New HRM Question!!! :/

Options
Sooo, I got the Polar FT7 for Christmas yesterday and was elated!!!! Took it for a stroll today and it said on a 59 minute walk, I erased 889 calories. When I input the same info to the MFP data base, it said I would have burned 590. So naturally, that seems high to me when I always hear about MFP being the high estimate. I don't know a whole lot about these things, but I triple checked all my settings and they were accurate. My average heart rate for the walk was 165 and I often average a 3.65 mph pace to my walks, so I am asking, does that sound right?? Thanks in advance! I want to feel good about this burn, but am skeptical!

Replies

• scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    If your HR was avaraging 165 for the walk, I would say that the HRM calorie count was correct. I would double check to see if your HR was that high, because that seems high for that pace to me.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well, that seems to be a high calorie burn, but then again, 165 bpm for a walk is pretty high too. I would just do a reality check and part way through your walk just take your pulse the old fashioned way. If your heartrate is really that high, then that might be an accurate calorie burn. Good luck!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Did you program it to you correctly? Sex/Height/Weight/Age? I'm not doubting it, because an average hearrate of 165 with how long you walked would produce those results. Maybe it is just me, but how do you get your hearrate so high by "walking". I average about 150 and that is running and walking. When I run the highest my hr gets up to is about 164 and that is at a pace of 5.2mph. When I walk at 4.1mph it drops to about 146.

Edited to add: I don't mean to be rude--please don't think I am. I just saw your ticker. I'm guessing walking at your weight produces a higher heart rate. I would say your HRM is accurate.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,633 Member
    Options
    165 bpm sounds way too high for a walk. To keep my heart rate between 140-150 on the elliptical I need to sprint all out every 2 minutes for 20 seconds. I would test your heart rate transmitter against the free phone app azumio or just counting your pulse rate while at rest.

If your transmitter is defective, there is a 2Y warranty for Polar. Go to their website for instructions for getting repairs/replacements under warranty.

Around 300 an hour for walking is a reasonable estimate according to my dietician.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Id agree with checking on that HR. I have an FT7 also, have worn it daily for about 2 years. My MAX HR in a 45 minute spin class is about 165.

Not saying yours wasn't that high - it very well may have been! BUT -

Could you have a normal conversation at 165? Or would you be out of breath? if you were avg 165, you probably cant talk very much.

Were you sweating at 165? You should be.

Do you engage in vigorous exercise a lot? Or is a 3.65 mph walk a big push for you? If you were pushing, you could easily avg 165.

Again, not trying to come down on you at all, but if you are not in very good shape, your HR will run higher than normal - if you are well overweight AND out of shape, it would be higher still...

MFP calorie estimates are high for people who are FIT, but maybe low for people who are not!

If you are just beginning your journey, and you were wearing your HRM correctly, chances are your burn is accurate (you said you triple checked your settings).

As you get more and more fit, and weigh less and less, you will find you burn less too.

Either way, good luck with your new HRM - I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. the FT7 is worth every penny.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to figure what your resting HR is. Your HR on your walk does seem very high. I am a power walker and am currently using my treadmill. I use the Polar FT40 and this morning I walked for 81 minutes and burned 434 calories based on my HRM. I would be concerned if my HR was this high from a walk. Good Luck!
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am going with the same everyone else is saying. I say you get a free app like RUNKEEPER. It has each event and pace and Cal counter. I use MFP, RK, and a Polar F7 and than take a avg from the 3. Runkeeper is normally closer to HRM tha MFP is. On you HRM did you do test activities to get your high and resting HR?

Besides all that I would say great burn and great job on what you have already done. Keep it up.
  • Koloss_Kelsier
    Options
    I suppose I should add more to this story. Lol. I currently weigh in at 348, so am a big man. Haha. I was sweaty as hell and probably wouldn't be able to chat, no. Lol.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Trust your FT7 it is working out your burn
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should add more to this story. Lol. I currently weigh in at 348, so am a big man. Haha. I was sweaty as hell and probably wouldn't be able to chat, no. Lol.

