like I am reaching those realistic goals has been putting a big time smile on my face.

Small baby steps lead to huge accomplishments.

I'll keep going if you want me too, but I'm starting to get a little ridiculous, LOL.
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    Haha. You can go on as much as you like. I agree with you that January is gonna be my starting point and start setting realistic goals for myself. I've never done a New Years resolution but I think it's time.

I've got to do this, I will do this!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Well, I wish I had done this in my 30's!

Seriously, one of the hardest things to do is to not overthink things, I believe a lot of us do this and it can make things so much harder than they need to be.

You did it once, then life happened. You wrote out your timeline and I am sure in hindsight you can see areas where you could have done better with minimal changes - that's a life worth living one where we are constantly learning and improving.

Do not beat yourself up, be proud that you succeeded albet for a short time and know that you can do this again, your motives are on point - don't think that it will get easier but also admit to yourself that you may not be ready at this moment but expect that moment to come.

Trust me, no one who knows me would have EVER thought I would not only join a gym, let alone go and become a gym-bunny! I did it my way - at my time!

Good luck.
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    Thank you for being an inspiration and being so close to your goal. Good job!

You are right about one thing, life got in the way. Although I am not at all happy, the last 3 years or so have been great years.

I feel as if I am ready for change!
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    I am pretty sure yesterday didn't help this cylce! haha. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.
  • stefanosb8
    stefanosb8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I loved seeing your timeline. Everyone else's responses were great as well.
    I've yo yo'd for about 15 years. When I was 18 I lost 100lbs, gained 40 back, lost 40, gained 115 back, lost 115. Now I've gained 65 back. I'm also worried about my health. My family is mostly overweight and sick. I'd love to find a sustainable solution. In the past I've lost and gained very quickly. I feel like I can do that anymore; the emotional swings just aren't worth it. I'm shooting for consistent and slow weight loss that ends with a well established lifestyle that promotes long term health and wellness. Today is my first day.
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Haha. You can go on as much as you like. I agree with you that January is gonna be my starting point and start setting realistic goals for myself. I've never done a New Years resolution but I think it's time.

I've got to do this, I will do this!!

Don't think of it as a New Year's resolution, but a New LIFE resolution. In your original post you comment that you lost weight, unhealthily eating only 1000 cals. My time line is very similar to yours. Except I started in my early 20's, and am nearing 50 now. I know how to lose weight, exercise..the whole mechanics of weight loss. My most recent loss of 40 lbs was from May 2012 > Feb 2013. Didn't log anything but exercise. Ate mostly healthy, clean foods and my favorites in moderation. Jogging 3 miles 4-5 times a week, completed JM Shred, lifting weights....I felt amazing. Then, boom. Depression set in. I was diagnosed with binge eating that spring. I have gained everything back. I learned that my relationship with food was entirely emotional....even so when I was eating healthy, during my loss. I didn't restrict calories, I restricted **certain foods**. I was failing before I ever succeeded. I learned that if I never faced my binge eating issues (psychological/mental issues) I would never be successful at losing weight AND never maintain it. That is my current struggle. Facing past issues hasn't been easy...and it's mostly from my childhood. I've been in and out of counseling for more than 15 yrs. I've also been on and off meds for those years. Be an observer. Take a good look at yourself and completely understand WHY you eat, or binge. Google binge eating and see if it is helpful. It is something that is over looked for many. Get help if necessary. There are reasons people yo-yo over and over and over. Never forget that you matter and being healthy matters MORE. Good luck, it's in you to succeed!
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    You nailed it on the head. I just want to be consistent and be healthy instead of hardcore dieting and hardcore exercising. I want to eat as good as I can and exercise as hard as I can, and be consistent.
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    I have never really took a look at why I eat. I honestly don't think its because I am depressed or a psychological disorder. Plan and simple, I love food. I love going out to eat, I love anything that is sweet, I love all the comfort foods as well. I am not a big fan of salty things which is good considering I am way over weight to begin with. I think sometimes too is that I am bored and I am always looking for something to eat. If I am traveling for work and I stop to get gas, at the airport, out with customers, I always find something to buy and eat it. There is no doubt in my mind I am a binge eater, sometimes I feel as if I might die if I don't eat (not really) but I get anxious about it. I can't not have food around, what if something happens that I need it?

