Chinese takout... what to get?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I don't typically have Chinese food, but tonight we're probably having take out... What do you typically get? I'm not overly fond of it so whatever works... Maybe just soup?

Replies

• fallenoaks50
    Options
    A vegetable medley with brown rice.

The place we usually go to has a bacon wrapped asparagus appetizer. Yum.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies with either shrimp or chicken. I will either have 1 egg roll or a small Wonton soup. Gotta live a little.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Do they have a menu online? You could check that out and google the calories if they're not listed.

My favorite local Taiwanese restaurant makes an incredible dish with tofu, broccoli, carrots, and garlic sauce. It doesn't sound that great but it's fantastic. I would look for rice with vegetables and skip noodles and food made with fried batter, like spring rolls and Colonel Tso's chicken.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    Beef with broccoli, prawns stir fried with veg, szechuan green beans, or ma po tofu. A starter of wonton, winter melon or egg drop soup.

Just avoid the deep fried starters, and the meat dishes that are battered and deep fried before being combined with sauce (sweet and sour chicken and lemon chicken fall into this category).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on how authentic your chinese restaurant is (ie do you actually see chinese people ever eating there? :laugh: )

my standard go to's are the fried pork chops (made with delicious 5 spices), steamed brown rice and steamed garlicy bok choy/spinach

or rice noodles with chicken and extra veggies (i usually tell them it's to charge me extra for the extra veggies, that way you really get a lot)

- steamed dumplings.

i live in chinatown, so i find the quality of food in those restaurants is much less greasy nd better tasting than the ones catering to americans
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Pork Fried Rice, Chicken Wings covered in hot sauce and ketchup, and an egg roll. Yum. But that's only good in the hood.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't typically have Chinese food, but tonight we're probably having take out... What do you typically get? I'm not overly fond of it so whatever works... Maybe just soup?

I don't usually eat Chinese either, but whenever I do, I typically stick with any kind of chicken breast that's not fried or breaded, vegetables (preferably steamed instead of stir fried), a tiny bit of steamed white rice, and a small veggie spring roll.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Chinese, but on the rare occasion when I do, I get chicken and cashews with boiled rice. I usually feel sick if I have other things. I haven't had Chinese for months.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Vegetable chow mein, vegetable mei fun, Buddhist delight, veggie spring rolls, rice, miso soup.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I order Steamed Chicken and Veggies with NO SAUCE for my kids. I usually give them a little bit of white rice too. I usually order schezuan green beans for myself....ok, they are really pretty oily, BUT I feel like since the bulk of it is veggies vs. meat (+ oil), it is slightly less terrible for me.

The best choice I have kind of figured out from MFP is sushi/california rolls. Lower cal/saturated fat...a little higher on the carbs with the rice, but I surprised at how many pieces I could eat for the cals.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Kung pao chicken with steamed white rice....yummmmmm
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Buddha's Delight is pretty tasty. I am vegetarian so you may want to ignore my advice but i love love love pan fried tofu and veggies (usually listed as "veggie tofu"). You can order it without sauce if you want.

I believe most menus also have a "healthy options" portion with lower calorie options without high amounts of sauce, calories, fat, and sodium. Although it's my opinion you aren't really going to get away with less than 6-700 calories anyways.

Good luck!
  • harleyjax
    harleyjax Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I generally get steamed chicken with veggies or tofu and veggies with steamed rice. I also get a side of sweet and sour sauce and use it lightly, gotta have some flavor!
  • bteddysmom
    Options
    Try moo goo gai pan. It is steamed chicken with veggies. I believe they use cornstrach, but perhaps they can cut it out or lower the amount. I also have them add garlic for additional flavor. Try using some low sodium soy sauce also.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I like hot and sour soup and any chicken or pork and veggie dish with the sauce on the side. Yummmm!!
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup. Steamed tofu and veggies. no sauce. brown rice if you so desire.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    And stuffed green peppers or tofu. They are typically stuffed with a combination of shrimp and monk fish. But avoid the stuffed aubergine. That tends to be relatively greasy.

A lot of people seem to like spring rolls and egg rolls, but I would avoid anything deep fried if you are concerned about calories.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    All the things that taste good.

No cat please.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Pork Fried Rice, Chicken Wings covered in hot sauce and ketchup, and an egg roll. Yum. But that's only good in the hood.

Wow you took me back to my childhood!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I usually order something like shrimp fried rice w/ lots of veggies and eat 1/2 and save the rest...or beef & broccoli with sauce on the side and just eat a bit of the rice. I usually do get a crab Rangoon, though, that is my downfall ;-)

Last time I ordered something (may be specific to the place I ordered from) called "Tangy Treasure", it was a mass of vegetables with small bits of shrimp, chicken & beef in a tangy sauce. Very good although crazy amount of sodium, I'm sure.