Sugar-but I'm not eating sugar!

Options
I'm so confused. I don't ever add sugar, dont eat many sweets but was shocked to see how much I had on Day 1 yesterday! The fruits I ate (blueberries, raisens, apple) + 1cup Almond milk gave me DOUBLE what I was suppose to have. Help! Do I just give up on those things?

Replies

• deblu
    deblu Posts: 44
    Options
    I have the same problem, I always go over my sugar. I can eat yogurt and it will go over but I'm still losing weight so I just ignore it. I wish someone had some some more insight on this.
  • lillychap
    Options
    Hi, I also find my sugar levels are way high and it only comes from the fruit I eat as my main meals are all good. I had 2 satsumas and an apple and was 36% over on my sugar !! Its a little confusing as really it is drummed into us that we should be eating our 5 a day (2 fruit and 3 veg apparently). Probably best just to keep an eye on it but dont give up on eating the fruit as it is far more beneficial :-)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugars unless you've been specifically told to by your doctor. It doesn't matter if it comes from fruits or chocolate (though I will admit, fruits are way more healthy for you. :) ), just don't worry about it. I started getting stressed about staying below my sugar and sodium goals, and eventually I came to the point where I would restrict my calories if I went over. My family and I became concerned that I was actually developing an eating disorder, and while I couldn't just give up MFP altogether, I did remove sugar and sodium from my food diary. Now, I don't track them, and I've lost weight perfectly fine. I go over on sugar and sodium all the time (I've even been known to triple my sugar intake!, but it doesn't matter. I still lose 2 pounds a week, just as I had been before. Yet, now, I'm not stressing. :)
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    those are natural sugars, i would ignore them. as a non sugar eater myself, I would take the sugar column out of my diary all together. save yourself the headache.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    At the top of the Message Board page there is a Search option. Do a search for Sugar and you will find several threads regarding the fact that everyone has the same issue you are having and that most of us are not tracking sugar. So don't stress over it. Just try to stay on track and you'll do just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • AlexTCasas
    Options
    This discussion periodically reappears in MFP. Not all sugars are created equal, sugar from fruits are fructose, which is good (low glycemic index). Sugars from processed foods (and most, not all cereals) are glucose. Both are counted the same by MFP but their effect is quite different. The sugar from processed foods is converted into fat to a large extent, while the one from fruits it is not. The bottom line is this, if you sugars come from fruits, it does not matter if you go over. If it comes from processed foods, it will be better to replace it with something else. Provide you are under calorie goal, you will still loose weight no matter what, but it is healthier to avoid bad sugars...
  • BCase
    BCase Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar column. Change it out for another one. There aren’t too many limitations on sugar if you’re not eating "refined sugar". Your 3 fruits are very good for you. Stick to the Almond milk, it has great benefits! Try to eat as "clean" as you can!!!

Don't even get me started on high fructose corn syrup!!! It's the devil in disguise!!!
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    Options
    those are natural sugars, i would ignore them. as a non sugar eater myself, I would take the sugar column out of my diary all together. save yourself the headache.

I AGREE!! :))) That is one of the major complaints I have about this site: the fact that they dont separate natural sugars from added sugars... those natural sugars are actually GOOD for you and shouldnt be counted :)
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    I agree with everyone..I too don't eat sugar and at first I wanted to track it just to see. But I know that its natural sugar and again better than a bag of candy.

Try Blue Diamond unsweetened Almond milk;-)
  • specialk1177
    specialk1177 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue but you just have to avoid refined sugars & somewhat ignore the natural sugars in things. Just eating a large apple gave me half of my sugar for the day so I just deduct the natural sugars from my total sugars when I'm looking at it. You do still need to monitor your sugar intake, Jackie Warner suggests eating nothing that has more than 10 g of sugars but I find that hard to do. I have a major sweet tooth & must have some form of dessert every night & a skinny cow ice cream sandwich has like 15 g of sugar but I'm not about to skip it because it's over 10g. I'm losing weight yet I'm always over my sugars by at least 20g every day.
  • kab61
    kab61 Posts: 4
    Options
    OMG - THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!! I just went on a 40 minute walk worrying about all of that and came back to all the wonderful comments. It makes so much sense. I think I'll just keep the sugar column on though and look at it as a good thing since they are the good sugars. Thanks again to all who helped me. I think I'm gonna love MFP!!!