How to beat a chocolate addiction?

Options
Hi guys! I know it sounds silly, but I have a serious chocolate problem. I believe it is a great problem in reaching my weight loss and healthy eating goal. Does anybody have any tips on beating this problem?

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I find that it's hard to eat large amounts of very dark chocolate. Have you tried switching to dark chocolate? I went through a HUGE chocolate phase when I was breastfeeding. I ate dark chocolate and worked out to ensure I stayed in my calorie goals. Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to learn to deal with it at some point, because let's face it: Chocolate is everywhere. And it also happens to be good for you in reasonable amounts.

For now, just don't buy it if it troubles you that much. :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There's two ways to go about it. If you can't stop once you start...you have to just not bring it in the house. Straight up cold turkey. For me...I love chocolate. If I tried to just cut it out, I'd lose my mind! I have chocolate everyday, usually 50-150 calories worth, and that satisfies my cravings. Don't look at yesterday in my diary though, lol I did not stick to an appropriate portion.
    I go for dark, sometimes dark with nuts. Something rich. No way I could stop at say...one serving of m&ms!!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Usually a chocolate craving indicates your body is low on magnesium. I'd try taking a magnesium supplement along with calcium too.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Usually a chocolate craving indicates your body is low on magnesium. I'd try taking a magnesium supplement along with calcium too.

Huh.... good to know next time... lol!
  • forgettingourforgiveness
    Options
    Interesting! Thank you so much everyone!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If you can tame the dragon it gets easier.

Learn moderation. Cut back but don't deny yourself an occasional treat. If you can successfully reduce the amount of chocolate you regularly consume you will reduce the cravings.

As a bonus your palate will change - sweet stuff is even sweeter if your not wolfing it down every day.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You need to avoid chocolate like the plague and cut it out of your diet cold turkey until you can relinquish your dependence on it. I had to do this with several foods at the beginning of my journey including microwave popcorn, cereal, and pasta.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just allow myself some chocolate everyday. I usually keep some Skinny Cows or Dark Chocolate M&Ms. I like M&Ms because it is easy to adjust your daily intake with them. If you only want 75 calories, it is simple to figure out how many you can have.
  • Have you tried chocolate almond milk? I like making oatmeal or smoothies with it. That usually gives me my chocolate fix for the day.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Overdose.
  • spritzi
    Options
    Try Xocai Healthy Chocolate. It is not processed candy. Only 33 calories/piece Xpower squares. You can eat 3 pieces/day and it is only 100 calories!!! Antioxidant value of a 15 ounce bag of baby spinach. They also make milk chocolate peanut butter cups. Even though they are healthy, they are more calories.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Have two family members who totally beat it. Mind over matter and yes Magnesium supplements helped. If it is severe, highly recommend getting your electrolytes checked for deficiencies.

And just so you know, my only "hot" drink I can stand is hot cocoa...yes, even in summer. So I make my own with protein-fortified milk, dutch processed cocoa, and splenda. I get my Vit D, Calcium, Protein & a nice chocolate fix in every time :) Way healthier than stuff I used to drink, too.

(eta: silly typos, pshaw)
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Having s small amount will satisfy your cravings. You just have to learn to stick with small portions. Completely denying yourself any chocolate would probably cause you to go on a binge at some point.
    Some people have a craving for a certain food (could be anything from a certain sweet to salty snacks or even french fries, the possibilities are endless). They try eating something healthier or low cal. instead. Let's say someone is craving some non-diet food that's over 300 calories. Off course they think this is not okay, so they eat a serving of carrot sticks instead. Well, they just added calories, but their craving is not satisfied. So 20 minutes later they eat a non-fat yogurt, adding on more calories. Still, the urge for sweet chocolate is still there. 30 minutes later they go through their fridge or pantry for more "low cal" snacks. In the end they eat more calories than they would have if they just had eaten the food they craved.
    So..... just have that piece of chocolate every once in a while and try to work it into your daily plan, or even better, work it off by exercising.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder! you can put it in a ton of foods.
    Tastes great in plain yogurt with a bit of sweetener (I like to use stevia).

Find a good chocolate protein powder, mix with ice and almond milk.
    Mix it with oatmeal and it is divine. (I really love oatmeal though haha)

Fun size/miniature candies are more expensive but the pre-portioned servings are nice.

Fat free/sugar free chocolate pudding mix?

I've had cocoa roasted almonds, they're really tasty! Not low cal so it is easy to go overboard, but they're great :)
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snack is Cocoa Almonds. 24 almonds are 160 calories, contains good fats, a little chocolate, and satisfies my mid-afternoon hunger.
  • scrapsandbones
    scrapsandbones Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey, or those 40 calorie hot chocolate sachets.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Moderation Moderation Moderation.

Oh, and Moderation :p

I eat chocolate just about everyday. I make room in my calories for it. I just don't eat an entire 1lbs bag of M&Ms. I measure them out.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what are we all going to do if the predictions become true and chocolate becomes so difficult to cultivate it's the same price as caviar or truffles?
  • lpshizza
    lpshizza Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cant have it in the house or I will eat it....same with cookies and other sweets. Just stop buying it