5 Day Conference - What to eat?

Options
Hi guys!

So, I'm going to a conference for 5 days. I won't have a fridge or any way to cook food (no microwave, toaster etc.).

The hotel we are at has Subway, Chinese and another salad/sandwich place (among many other unhealthy options like Taco Bell), but it would obviously be better for me to not eat out! What ideas do you have for foods I could bring that don't need cooked? Any tips for being successful around all the temptation to eat unhealthy?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    That's tricky. Fruit, nuts, protien powders, protien bars, healthy cereal (dry or long life milk). Is there a supermarket nearby where you could get some meals? Other than that stick mostly to the salad/sandwich places (no creamy dressings, samll portions of cheese, bacon etc.).

Any Asian places where you could get a stirfry with protien and veggies?
  • stoj8
    stoj8 Posts: 5
    Options
    One method I use is to simplify the macronutrients you require; protein carbohydrate and fat.
    Protein: you can take protein powder, canned tuna, canned salmon,..
    Carbohydrate: you can take a bag of rolled oats, rice cakes, fruits,.. vegies
    Fat: fish oil caps..

None of the above foods require refrigeration or cooking!

You can even program in the 5 days in advance into MFP, to ensure you have enough variety,
  • Hossam52
    Options
    Don't tell me your going to One Thing lol coz im having the same problem here , i know that im gonna be eating yogurt for breakfast and maybe salads from walmart would be fine ,or that's what im going to try anyway
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    One method I use is to simplify the macronutrients you require; protein carbohydrate and fat.
    Protein: you can take protein powder, canned tuna, canned salmon,..
    Carbohydrate: you can take a bag of rolled oats, rice cakes, fruits,.. vegies
    Fat: fish oil caps..

None of the above foods require refrigeration or cooking!

You can even program in the 5 days in advance into MFP, to ensure you have enough variety,
    I think you'd struggle to get your daily requirement of fat from fish oil supplements!

OP - I'd probably keep it as simple as possible and eat somewhere where I can get reasonable choices and where they have published nutritional info. Subway would fit that bill for me. For 5 days, I wouldn't try to overthink the macro situation - just focus on calories, and try to get plenty of protein. If you're a snacker (and that will help you over indulging elsewhere) then take some snacks like nuts, sunflower seeds, maybe some protein bars or protein powder that you can make up in your room.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you will have no option but to eat out most of the time. It sounds like there are sensible options buried amongst the rubbish so I would just try to make the best of a bad hand whilst you are there. This type of situation is bound to come up time and time again, so there is no point in stressing over it. Use it as a learning experience - whatever happens it is not as if you are going to gain 5lbs in 5 days.
  • dgm82
    dgm82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell can actually be SUPER healthy!

I live off of Fresco Crunchy Tacos (150 calories), Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos (140 calories), and Black Bean Burritos (390 calories).

You just have to watch the sodium.

I think the key is just looking up the nutrition facts on something before you order it.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a 4-day conference. Packed a small cooler and very small electric frying pan. (A tip my flight attendant cousin gave me.)
    There was a breakfast buffet offered but they had wonderful choices: made to order omelets, oatmeal, lovely fresh fruit. I had a sandwich every day for lunch (45 calorie per slice of bread), turkey lunchmeat and a piece of fruit. My room did have a small frig - I packed lean cuisine meals for dinner.

Hope this helps?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Everything?
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd invest in a cheap cooler and just load it up with ice and pre-made salads, yogurt, milk for cereal - get granola bars and protein shakes etc...

Subway makes salads, too.
  • ccolgrov
    Options
    Oh gosh, I didn't even think of those options at Taco Bell!

Thanks everyone for your help! I think the key will just be double checking before I eat anything out and packing a lot of side options so I don't end up eating chips or cookies.
  • rachelkiacomini617
    Options
    Oh gosh, I didn't even think of those options at Taco Bell!

Thanks everyone for your help! I think the key will just be double checking before I eat anything out and packing a lot of side options so I don't end up eating chips or cookies.
    [/quote

Friendly reminder, just because we can count the calories of a food item does not mean it is SUPER healthy as the user mentioned. Taco Bell has insane amounts of sodium, and their ingredients are not fresh for the most part, and are heavily processes. It passes as ok at best. Be careful not to be trapped just because something is relatively low calorie.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you actually have a lot of good options. You can eat all of those things (even the Taco Bell) and meet your calorie and nutrient goals.