Strength Training @ Home

Options
Right now I do my cardio at home and strength training at the gym... I'd like to start doing strength at home. Right now I have a routine that takes me about 70mins at the gym consisting of squats w/ weights, Deadlifts, bench press, incline press, dips, hanging leg raises, pec flies, leg press, single leg press, and calf press.

I'm thinking of getting a power tower to be able to do dips and leg raises still. Barbell set to keep doing Deadlifts. I don't have enough to get a smith machine but I could get a squat rack to keep doing squats, and chest/incline press(already have a bench at home). I saw a bowflex uppercut that wasn't too much that let's you do pec flies. The only thing I really couldn't get is a leg press because those are just wayyyy too expensive for me... Is there an alternative? Is it best to just keep my gym membership?

Thanks for any helpful input!

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You are doing squats...you could technically drop the leg presses all together really. After all, they are already compounded into the squats. But if you are still wanting to so something like that, you could bring in step ups, and then add weight using dumbbells....which is a much more realistic movement for the leg anyway...imo.

And squat racks over smith machines, imo.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

Those give just as much of a workout? Like Thera-bands? I have some of those from when I was in PT

You are doing squats...you could technically drop the leg presses all together really. After all, they are already compounded into the squats. But if you are still wanting to so something like that, you could bring in step ups, and then add weight using dumbbells....which is a much more realistic movement for the leg anyway...imo.

Squats are just as good? When I was in PT they had me doing leg presses so I've just continued with it. I like to make sure I get good leg workouts to help strengthen muscles for running
  • rduhlir
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

Those give just as much of a workout? Like Thera-bands? I have some of those from when I was in PT

Squats are just as good? When I was in PT they had me doing leg presses so I've just continued with it. I like to make sure I get good leg workouts to help strengthen muscles for running

Then step ups and lunges and squats....leg presses honestly do nothing for running. At least that is how I see it. How often in running do you sit on your butt and push something with your legs? Compare that to how often you have to step up things on trails, or run up steps or hills. And lunges are not only used for stretching out...add some weights and do walking lunges. Works wonders for your push off muscles, which creates power for your turn overs.

And just to show you how much is worked in squats:

Leg-Muscles-Used-Squats.jpg
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

Then step ups and lunges and squats....leg presses honestly do nothing for running. At least that is how I see it. How often in running do you sit on your butt and push something with your legs? Compare that to how often you have to step up things on trails, or run up steps or hills. And lunges are not only used for stretching out...add some weights and do walking lunges. Works wonders for your push off muscles, which creates power for your turn overs.

And just to show you how much is worked in squats:

Awesome!! Thanks for the info!! I don't feel so bad now if I don't have access to a leg press
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

Resistance bands are great for mobility work. You'll 'outgrow them' strength-wise in a couple of weeks.

Squats are better than leg presses. Heavy barbell squats. You can put more stress on the body that way.

And they beat step ups/lunges/etc. Though step ups and lunges are good accessory work and can help bunches with stability.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

Resistance bands are great for mobility work. You'll 'outgrow them' strength-wise in a couple of weeks.

Squats are better than leg presses. Heavy barbell squats. You can put more stress on the body that way.

And they beat step ups/lunges/etc. Though step ups and lunges are good accessory work and can help bunches with stability.

Thanks!! Right now I usually do 5 sets of 20 squats w/ 60lbs on the barbell... Does that mean I should skip the resistance bands? I can leg press 200 so I feel like it does more since it's more weight but guess squats are still better?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do leg press if you are doing squats and deadlifts. If you aren't already doing them you can add front squats and straight leg deadlifts to work your legs more.

You don't need a Smith Machine. Squat rack will be sufficient. I work out at home with far less than you have and so far so good! :)
  • rduhlir
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

I have to say that steps ups are worth bringing in, especially from another runner's view. Squats are great for all around leg power, but nothing helps develop leg climbing ablility like step ups. They are great for balance and strength building, which results in better hill climbing abilities and much better trail stabilization.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Keep doing squats w weights by all means if you enjoy them, but also consider bodyweight movements like the Pistol Squat or any progression of the Pistol Squat if you are still building enough strength to do one.

If you are outgrowing the resistance band, just throw another one on!

Folks say you will soon out-train bodyweight exercises, but there are really no limits if you study the progressions to keep challenging the muscles.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

Thanks!! Right now I usually do 5 sets of 20 squats w/ 60lbs on the barbell... Does that mean I should skip the resistance bands? I can leg press 200 so I feel like it does more since it's more weight but guess squats are still better?

