Overly supportive family members...

Options
Does anyone have a family member that worries about you so much that they start to get on your nerves? I had one week where I lost only a quarter of a pound instead of my usual one to three. you would have thought that I had gained all of it back to hear my mom talk.
Any stories like this or advice on how to handle it?

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you, there is no reason you are forced to talk about it with that person. You are completely in control of this problem. Be direct and you won't have to keep discussing it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you, there is no reason you are forced to talk about it with that person. You are completely in control of this problem. Be direct and you won't have to keep discussing it.

Yeah, ^^This. You're a grown man. You don't have to talk about it.

• pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your weight is your personal business and you only have to share what you want to share. If it's difficult for you to have someone second guessing you like that you can keep the information to yourself.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    That's not very supportive. She at least needs to understand how often plateaus can creep up, because her head stuff about losing weight could affect yours!

My dad is funny with mine, but he just likes numbers, lol. He's taken to asking me my weigh-in status every day (I take a daily weight and use the average for a week). It's funny seeing him try to figure out why mine's slower than if he did the same things I've been doing :D He's never unsupportive about it, though. In fact, it's nice to have him see that everyone can't shift weight on a dime like he's able to if he wants to lose a few pounds. He's always thought it's super easy and quick to lose a size or two (for everyone!).
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a family member that worries about you so much that they start to get on your nerves? I had one week where I lost only a quarter of a pound instead of my usual one to three. you would have thought that I had gained all of it back to hear my mom talk.
    Any stories like this or advice on how to handle it?

Advice: Stop telling your mom what you weigh. If you're older than 12 and reasonably healthy, it is in no way her business. I'd probably say something like "it's slow but steady" or "I'm feeling really healthy, thanks," and then change the subject.
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i have the exact opposite problem i dont have any support at all from my family. no matter what i do it isnt good enough, i'm not trying hard enough, etc. i go to weigh in on mondays and mom is like why bother u arent trying to lose any weight dad is like quit doing such and such and u would lose but he doesnt realize the more he hollers quit the more i go for it
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    At 93kg, I lost all my encouragement, and was told to stop, when I mentioned I was 86kg I got comments like, that is getting ridicoulous now, and encouraged to eat more, then it's a annoying me, I meant c'mon im still classified as overweight, I no longer tell anyone about my weight loss anymore, no ones knowsi'm now 85kg, I'm gonna drop 10kg more and go to maintain mode, I just presume they jealous because I now weigh less than them, and they wonder why they cant lose weight, when they constantly eat junk food all day and never excercise, I've earn my weight, im entited to it.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well my mom is supportive, she tells me she doesnt know how I manage to resist a lot of junk food and says Im doing so well and at other times she isnt, for example the other day she told me to take it easy and just have some fast food with the rest of the family, usually it takes about 3 no replies in a row cause she keeps asking. Honestly, the rest of my family dont eat very healthily, nobody is overweight really but sometimes its hard. I ended up getting something with them yesterday and just managed to fit it into my calorie allowance, it was my 7th day of cutting down anyway so I thought I may as well have one free meal. Today they got it again from outside like they do at least 4 times a week but today I just said no means no.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Just because you've decided to change, doesn't mean they are going to change. Just do your thing, plan your meals. They can eat whatever they like, it shouldn't affect you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :huh: Easy peasy...just say 'Ma, you're killin' me.' :laugh: That's my way of telling my mom to back off :blushing:
    Works for me :laugh: