When to exercise?? does it make a difference?

Options
When do you usually do your exercising? Does it matter if its before or after you eat? I tend to exercise first thing in the morning {before breakfast} But I'm wondering if this is a bad choice??
I recently hit a platue {sp?} & started looking at everything I was doing - this got me thinking maybe I was exercising at a bad time?

any input would be appreciated!
thanks!!!!

Replies

• StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've tried all different times and ways....
    I'm not sure if it matters either.....
    so "bumping" this to see what everyone else says............... :bigsmile:
  • juberry
    juberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, my favorite thing to do is eat a small breakfast (120 cal) including coffee, then go to the gym and work out. It makes a great start to my day. I then eat a decent-sized snack when I get to work. Later on in the day I'll walk my dog and/or do some Pilates or abs at home. However, on occasion I'll go to the gym after work and that's fine, too. It's whatever works best for your schedule.

Also I've read quite a few times that if you hit a plateau you might try increasing the intensity of your cardio workouts, or do interval training to boost the calorie burn. Or try changing your workout, or go to a class like Zumba or cardio kickboxing or spin. Good luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of theories and I don't know if one is better than the other but my theory is "whatever works with my schedule" They say eating within 15 minutes of waking jump starts your metabolism, I am trying that now but haven't seen any difference yet. Are you switching up your routine, lots of times your body just needs a shock, something different. That even goes for the foods you're eating.
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You should definitely eat *something* before you work out. Like @juberry said, amybe around 100-150 calories. Just to kick your metabolism in gear and tell it you're not starving.
  • determined99
    Options
    ive heard it doesn't matter when you exercise this is a matter of preference. Personally if i don't exercise in the morning i will not exercise that day. I'm not motivated to work out at any other time of the day. However i also heard that in the morning if you exercise you tend to loose weight faster because you are doing it on an empty stomach
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a banana before I workout, nothing too heavy, or you will have to wait 1hr to workout......
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Agreed.... whatever works with your schedule and your body is the best thing for you! If I have a little time before exercise when I wake up, then I will usually eat a yogurt or 1/2 a banana. Then I eat a good breakfast when I get home. I can't put a lot of food in my stomach when I exercise because it makes me feel heavy, sluggish and sometimes I cramp up. I think if you feel you have enough energy in the morning without eating, that is fine for you.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    When you exercise doesn't matter at all. You can exercise on an empty stomach - it all depends on the intensity of the workout. When I used to go to the gym, I would eat a medium banana beforehand. This morning I ran 3 miles very early and didn't eat a thing beforehand.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I exercise whenever I can/whenever I want to. Normally that's at around 9:00pm. :) But, I've exercised at almost any time of the day: very, very early in the morning, in the late morning, around noon, early afternoon, late afternoon, dinner time, and midnight. I don't think it matters really, as long as you get that exercise in!
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    Yeah, it really doesn't matter too much what time you're exercising. If you're talking about aerobic exercise, you might hear that the best time would be right when you wake up. The idea, I guess, is to force your body to burn stored fat instead of carbs, since you'll be running on an empty stomach. Realistically, the most important thing is that you're actually exercising, I wouldn't worry too much about what time it is! Good luck!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I prefer to do my intense workouts in the afternoon (I'm also a stay at home mom).

I have more energy in the afternoon and burn more cals.

Before I would wake up early and do a nice morning working to start my day and than my intense workout in the afternoon but I've been I've been so busy lately and the cold weather doesn't help in the mornings that I tend to do just one workout a day.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The only way to exercise incorrectly is by not exercising at all. If you're moved to exercise in the morning, work out in the moning.

Charmagne
  • Ford4x4lady
    Options
    thank you so much for the information & inspiration! I'm gonna keep going the way I am.
    You gals & guys are awesome! Thank you!
  • determined99
    Options
    i think another good reason to exercise in the morning is that you are more likely to eat healthier food the whole day....it's a mind set!