I wouldn't eat all those calories back.
  • OlyTriNoob
    Options

I wouldn't eat all those calories back.

There's one study I read that found that Polar (specifically the FT60) overestimated calories burned by about 27/28%. I would multiple the number it gives you by that amount...so, more like 640-650 burned.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I think it is pretty close to accurate. I am assuming you put in your height, weight and age since without taking into account your size, the calorie burn wouldn't be so big. I started at 285 lbs and regularly burned 1,000+ calories per hour when I started. As I shrank, so did my calorie burn rate. Keep up the great work!!
  • Koloss_Kelsier
    Options
    Checked it out and my resting heart rate was 92. Still not knowledgeable on all of this.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Your resting hr is best checked when you wake up in the morning and before you get up. It's your maximum hr that's most important for setting training levels. For now, doing what your doing is perfect.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The energy cost of walking is relatively consistent. There are equations to predict the energy cost of walking that are well tested and relatively accurate. Many of the MFP calorie counts are way off, but for walking they are pretty accurate.

There are some factors that can affect the accuracy of those equations, especially if one is walking outdoors. The primary one obviously is hills, incline walking can increase intensity substantially. At a certain point, extra weight can also add to the aerobic intensity, independent of the weight itself.

At your weight, I would consider the MFP number to be the minimum. I would also suspect that the HRM number is an overestimate. The FT7 uses an estimated age-predicted maximum heart rate. Probably 1/3 of the population has an actual max HR that is notably higher than the age-predicted estimate. If you are in that group, then the FT7 will overestimate your calories because it assumes that you are working at a higher % of maximum than you actually are.

Resting heart rate has nothing to do with calories burned during exercise.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'd heard the same thing as you, that MFP estimates are high. As another commenter said, MFP may be high for fit people.

However, I'm quite overweight & out of shape, and find that for my walking, MFP comes in lower than MapMyRun and the online pace calculator I use.

Good advice from others on how to ensure your HRM is giving best possible info. Just wanted to confirm that you're not alone in getting lowest # from MFP!

Wishing you all success :-)
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    1 Joule (a measure of work) is equivalent to 1 kg*(m/s)^2.

If you look at the equation you can see that it is directly proportional to mass. Obviously it's not quite this simple and straightforward as there are other variables (such as heart rate, form, efficiency, etc), but you get the idea. Based on your weight, the calorie count you're getting may be accurate.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I gt my polar ft7 for Xmas too and ask same question I am doing insanity 23 yrs old weigh 156 n it said my max hr reach 192 and I burned 580 cals I deducted 100 cals from that but few suggested my hr was high my average was 180
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how to handle this question as well. I have a fitbit flex and a treadmill. Prior to getting the Polar FT7 for Christmas I would use MFP numbers for treadmill session. I usually found that the treadmill calories matched pretty closely to the MFP.
    Now with the HRM I am finding large differences. I am not a big person size 10-12 girl. I do have a higher resting rate of 80 bpm. An example would be:

Treadmill 67 min, 449 calories, 4.0 miles (per treadmill)

HRM: 632 calories - avg heart rate 139 and max heart rate 171

I usually do some sprints and then have to cut the speed to allow for me to be able to "breathe" again. I keep my incline at 3% for the entire time. My sprints are not very long but my recovery time for my heart rate seems to take quite awhile.

I am not sure what I should be putting down for calories between the two.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sooo, I got the Polar FT7 for Christmas yesterday and was elated!!!! Took it for a stroll today and it said on a 59 minute walk, I erased 889 calories. When I input the same info to the MFP data base, it said I would have burned 590.

net calories burned walking = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked

HRMs are a poor choice for measuring walking burn. The MFP number is gross, not net calories, so it is effectively double-counting. For walking, cut the MFP number in half and you'll at least be in the right ballpark.

Level of fitness has close to zero impact on how many calories are burned walking X miles.