Polar FT4

Options
Hi Everyone! For Christmas Santa brought me a Polar FT4 HRM. This does not actually link to MFP, correct? How do you guys use it to log your stuff into MFP? Just want to make sure I'm using it right as it works with MFP.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• boymom75
    Options
    I got one from Santa too!! Awaiting your replies, I'm so excited to use it!! :smile: :smile:
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That is correct, Laura. The FT4 does NOT sync with MFP. I manually enter my exercise calories based on the readout on my FT4 after every workout :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    The basic Polar FT4 does not link to any other devices besides itself. You can buy an upgraded heart monitor unit that will talk to other devices - I have one that talks to my ipod Nano as well as the treadmills, etc. at the gym. I use mine through the ipod via Nike+ and then transfer the basic data of my exercise to MFP.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When you log an exercise, click over in the box that shows the calories and edit it to reflect what your HRM said you burned. Don't be surprised if you see lower burns from your HRM than you were seeing from your cardio machines or HRM!
  • Laura741
    Laura741 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is a big help!! I wish it linked!! :(
  • Laura741
    Options
    Ok I am trying to use it and I have it strapped on and sometimes it detects my heartrate for a second but then tells me to check monitor and goes to zero. WTF am I doing wrong? I can't get it to consistently pick up my HR?
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    have u made sure that the strap is a bit wet? is the sensor positioned properly -about above your heart...is the sensor moving around? are you sure batteries are full? :) i hope this basic troubleshooting helps..i have had my FT4 behaving "weird" from time to time but in most cases it is because my sensor has moved on my body -working out results in that- and have to readjust :)
  • Laura741
    Options
    Yep, all of that checked... I am going to call tomorrow. It is brand new so not sure there would be a battery issue.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    do call - I had one Ft4 where the vendor wrote me to tell that they were told by Polar that there was a defective batch...they replaced my sensor straight away...it worth checking
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The ft4 will sync with treadmills and other workout machines...someone above mentioned it didn't but it does.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get the strap wet before you put it on.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but my Garmin outputs tdx files. If your polar does this as well you can import them into runtastic which automatically syncs with MFP :-) .
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ok I am trying to use it and I have it strapped on and sometimes it detects my heartrate for a second but then tells me to check monitor and goes to zero. WTF am I doing wrong? I can't get it to consistently pick up my HR?

That used to happen to me all of the time. I now wet the band and my chest. I never have a problem when I do that. Good luck!!
  • Laura741
    Options
    Ok I wet the crap outta the strap and my chest and it worked :) Thanks all!!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options

This happens to me almost on a daily basis. Extremely frustrating. What is weird is the Treadmill can read my hearrate when my watch says "Check Heartrate". I've tried wetting my chest and the strap--to the point I have water dripping off of me. Some days it works without a glitch, but the majority of the time when I hit about 45min it starts acting goofy. Maybe I have mine positioned in the wrong spot. I have mine below my boobs. Right under the bra strap. Is this wrong? Should I have it above my boobs? I don't know. lol. I think my FT4 is junk.
  • paula1509
    paula1509 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My FT4 is a couple of years old and I find I have to soak the strap for it to work, i also don't think I washed it enough (I know :() I really scrub it now with a nail brush and it seems to help. I also keep mine running for around an hour after I finish class to allow my heart rate to come down fully