Replies

• airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Beef with broccoli, beef fried rice.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken and brocolli make sure they know steamed and cooked with no oil (I actually can't process oils). Sometimes I have rice other times make my own brown rice at home. It's actual a huge challenge for me as I am recovering from anoreixa.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    A couple more low calorie dishes which are braised rather than stir fried.

Hainan chicken and rice. This is essentially poached chicken with rice cooked in chicken boullion served with sliced cucumber.

Red cooked soy sauce chicken. This is chicken braised in soy sauce. Have it with steamed rice and a stir fried veg dish or chinese cucumber salad, if your restaurant does it. There is no oil in the salad dressing so very low cal, though the dressing will contain sugar.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The earlier reply that asked about whether they have an online menu has a good point. If you can look over the menu ahead of time, you'll feel less pressured to make a quick decision and will be able to make a good choice.

Whatever you get, it's probably a good idea to get the sauce on the side. Chinese takeout places are notorious for heavy, corn-syrup-laced sauces that are glopped all over their food, turning healthy things like Chicken with Broccoli into calorie-laced, sugary messes. If you get the sauce on the side, you can put a little bit on for taste, but not swim in it.

Avoid things like egg rolls and other fried things if you are concerned about calories.

I don't know what kinds of foods work for you while trying to lose weight. Personally, for me it's about the protein and veggies, and having a very small portion of white rice to cut "bad" carbs and more importantly, calories. For the same reason, I usually avoid noodles. But that's only what works for me; your tastes may be different.

Above all, *enjoy* a reasonable portion of a tasty dinner.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Chicken Chow Mein ^_^ and definitely chicken sweetcorn soup!! mmmmm!
  • Sweetpea6896
    Sweetpea6896 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Steamed Dumplings and Broccoli with Brown Sauce. :)
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I usually get steamed shrimp and broccoli and a small eggdrop soup... not bad on calories and very filling. I LOVE chinese food, I've just learned to change my choices a bit... don't get me wrong I am still a big fan of fried dumplings and pork lo mein and fried rice with the crunchy noodles and duck sauce, I just don't have that often anymore... Happy Eating!! :flowerforyou:
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    depends on how authentic your chinese restaurant is (ie do you actually see chinese people ever eating there? :laugh: )

LMAO! Always ask for the other menue... There are two in many authentic resturants... just to keep from scaring those who are not seeking the real stuff...

OP: Something steamed should be good. Seafood or veggies are also reasonably safe choices.
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I normally get anything on their steamed menu as you know thats cooked healthy. It doesnt taste the same like the other stuff lol but if you wand to eat chinese healthy thats the best bet :) I specifically order the steamed chicken and broccoli with white rice and garlic sauce on the side but I use very little of the garlic sauce as that can be full of calories on its own.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    something with sauce on the side, if you do n ot eat chinese a lot it may upset your stomach. i like to get broccoli with garlic sauce on the side or steamed veggies, and then rice with a little soy sauce. or chicken and broccoli if you eat meat with the sauce on the side otherwise they will douse that *kitten*