Looking into hiring a personal trainer

Options
Let me start by saying, This isn't a knock on HIIT or personal trainers- I know plenty of people on here who have had a lot of success with HIIT and/or hiring a personal trainer, I'm just either unclear on what I should expect from a personal trainer, and am frustrated that I can't seem to get the kind of help I'm looking for.

I've had a difficult issue with personal trainers, but I'm looking into getting one again. I'm mostly interested in developing a routine of sorts that includes a balance of cardio and strength training. I have a couple of injuries that I'd like to work around/rebuild strength around, but am otherwise fairly flexible and mobile. My issue is that any trainer I've tried to work with has insisted that I do HIIT, (and a couple have urged that I go on a diet of canned tuna fish and brown rice??). Is this a typical kind of thing? I don't feel like I'm being listened to- I'd like to develop a 60 minute workout- 30 cardio/30 strength with a different focus for strength training each session, and I'm told that isn't something that trainers do and that it's the least effective form of exercise so they can't in good conscience support that and that HIIT is THE only way to go if I'm trying to lose weight. My argument is that I really can't afford to get injured and I'm not comfortable with taking on that risk, effective as it might have the potential to be. It surprises me though when a trainer's bio specifically states that they work with clients to develop a balanced approach to exercise and diet that there wouldn't be more flexibility around client need or preference.

Am I looking in the wrong place- do I need a life coach or some other coach instead? I know a lot of people have had success with HIIT, but my thinking is that if I develop exercise routines that I actually enjoy that I'm more likely to stick with them. My few times doing HIIT-like workouts have not been enjoyable, in fact, I've dreaded going to them. I've had a fair amount of success with running and doing some weight lifting and would just like to fine tune some of the weights I do in order to make sure I have good form, to add some that are perhaps more effective/safer/etc., and to develop some solid routines so that I'm not wandering around the gym trying to decide which weights to lift and wasting time.

I'd really like to know or hear about any methods other than HIIT that trainers might use and where to find them, and/or if there are any good apps out there that might work in place of a personal trainer if there isn't going to be a way to get around the HIIT thing. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Just tell the trainer you've got the cardio & diet part covered and only want help with strength training. I don't see what the problem is. Most trainers like helping with lifting. If they give cardio or diet advice, just nod your head.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Just walk in with a list of what you want and what your goals are. I told my trainer I wanted to fix my form on all the lifts, I wanted to do dips and pull ups, and I wanted to improve the stats of my 4 main lifts. I also said that I wanted to compete in bodybuilding, so I needed to understand what a good bodybuilding routine looked like.
  • chatty826
    Options
    I really love and recc crossfit but I saw a trainer for quite awhile before that and honestly my trainer spent almost all our time lifting except for a warmup of cardio she had me do before we started. Tell the trainer what you want and if you can't find it look into trainers who have olympic lifting backgrounds. Doesn't mean you have to beast it out but they will be really good helping with form.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! It's true- I do pretty much have the cardio down. Diet could always use help but it's not for lack of knowing what I should eat. :tongue: Zeroing in on the strength training part is a great idea.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    make sure you articulate what you want to get out from the PT sessions with the trainer or the trainer's boss in advance. You know your body, you know your goals, you know your personality, you know what works for you and what doesnt. Spend the time and make your expectations clear - it will help your PT

when i started with my PT I made it clear to him that I dont care about weight loss and that my goal is getting fit and able to run the run leg of a triathlon which is the last leg so one is pretty tired by then...so we worked on fitness...I did lose some weight and more inches in the process but that is a welcomed side-effect :) However if I havent made my preference clear he would have chosen different exercises for me leaving me frustrated that I am doing the wrong thing or not making progress towards my goal...I think being open about your expectations is important...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP it can be hard finding the right good trainer since so many really dont know what the heck they are talking about and pretty much just spout off a bunch of psuedoscience.

you definitely want to find one that will listen to you and YOUR goals rather than give you what they want to do.
    i would also suggest not giving one of your goals as weight loss since that's vague and primarily comes from eating at a deficit not what you do in the gym. instead give your trainer fitness related goals that you want to achieve.

- if you give the potential trainer strength related goals then that should also be a good test to see who to stick with.
    -any trainer that tells you that you should stay away from heavy weights or free weights (there are a lot of them out there) or that fall back on showing you the cutesy "functional strength training" exercises because they dont know how to squat, deadlift, clean, bench press, overhead press etc you should shy away from.
    -i'd also stay away from any that try to perpetrate the idea that spot reduction works and will have you do zillion of reps on your "problem areas" . i see so many trainers in my gym having overweight women who want to get stronger do stuff like bicep curls and tricep kickbacks. what a waste of time when these women can be learning to do proper pushups, bench press, barbell rows and assisted pullups

oh and odds are you werent really doing HIIT, just intervals. there's a HUGE difference. any trainer that would recommend HIIT right off the bat either doesn't understand what HIIT is (and shouldn't be used as a trainer) or is really irresponsible
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    OP it can be hard finding the right good trainer since so many really dont know what the heck they are talking about and pretty much just spout off a bunch of psuedoscience.

ask the trainer to show you their qualification...simple as that....it is your money, it is your body but most importantly it is your TIME..you are making an effort you have the right to know that the person is qualified..Also - do a google search..:) just see whether the trainer you have in mind is present online or not...any reviews?
  • GabeLaverty
    GabeLaverty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I know there are a lot of those types of trainers out there. Some people are stuck in their mindset and insist that there is only one way to do something. Here's what I would do:

1. If you have access to a gym with trainers, or know how to contact a private trainer, do some interviewing. I view starting with a new client as a job interview. Ask them questions about what their style is and how they would get you to your goal. Every trainer should be able to draw a map from where you're starting out to your goal. Ask them what their path would involve and ask if they will adapt their training program to your needs.

2. Make your goals and expectations clear, and prioritize them. Tell the trainer you would like to lose weight, but really want to focus on good form and learning how to do strength training. I do primarily strength training with my clients in-session, and advise them on the cardio to do on their own. Also, as a trainer, I make sure to explain to my clients that with strength training alone, the weight will not come off immediately, but you will get stronger, lose inches, and have more energy. Once you have developed the baseline strength and established a habit, then you can focus on the weight loss.

3. HIIT is not best for all people, especially those who are concerned about injury. A trainer who followed the American College of Sports Medicine Guidelines should know that the order for increasing exercise effectiveness is FREQUENCY, TIME, then INTENSITY last. Find a trainer who will give you a plan for gradually becoming more active more days of the week. They should then focus on increasing your endurance, helping you work out for longer periods of time [I sometimes use moderate intensity intervals to help my clients gradually increase their workout time]. Once you have a consistent program working out 2-4 times a week, at least 20-30 minutes each session, THEN you will be ready for gradually increasing the intensity and incorporating intervals.

Good luck finding a trainer! Remember, as the client, you have the choice of who you hire. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and get your trainer's reasons for doing something. If it makes sense, go with it, but if the trainer refuses to listen to your needs, they are not the trainer for you.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying, This isn't a knock on HIIT or personal trainers- I know plenty of people on here who have had a lot of success with HIIT and/or hiring a personal trainer, I'm just either unclear on what I should expect from a personal trainer, and am frustrated that I can't seem to get the kind of help I'm looking for.

I've had a difficult issue with personal trainers, but I'm looking into getting one again. I'm mostly interested in developing a routine of sorts that includes a balance of cardio and strength training. I have a couple of injuries that I'd like to work around/rebuild strength around, but am otherwise fairly flexible and mobile. My issue is that any trainer I've tried to work with has insisted that I do HIIT, (and a couple have urged that I go on a diet of canned tuna fish and brown rice??). Is this a typical kind of thing? I don't feel like I'm being listened to- I'd like to develop a 60 minute workout- 30 cardio/30 strength with a different focus for strength training each session, and I'm told that isn't something that trainers do and that it's the least effective form of exercise so they can't in good conscience support that and that HIIT is THE only way to go if I'm trying to lose weight. My argument is that I really can't afford to get injured and I'm not comfortable with taking on that risk, effective as it might have the potential to be. It surprises me though when a trainer's bio specifically states that they work with clients to develop a balanced approach to exercise and diet that there wouldn't be more flexibility around client need or preference.

Am I looking in the wrong place- do I need a life coach or some other coach instead? I know a lot of people have had success with HIIT, but my thinking is that if I develop exercise routines that I actually enjoy that I'm more likely to stick with them. My few times doing HIIT-like workouts have not been enjoyable, in fact, I've dreaded going to them. I've had a fair amount of success with running and doing some weight lifting and would just like to fine tune some of the weights I do in order to make sure I have good form, to add some that are perhaps more effective/safer/etc., and to develop some solid routines so that I'm not wandering around the gym trying to decide which weights to lift and wasting time.

I'd really like to know or hear about any methods other than HIIT that trainers might use and where to find them, and/or if there are any good apps out there that might work in place of a personal trainer if there isn't going to be a way to get around the HIIT thing. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

are you already the member of a gym? When I was looking into working with a PT, I observed the one at my gym. I watched him working with another woman--to see what he had her doing, and the way he treated her. I was impressed so I did hire him specifically. Six sessions was so enjoyable that it turned into 24 sessions
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

ask the trainer to show you their qualification...simple as that....it is your money, it is your body but most importantly it is your TIME..you are making an effort you have the right to know that the person is qualified..Also - do a google search..:) just see whether the trainer you have in mind is present online or not...any reviews?

the thing is many gyms (assuming the OP will be getting the trainer through the gym) already do the vetting in terms of accreditation. the problem isn't that people arent accredited, the problem is that the market is glutted with different types of accreditation, so much so that being accredited doesn't mean much.

there are plenty of accredited PTs who will tell you that the only way to lose weight is to eat 1200 calories a day, do 90 minutes of cardio a day and not do weights over 10 pounds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I know there are a lot of those types of trainers out there. Some people are stuck in their mindset and insist that there is only one way to do something. Here's what I would do:

1. If you have access to a gym with trainers, or know how to contact a private trainer, do some interviewing. I view starting with a new client as a job interview. Ask them questions about what their style is and how they would get you to your goal. Every trainer should be able to draw a map from where you're starting out to your goal. Ask them what their path would involve and ask if they will adapt their training program to your needs.

