How long can you keep up with logging

Options

Replies

• septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 140+ days now and I REALLY don't want to break the streak. The day I had my gallbladder out, I logged half a glass of apple juice pre-surgery just to make sure I wouldn't end up with an empty diary if I ended up too sleepy/sick to get online the rest of the day. I agree with what a lot of other people have said ... it's not hard once you're in the habit, and it keeps me accountable.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's not hard. You can easily set up recipes etc. It takes moments to log when your preparing food. In reality you're just making excuses

No one is making excuses. Its unrealistic to think you are going to have to log for the rest of your life. Not to mention how inaccurate it is. If I eat someone elses cooking I dont know every single spice they put on it, I can't weigh out every single squirt of ketchup that is like OCD. I understand to an extent but its tedious logging every single spice and ****.

It's tedious but for me it is either do that or start creeping up back to my highest or maybe more. It is inaccurate, but much more accurate than trying to eye ball portions and guessing calorie counts on your own.

You can either just get it done or complain and not log everything as accurately as possible. Just be prepared when/if you decide to make a post wondering why you aren't losing or gaining (depending on your goals and issues) that you will most certainly be asked right away: "Are you weighing your food? Are you logging everything? Are you logging everyday?"

And be prepared that when you say no to these questions, that you will be advised to basically do what you are complaining about doing right now.

So either work with the inaccuracies as best you can and at least have a clue as to where you stand intake wise...or don't log and keep trying to adjust your intake by eyeballing like you probably have tried to do in the past.

Even condiments can add up because most of us are very clueless about portions. What we think may be a tablespoon is actually a lot more. Measuring and weighing things out teaches us about portions and the repetition allows it to become more solid in our minds.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on your preference. As long as you are losing I think it's ok to not log. I personally don't log because for me I know it's not something that I would want to do long term. If I can't do it forever, I won't do it now. I'm losing at a good rate so I'm happy with not logging. Now if my weight loss were to stall I might want to re-evaluate this decision. LOL. But for now so far so good. :)
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Logging for 5 years (2 on MFP). Maintaining for 2 years.

I monitor my other nutrients (not just calories), so I will probably log for the rest of my life.

Yep...I know that the stats are not perfect, but do consider them "in the ball park". That's better than flying blind.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Logging for me isn't a chore anymore. It's just part of my daily routine. And I'm okay with that.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 471 and counting. Haven't missed a day since I started. Works for me.
    How accurate I am depends on the food. I measure out "controlled substances" like peanuts and cheese. On the other hand, as I type this I'm snacking on cooked cabbage with nothing added, to which I've given an eyeball guess of 3 cups.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm at 470 days. It's like breathing at this point.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    635 days, just apart of my everyday routine. I'll keep going until I'm ready to stop.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Today is 706 for me. I actually don't "need" it anymore as I have a pretty good handle on how many calories are in the things I eat and I pretty much eat the same 20-30 things throughout the week. It's just part of my daily/weekly routine at this point and to be honest, it helps me plan out my meals for the week so I don't have to think about it come meal-time..
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It was fun as first, but 5 months later, I just about hate it,

I refuse to eat a lot only because I either do not know the name of the food im about to eat, or just cannot be bothered logging it, not because of my calorie limit.

This christmas showed how awful it's becoming so I just logged a Generic Christmas Dinner (1 Course), and I left it at 1000 calories comsumed.
  • GoldwingGrandma
    GoldwingGrandma Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im on 1465 days in a row..... as of today..... I have lost and gained back and lost it again...thats life for me...but i find that if i log on and try to get a little info for the day...receive a positive word or give one...its been a good day.....

1465 ...just part of my life...

good luck no matter what on the logging

Awesome!
  • lora1570
    Options
    That's Awesome!
  • lora1570
    Options
    Back to Atkins or This? Needless to say I've tried it all..lol
    I Started Atkins before Thanksgiving and was good for 21 days until the week before Christmas.

Told myself, I would start back on it Today. Didn't happen today because I was a member of myfitnesspal going back in the summer time. Didn't really keep track like I should have, didn't exercise as much as I said I would and feel I didn't really give it
    a good chance.
    The thought of eating just meat, eggs and cheese again does not trill me to say the least..lol

Looks like myfitnesspal changed a few things around since I was on last but I'll at least login tomorrow and reweigh myself and see it
    I get motivated!

Here's hoping
    Lora
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to lose weight and maintain with out having to measure every single splash of bbq sauce on my nugget.

You can.

What's preventing you from doing so?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been using this site for 1,065 days as of today. I've logged in every day since I joined. There have probably been a grand total of 3-4 weeks that I didn't log food at all. Two of those were the week of and the week after I had brain surgery. The rest were just random days when I was too busy. Commit to yourself. It works.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't really see logging as work. I see it as information. I can see how I am doing on my calories and my macros. I can determine whether I need to get more protein, more fiber, etc. I don't worry about every splash of bbq sauce; I am concerned about stuff that has substantial impact on my macros.

If you think it is work, and if you can lose weight without logging, then don't do it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    For the rest of my life if that's what it takes to keep control of calories in/calories out.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Well I have been going for almost 540 days. It gets easier with time, phone apps help.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 8 months and I imagine that I'll be logging for a long time more. With my appetite and history of eating, it would be too easy to rebound without logging. I think Mfp makes it fairly easy, and so it's not really a chore for me compared to other counting sites I've used.