Less reps more weight for the squats. Heavy lifting helps runners too. A strong core is a happy core, and that is exactly what squats do. They work your core perfectly because you have to balance yourself with some as you go up and down. Same thing with the deadlifts....focus on the core.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

5 sets of 20? That's not really strength work.
    Start moving the weight up and the reps down.

My wife was doing 3 sets of 5 at 185 lbs in about a month of squatting.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    2 words.

Resistance bands.

You can place many bands together. I have 3x 80lb ones that I can hook up all at once. You will only 'outgrow' them if you can not fit anymore.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

They should highlight the abs and core stabilizers in this image. 5x10x50% 1RM squat session will really work the core. A lot better than any ab isolation work. Between DL and squats, I don't need any ab work.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    You don't need to do leg press if you are doing squats and deadlifts. If you aren't already doing them you can add front squats and straight leg deadlifts to work your legs more.

You don't need a Smith Machine. Squat rack will be sufficient. I work out at home with far less than you have and so far so good! :)

I'll have to look up front squats.. Thanks!! I haven't really tried any other variations

2 words.

Resistance bands.

I have to say that steps ups are worth bringing in, especially from another runner's view. Squats are great for all around leg power, but nothing helps develop leg climbing ablility like step ups. They are great for balance and strength building, which results in better hill climbing abilities and much better trail stabilization.

Step ups are just where you step up and down.. right? I'm not sure if it's what I'm thinking of

Keep doing squats w weights by all means if you enjoy them, but also consider bodyweight movements like the Pistol Squat or any progression of the Pistol Squat if you are still building enough strength to do one.

If you are outgrowing the resistance band, just throw another one on!

Folks say you will soon out-train bodyweight exercises, but there are really no limits if you study the progressions to keep challenging the muscles.

Cool, I'll try adding more resistance bands!

2 words.

Resistance bands.

Less reps more weight for the squats. Heavy lifting helps runners too. A strong core is a happy core, and that is exactly what squats do. They work your core perfectly because you have to balance yourself with some as you go up and down. Same thing with the deadlifts....focus on the core.

5 sets of 20? That's not really strength work.
    Start moving the weight up and the reps down.

My wife was doing 3 sets of 5 at 185 lbs in about a month of squatting.

I read more reps/less weight builds strength and less reps/more weight builds more muscle.....? Is that wrong?
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I don't want bigger legs... I read to get stronger you do more reps/less weight? My arms I want more toned so I try to do less reps/heavier weights............ ?
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Step ups are just where you step up and down.. right? I'm not sure if it's what I'm thinking of
    Yes...stepping up onto a bench or platform. And as you go on you add in weights, dummbells or a barbell (but if you do this do it on a lower step as it throws of your center of gravity a tad). They work great...since I started bringing them in, climbing hills has become a lot easier.
    I read more reps/less weight builds strength and less reps/more weight builds more muscle.....? Is that wrong?

Yes...you are a female honey. In order for us to build the muscle you are thinking it takes year and years of bulking and cutting. And even then most women need supplement help because we lack certain male organs that help them build muscle the way they do. Less weight/more reps is basically another form of muscle cardio....you build endurance that way. The way to build true strength is bringing more weight. Heavy lifting doesn't necissarily mean lifting 200+ lbs, it is just progressively lifting heavier.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I don't want bigger legs... I read to get stronger you do more reps/less weight? My arms I want more toned so I try to do less reps/heavier weights............ ?

Yeah, won't happen unless you are bulking and cutting....and that takes a long time for females. In order to get stronger you have to lift heavier.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Yes...stepping up onto a bench or platform. And as you go on you add in weights, dummbells or a barbell (but if you do this do it on a lower step as it throws of your center of gravity a tad). They work great...since I started bringing them in, climbing hills has become a lot easier.

Yes...you are a female honey. In order for us to build the muscle you are thinking it takes year and years of bulking and cutting. And even them most women need supplement help because we lack certain male organs that help them build muscle the way they do. Less weight/more reps is basically another form of muscle cardio....you build endurance that way. The way to build true strength is bringing more weight. Heavy lifting doesn't necissarily mean lifting 200+ lbs, it is just progressively lifting heavier.

Ohhh okay! How many sets/reps should I try to do for squats to build strength? I'll have to try the step ups! How long/often do you usually do them?
  • rduhlir
    Options

They should highlight the abs and core stabilizers in this image. 5x10x50% 1RM squat session will really work the core. A lot better than any ab isolation work. Between DL and squats, I don't need any ab work.
    And shoulders...I often times engage my shoulders to help balance the bar. And the back, because it helps you maintain form. There are a lot of muscles not highlighted that are used in squats....I was just trying to show her why leg presses aren't needed if she is doing squats.