protein shakes good or bad?

Options
whats the word good or bad, got a cupboard full of it, was going to have it for breakfast as i dont normally have any breakfast, need help to shift this weight. :drinker:

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    better than nothing and you have it in your cupboard might as well not waste it.

its not an answer to weight loss though might bulk up the protein in you diet, but it wont help weight come off. I sure wish it did!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Mix protein powder with oatmeal! It is my favorite breakfast :)
    You'll stay full for ages~

Adding more protein to my diet really helped control my hunger, keep my blood sugar stable, and reduce cravings. All of these things helped me to have more energy, and to eat healthier and eat less, which in turn caused weight loss!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Neither good or bad, but often a waste of money. It wouldn't be bad to have it for breakfast but I wouldn't have it alone. It won't really have an effect on your weight as such.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have not thought of the mixing protien with oatmeal... cool have to try that..:glasses:
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I generally have a scoop of protein or so a day. it helps me reach my protein goal for the day and i function a lot better without the food "crashes".
  • AlisonAgnew50
    AlisonAgnew50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks for that, will have a go at it, but do you cook the oats first, as the taste of them in cold water no cooked don't sound to nice?
  • AlisonAgnew50
    AlisonAgnew50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your advise.
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I cook the oats, add protein powder, blueberries and a little peanut butter and mix it up :) Soooo good!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether the brand works for your body.

I ***LOVE*** protein shakes for breakfast! If I can't make eggs (cuz I'm rushed) that that's what I do. I find that protein shakes hold off hunger better than any other breakfast food so I can typically make it to lunch without a snack.

I also find that protein shakes are excellent for reducing soreness and speeding up recovery after a tough workout.

Only problems are 1) if it's nasty I won't drink it. 2) my system is kinda sensitive. Splenda makes me swell up and nutrasweet gives me headaches so a lot of protein shakes on the market don't do well for me. For example, I sell Shakeology on my website but even though a lot of my fellow coaches LOVE it, I find it "backs me up." So right now my favorites are the chocolate ones by a company called Vega which you can get at the health food store.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes, cook the oats first! Then mix them with protein powder and whatever else you like. Almond milk, fruit, nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds, canned pumpkin (anything~)