2. Make your goals and expectations clear, and prioritize them. Tell the trainer you would like to lose weight, but really want to focus on good form and learning how to do strength training. I do primarily strength training with my clients in-session, and advise them on the cardio to do on their own. Also, as a trainer, I make sure to explain to my clients that with strength training alone, the weight will not come off immediately, but you will get stronger, lose inches, and have more energy. Once you have developed the baseline strength and established a habit, then you can focus on the weight loss.

3. HIIT is not best for all people, especially those who are concerned about injury. A trainer who followed the American College of Sports Medicine Guidelines should know that the order for increasing exercise effectiveness is FREQUENCY, TIME, then INTENSITY last. Find a trainer who will give you a plan for gradually becoming more active more days of the week. They should then focus on increasing your endurance, helping you work out for longer periods of time [I sometimes use moderate intensity intervals to help my clients gradually increase their workout time]. Once you have a consistent program working out 2-4 times a week, at least 20-30 minutes each session, THEN you will be ready for gradually increasing the intensity and incorporating intervals.

Good luck finding a trainer! Remember, as the client, you have the choice of who you hire. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and get your trainer's reasons for doing something. If it makes sense, go with it, but if the trainer refuses to listen to your needs, they are not the trainer for you.
    THIS. A good trainer will listen to concerns of a client.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would also second the idea of speaking with the training supervisor or club manager and outlining your specific goals. That person should be able to match your needs with a trainer with the background and knowledge to address your issues.

The basic problem with many trainers is that, if your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice. I wish that I had more positive experiences with personal trainers, but the ones that I have worked with have been so insistent on doing things a certain way (and yes, they called it HIIT), and have talked down to me in such a condescending manner that it's been really discouraging.

I belong to Anytime Fitness, and most of the facilities have at least one trainer available, and there are special deals for signing up for multiple sessions. I just don't want to get stuck with a trainer who is going to insist on doing things a certain way.

Does anyone know much about ACSM and what kind of education the trainers receive? Most of the Anytime Fitness trainers in my area have been certified through them, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific personal training program they are taught to use (such as HIIT) or is it more thorough than that? I wasn't sure if there are specific schools or programs that are more reputable than others, and if so, which ones those are.
  • mr_no_xcuses
    mr_no_xcuses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer through NFPT, National Federation of Professional Trainers. ACSM, along with NASM, are both reputable personal trainer certification program, but it doesn't determine the quality of the personal trainer, similar to how a certain GPA doesn't automatically guarantee a certain quality of work performance. I've trained at a gym before, and although there are many great trainers at franchise gyms, a lot of the trainers don't care about, or don't listen to the clients. I recommend trying some intro sessions at your gym, or you could try a facility that specializes in personal training.

As far as HIIT, it is an effective training method, but it's not the only method. It's what's popular now, so a lot of trainers are pushing it to the clients. HIIT can be any combination of exercises, so as long as the exercises are performed correctly and at an intensity level that's comfortable for you, injuries shouldn't be a concern. A great trainer should use a variety of training methods and not just prescribe a one-size-fits-all solution.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know much about ACSM and what kind of education the trainers receive? Most of the Anytime Fitness trainers in my area have been certified through them, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific personal training program they are taught to use (such as HIIT) or is it more thorough than that? I wasn't sure if there are specific schools or programs that are more reputable than others, and if so, which ones those are.

Like the link above said, ACSM is a good cert to look for, as is NSCA and NASM. All 3 teach to use exercises appropriate for clients' abilities, not prescribe the same exercises for everyone, including HIIT.
    Of course, trainers are free to deviate from what they learned and prescribe whatever they want. That's why you should meet for an assessment first and/or watch them train other clients.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice. I wish that I had more positive experiences with personal trainers, but the ones that I have worked with have been so insistent on doing things a certain way (and yes, they called it HIIT), and have talked down to me in such a condescending manner that it's been really discouraging.

I belong to Anytime Fitness, and most of the facilities have at least one trainer available, and there are special deals for signing up for multiple sessions. I just don't want to get stuck with a trainer who is going to insist on doing things a certain way.

I think it is just a matter of finding the right one. From what people have told me, I hit the jackpot with the two trainers I have worked with. They pushed me hard, but took into consideration my concerns about my physical limitations.

I would say that you need to look into giving several trainers a trial run--maybe 2 sessions--to see if you click with them. Both my trainers got several sessions to show me that they were right for me. They were.