Pull up program for those who can do 0-1

Options
The program is for four weeks and you do the negative section only, so get on a step so your chin is above the bar then let yourself down for the time prescribed, thats one rep.
This is a four week program with 2 workouts per week.

Week one

Sets - 3
Reps - 5-6
Grip - Chin Up
Time of descent - 5-6 seconds
Rest between sets - 1 minute

Week 2 is the same but with a neutral grip instead.

Week 3

Sets - 2
Reps - 5-6
Grip - Neutral Grip
Time of descent - 8-10 seconds

Week 4

Sets - 2
Reps - 8-10
Grip - Overhand Pull up
Time of descent - 8-10 seconds

That is the program for those who can do 0-1 pull ups. After this try and see what you can do on the bar!

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    One bit of warning, negatives can be very damaging to the muscle tissue. Make sure you properly warm up the muscle before doing the exercise. Practice good nutrition and rest. And prepare for some massive DOMS. Done properly, you should see some strength improvements.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine his programs would work, but if I couldn't do pullups, I'd use one of the machines that assists someone with pull ups or perhaps use a 'Band" wrapped over the bar and under a foot for some assistance, or just strengthen up with some overhead lat pulls until the strength develops
  • KatiCoufal
    KatiCoufal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine his programs would work, but if I couldn't do pullups, I'd use one of the machines that assists someone with pull ups or perhaps use a 'Band" wrapped over the bar and under a foot for some assistance, or just strengthen up with some overhead lat pulls until the strength develops

for me, the lat pull downs themselves were never going to get me there. i'm not sure why, logically it seems it would, maybe i wasn't aggressive enough in going up in weight. for me it didn't happen until i just got on the bar and kept doing what i could until i finally started doing them.

although the movement appears identical, somehow lat pull downs feel a lot different to me.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    been working on this, stepping off stool and reaching up to get head above bar, then lowering down slowly. Starting using bands to try to improve farther.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

for me, the lat pull downs themselves were never going to get me there. i'm not sure why, logically it seems it would, maybe i wasn't aggressive enough in going up in weight. for me it didn't happen until i just got on the bar and kept doing what i could until i finally started doing them.

although the movement appears identical, somehow lat pull downs feel a lot different to me.

Pull-ups involve a higher degree of reciprocal strength than pull downs. It's really not the same move so your experience makes sense.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've got a the perfect door mount one. works ok, only use it on the road. I can see there being a quality issue with the door mount ones, but at home i have one bolted to the ceiling. if you go that route, i'd just get the cheapest one, its just a piece of metal bolted to the ceiling. it will stay there.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    can anyone please recommend a good brand of pull up bar, I don't trust amazon reviews. What about these two ones anyonehave them?

Power Gym
    Perfect fitness

I want to work on my lats

I use the portable bar from rogue fitness. Anything you can get two straps over will work. I put eye hooks in the ceiling for doing it inside, but any tree branch or whatever will do. Doesn't have to be level.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i've got a the perfect door mount one. works ok, only use it on the road. I can see there being a quality issue with the door mount ones, but at home i have one bolted to the ceiling. if you go that route, i'd just get the cheapest one, its just a piece of metal bolted to the ceiling. it will stay there.

I'm not able to use the bolting ones, I need to be able to remove it from the door frame

I'm not able to use the bolting ones, I need to be able to remove it from the door frame

Those are better anyway, imho. The bolt-in ones limit your range of motion a bit more. This is the one I've got, but I think they're all about the same, really:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pro-source/doorway-chin-up-and-pull-up-bar.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&mr:trackingCode=D1308452-DD3B-E211-8D02-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:device=c&mr:ad=32938198026&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=58309621026

Oh but some socks on the rubber end where it meets the door frame, if you want to spare the moulding. :p
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Tagging as I'd love to be able to do pull ups in 2014.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't see this mentioned often, but in negatives, be sure your back/lats are engaged. Don't let your shoulders bunch up around your ears. Same with the lat pull down machine. You can also practice engaging your lats from a hanging position.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    can anyone please recommend a good brand of pull up bar, I don't trust amazon reviews. What about these two ones anyonehave them?

Power Gym
    Perfect fitness

I want to work on my lats

I've got the "Iron Gym Pullup Bar", the kind that just fits over your doorframe without any screws or bolts, and I love it. I got it for like 30 bucks from a sports supply store and I think they have them on Amazon too.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I got a cheapo golds gym one that was similar, like 20-30 bucks. If it matters to you check the weight limit on the bar, most of them have a limit of something like 200 to 240lbs. I was exactly 240 when I started using it. It'd strain and bend a bit but hold me. I just wouldn't want to try and do a running jump at it. :wink:
  • chatty826
    Options
    Ive heard amazing things about the Armstrong pull up training
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

This.

If you want to get better, do the Armstrong program. Not some random program a user from MFP has created, unless s/he has copied and pasted it from a reputable source.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

the only way i've been able to sort of approximate a lat pulldown with a pull down is to do the pulldowns in a position where i'm not seated but more in a squat. i think having to engage the core makes a difference

would love to be able to do pull ups again
  • boxfitliftmo
    Options

This.

If you want to get better, do the Armstrong program. Not some random program a user from MFP has created, unless s/he has copied and pasted it from a reputable source.

It is a program.. an avenue.. its worked for me as i can now do 10 pull ups.

Also your post was very rude must I add!