How to change enough to eat animals again?

Options
Guys I think it would be healthy for me to eat other animals besides fish.

The thing is (I totally respect animal eating kindly understand this is me)
Though the original reason for pescatarian ism was not supporting the animal industry cruelty,
Now I have a very primal reaction of yuck irksome to body don't even want to touch smell to meat. The thought of touching coking raw stuff is the last thing think capable of.
It's slightly comparable to way am so celiac that even smell of glutenous touch makes me feel nauteous.

So......how do you think/do you think I might get over that intellectually emotionally bodily wise to try eating them for health(more readily available protein)?

Thank you sooooooo much!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you said there...but...you don't have to eat meat. How about eggs and dairy?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't eat meat and eat healthy diets and get plenty of protien.

If you don't like meat don't eat it. I eat meat but I refuse to eat veal, venison, lamb, rabbit, deer, and bison. Why? Just cause that's how I feel.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    ...and just to play Devil's Advocate, I've spent most of my life around the ocean. The fishing industry is shamefully wasteful - so eating fish is not exactly animal-friendly. For every fish you eat, many more died and were thrown back because "wrong type of fish." Don't even get me started on the decline of animals in the oceans.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Why is it that you feel like you need to eat meat? I do. I eat it like a champ. As others have said there is no reason you "have" to. Just get your protein from other sources.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sweet baby ray's bbq sauce. that should get you back on board the meatwagon
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    sweet baby ray's bbq sauce. that should get you back on board the meatwagon

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I just had some slathered on pulled pork.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You might try boneless chicken breasts that someone else has cooked (at first, at least). I like fish and shellfish much, much more than meat, and my favorite meat is a simple chicken breast. Well, duck breast really but that costs a ton around here :D

My brother was a strict vegetarian since his pre-teen years and isn't at all now in his 30s. He wanted meat as a protein source, too. It certainly packs a lot of protein! I'm trying to up mine, too (but I still don't like meat very often for some reason).
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    You might try boneless chicken breasts that someone else has cooked (at first, at least). I like fish and shellfish much, much more than meat, and my favorite meat is a simple chicken breast. Well, duck breast really but that costs a ton around here :D

My brother was a strict vegetarian since his pre-teen years and isn't at all now in his 30s. He wanted meat as a protein source, too. It certainly packs a lot of protein! I'm trying to up mine, too (but I still don't like meat very often for some reason).

How did he make the transition?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

How did he make the transition?

Apparently he started craving meat, lol. I don't know the exact details because he lives in a different city, but for a while he only ate chicken as far as meat goes, then beef. Now he even eats pork. He eats more meat than me now :D
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem when I stopped being a vegetarian and to be honest I never liked meat, even as a kid, that was why it was easy to become a vegetarian at age 13 until I was 28. So, now I still don't eat meat very much. I eat boneless, skinless chicken breast. My husband cooks meat. Or I get it when I am out or at a friend's home. I started by initially just eating meat when it was served to me by a friend (as in, I didn't refuse what was served to me, even if it was not vegetarian). Although, part of the reason I stayed vegetarian was so I had a reason to say "no thank you" to meat, since I did not like it. Now, I eat boneless skinless chicken breast or hamburgers or beef in a Chinese food type of dish. Or I eat dairy, eggs or vegetarian sources of protein. I dislike fish.
  • Crsfire
    Options
    Why is it that you feel like you need to eat meat? I do. I eat it like a champ. As others have said there is no reason you "have" to. Just get your protein from other sources.

Awsome!!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I had this same problem when I stopped being a vegetarian and to be honest I never liked meat, even as a kid, that was why it was easy to become a vegetarian at age 13 until I was 28. So, now I still don't eat meat very much. I eat boneless, skinless chicken breast. My husband cooks meat. Or I get it when I am out or at a friend's home. I started by initially just eating meat when it was served to me by a friend (as in, I didn't refuse what was served to me, even if it was not vegetarian). Although, part of the reason I stayed vegetarian was so I had a reason to say "no thank you" to meat, since I did not like it. Now, I eat boneless skinless chicken breast or hamburgers or beef in a Chinese food type of dish. Or I eat dairy, eggs or vegetarian sources of protein. I dislike fish.

That's very helpful. I've been vegetarian for about 9 years i think and I've been wanting to try to eat meat but feel like mentally I just can't...it's this mental barrier where I just think it's going to be gross so I can't do it. It has nothing to do with animal cruelty or the environment--it's purely this mental aversion I guess. At some point in my life I enjoyed chicken nuggets and chicken breast so maybe I could again but I really hate it when it's a whole chicken--maybe if I only bought breasts that were already clean/prepped I could eat them with bbq sauce or something. Hmmm. I'm trying to work up the courage.
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    Thanks for writing guys!

Well more info = I have celiac (no wheat gluten/glutenous grains) am allergic to soy eggs nuts/seeds and completely lactose intolerant. My blood test said I'm also allergic to whey. I'm able to eat greek yogurt cause it has they whey skimmed off and eat tons of the plain kind.
    I actually have a really really really hard time cooking touching raw fish too. I hate tuna fish. Its generally hard to cook where i live.
    So I eat tons of sushi/sashimi with tons of salads greens vegetable and tons of plain greek yogurt with berries or other flavor.
    Other stuff too of course!

I guess there's nothing really wrong with my choices just over the holidays my family didnt make any changes for me and I really wanted to be able to find food that I could eat to stay healthy. I have reactive hypoglycemia so protein is essential.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

That's very helpful. I've been vegetarian for about 9 years i think and I've been wanting to try to eat meat but feel like mentally I just can't...it's this mental barrier where I just think it's going to be gross so I can't do it. It has nothing to do with animal cruelty or the environment--it's purely this mental aversion I guess. At some point in my life I enjoyed chicken nuggets and chicken breast so maybe I could again but I really hate it when it's a whole chicken--maybe if I only bought breasts that were already clean/prepped I could eat them with bbq sauce or something. Hmmm. I'm trying to work up the courage.

Yeah, no bones, choose a consistency that works for you, and sauces/dishes that you find tasty! And it's easier if you aren't the one to cook it (handle it when raw). :flowerforyou:
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Weird Al said it best -
    Just Eat it, eat it, eat it.........
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was pescatarian for many years. She started out with milk and cheese then went to chicken (usually cooked by someone else and shredded then covered in BBQ sauce). She still can't do steak, but she can cook chicken for herself and eat it without disguising the flavor or texture. She also had issues with meat being inhumane, so she buys hers from local farms that care for the animals.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know were you are coming from.
    For me I wanted to be closer to the source of the meat. I wanted to at least have some respect for what I was doing.
    Granted I don't butcher my own animals, but I consume the caucus.

I had to do fast food to start with. Coming from being vegetarian, to pescatarian. I really have no clue how to cook meat. Now I just buy random things at the meat isle and toss it in the crock pot for 4 hours on high with little flavor packets they sell next to the gravy's.

What got me the most is how sore my jaw got from all the chewing.

I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but maybe it can help you sleep a little better at night.
  • SarahNerd
    Options
    Beware that there can be hidden gluten in some meats, used as an additive. Deli meats and canned meats are some of the problem meats. With having such a restrictive diet, it would be best to simply discuss it with your doctor. She/he can help you come up with a plan. Make sure to log everything you eat, so if you do have any reactions you can trace it back to the cause.

Vegetarian for 15 years, vegan for 6, gluten and oat free for 5 years - all due to bad food intolerances. I know how hellish it can be, so do take care with it. Good luck.