You are right with one thing this is a life resolution.

Thanks!
  • sydkel29
    sydkel29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I am a YO YO dieter. I tend to not eat enough which backfires on me. Once I get back in the habit of eating right and exercising, I do great. Then I stop mainly because of a terminal illness i have. I recently have had a back injury which has not helped.

I am hoping l can find some support on here along with tips. Tips to encourage me, to motivate me, etc. You all know what I am talking about :)

Friend request has been sent.
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, a good support system. That is most of the reason why I made this thread, to start to develop my own support system. Some of the folks that I have already networked with has already sent me encouraging words after a check in and things to that nature. A feeling of accountability helps me with almost everything I do whether its my wife, work or hopefully someone pushing me to get healthy.

Good luck!
  • mattmccool3
    Options
    12/27/13- we are going to a wedding tomorrow. None of my suit jackets fit, my dress shirts barely fit. Very depressing that I can't look how I want to. New motivation!
  • susiemeri
    susiemeri Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My story is very similar to yours, down to the years! In 2008 I was at my happiest and healthiest weight ever, and then started experiencing anxiety while exercising (I'm sure it had nothing at all to do with the exercise itself, just the fact that I had several gigantic life changes simultaneously). I fell back into emotional eating, and the weight just piled back on. And fast!

I was on the boards here for several months last year...lost nearly 30 pounds, and then, again, dropped out od sight for awhile. I'm back now, and feeling good about making healthy changes. I'm 46 - can't keep this yo-yoing going forever! Feel free to add me as well, and best of luck to you!

PS - I also had some tight pants going on while dressing for a special event. Ugh.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt.... I do not want to sound like a commercial and I am not affiliated with any particular product, but after 50+ years of struggling with my weight, I finally found something that works for me. I decided to quit dieting and start "living". I invested in 4 products that have become a part of my everyday life.

#1.... I bought a Fitbit. I track every single step I take. There are other products out there that will track your steps and am sure works the same as my fitbit. I cannot believe how something so little can affect my life as it has.... I average 15K-20K steps a day all because I can visually see what I am doing. I try to do one more step each day than the day before.

#2... I bought a Ninja and I have a protein shake every morning. I use Fortress from Walmart...but any brand should do. I like the Ninja because it pulverizes the icecubes making my shake like a dish of ice cream.

#3... I bought a food steamer... Everyday, have steamed vegetables (fresh green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots, peppers, etc) and either a chicken breast or fish (generally tilapia). Sometimes I add little potatoes to the steamer as well...I've been eating this meal almost every night since July and am not sick of it... there is nothing like steamed baby carrots! The steamer I have costed less than $20 and is the best investment I have made. I bought steamers for Christmas presents this year!

#4... bought a treadmill.... not essential, but living in Minnesota during the winter is not exactly the recipe for a pleasant daily walk. One way I stay motivated on the treadmill is to find an engrossing series on Netflix (currently watching Breaking Bad) I will not allow myself to watch Netflix unless I am on the treadmill... so, needless to say, I've had a few days that I may walk a total of 3 hours or so, if the show I am watching is good!

Every morsel.... including my daily vitamins.... are logged on myfitnesspal.... My fitbit syncs automatically... I know that I am the on in control of what I eat... If I choose to eat a little more one day, I know that means I also need to walk a little more.... I cannot tell you how much in control I feel -- for the first time in my life---

I also quit weighing everyday. I was weighed in mid June at the doctor's office.... started my new lifestyle on July 1, and did not weigh again until November 21 -- again at the doc office.... I lost 52 pounds in about 4 months. I won't weigh again until ...who knows when.... :-)

I will be 59 years old this July... I feel 1/2 my age... I have been told I look considerably younger (I know mentally I am younger--- not sure what 59 is suppose to feel like!) Point is, I feel like I have finally hit my stride.