meds and weight gain

Options
Hey all!
Anyone have any experience with meds and weight gain?
I am on a lot of meds and can't figure out which one did the worst ..
but cannot come off, have to slowly wean and like I'm doing awesome
do I want to take the chance of playing with meds just cuz I feel fat.
argh. How frustrating,
any words of advice?

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i'm on medication that causes weight gain although i am on it in an ed clinic treatment so it is sposed to make me gain (olanzapine).
    i am not liking it at all.
    maybe do extra exercise or something to make up for the gain? a lot of times the pharmecutical companies of the drugs will offer free nutritional advice and services to help counteract the weight gain
  • elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble losing weight also. I was started on Seroquel XR and was doing fine with my weight until he upped the dose to 800mg. Now I am stuck at about 149lbs. I exercise 6 days a week which includes 20-30 of P90X and 1-1.5 hours at the gym. I've been doing this for two or three weeks but my weight doesn't budge. The only change that I have noticed is my thighs look a little more toned. I'm calling my dr on Monday. Sorry this is so long.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    Anyone have any experience with meds and weight gain?
    I am on a lot of meds and can't figure out which one did the worst ..
    but cannot come off, have to slowly wean and like I'm doing awesome
    do I want to take the chance of playing with meds just cuz I feel fat.
    argh. How frustrating,
    any words of advice?

Actually many of those meds only cause ( as shown in clinical tests compared to a group taking placebos ) a 0.43 - 4.1 pound weight increase. However most of those meds we typically blame for weight gain also increase appetite and eating more because we feel like eating more is actually what makes us gain weight.
    I am on several meds ( for Lupus, RA and because I have no thyroid ) and I gained 40 kilos over an 8 year period, because I chose to eat according to my appetite and not according to the calories I needed for my size, age and activity.
    I am still taking the same meds, but by restricting calories and eating at a healthy deficit I have lost 45 pounds since April this year.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Do not stop taking your meds. Talk to your doctor(s) about adjusting doses and/or trying different combinations.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    AD made me gain like crazy... like 20 kg in 3 months that was NOT due to increased food consumption. Increased exercise and decreased calories had no effect at all on my weight. I have since stopped them though. I've also started a new birth control that has made my weight go up a little. Otherwise I haven't had a problem.

Just be sure not to go off your meds without consulting your doctor ! Just had to put it in there :smile:
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Tara- what meds are you on? I'm assuming it's SSRIs (antidepressants) as they are notorious for weight gain.

I am a prime example of this. I was TINY my entire life… couldn't gain a single pound no matter how much food I ate. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic disorder 3 years ago and had no choice but to start medication for it. I was a skinny but healthy 97 lbs when I started the meds. 3 years later and I have gained 103.5 lbs from all of the medications I've tried.

I've been on:
    Zoloft
    Prozac
    Lexapro (WORKED THE BEST BUT CAUSED THE MOST WEIGHT GAIN)
    Celexa
    Cymbalta
    Ativan
    Propranonol
    Effexor
    Pristiq

I am now 200.5 lbs and considered obese for my height. Because of the rapid weight gain, I developed insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia. I am now on medication to stabilize my blood sugar. Insulin resistance makes it very difficult to lose weight… nearly impossible. I haven't been able to lose any weight so far, but then again I am eating way more than I should be and I'm not exercising consistently because of other medical issues.

Honestly, get off the meds if you can. Look into alternative medicine. I have been weaning off Lexapro, Pristiq, and Propranonol for the past 4 months and am still not off them completely. I went from taking 100 mg of Pristiq to 12.5 mg today. I started taking 40 mg of Lexapro and take 10 mg today. And I started taking 50 mg of Propranonol and only take 10 mg today. I can't do the things I want to do because I am not on a therapeutic dosage anymore but I simply couldn't keep gaining weight. Mental health is important but so is my overall health and at this rate if I continued taking the meds I would continue to gain weight and probably die by the time I was 50 from a heart attack or stroke or diabetes, etc. These meds ruined my life, body, self-confidence.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Actually many of those meds only cause ( as shown in clinical tests compared to a group taking placebos ) a 0.43 - 4.1 pound weight increase. However most of those meds we typically blame for weight gain also increase appetite and eating more because we feel like eating more is actually what makes us gain weight.
    I am on several meds ( for Lupus, RA and because I have no thyroid ) and I gained 40 kilos over an 8 year period, because I chose to eat according to my appetite and not according to the calories I needed for my size, age and activity.
    I am still taking the same meds, but by restricting calories and eating at a healthy deficit I have lost 45 pounds since April this year.

Yup. Yup yup yup. I would also add that some meds cause fluid retention. Keeping sodium low can help with that.
  • TaraRichardson913
    TaraRichardson913 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    I am on :
    cymbalta
    clozapine
    ritalin
    abilify
    prozac
    clonazepam
    and birth control..yaz

whew. Seems like a lot I know...I was quite ill.
    I was anorexic starting those meds recovered fine but have gone from 90to182lbs...my high weight,
    now considered obese.

I dont mind the number as much as the body image woes.its so hard.
    I got christmas gifts today that are too tight...BLAH
  • CrissyGoff
    Options
    Hi, I am also on cymbalta. I have gained probably like 60 lbs. Sucks! I keep trying to lose but it is just a very slow process. I was on abilify too and made my weight jump up like crazy. I went off of that and dropped probably 10 lbs rather quickly. But I am still working to get back down to my 155lb goal. I am currently 213lbs, 5'9. I do feel you pain, really.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    I am on :
    cymbalta
    clozapine
    ritalin
    abilify
    prozac
    clonazepam
    and birth control..yaz

whew. Seems like a lot I know...I was quite ill.
    I was anorexic starting those meds recovered fine but have gone from 90to182lbs...my high weight,
    now considered obese.

I dont mind the number as much as the body image woes.its so hard.
    I got christmas gifts today that are too tight...BLAH

I'm really shocked your doctor has you taking all of those meds. The drug interactions between them can be quite dangerous. I suggest getting off of at least 3 or 4 of them. Talk to your doctor about this. Also, ask your doctor about Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin does not cause weight gain and I know many people who have had a lot of success with it.

Also look into changing your birth control. Yaz does cause weight gain. I suggest Junel (Loestrin). It is a birth control with the lowest amount of estrogen, therefore, it causes the least amount of side effects. I've been on it for over 4 years and love it.
  • TaraRichardson913
    TaraRichardson913 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My dr is actually very good...just didn't seem to get what to take me onand off.
    I wanted to take Wellbutrin but I have a history of seizures, boo.
    He even tried me on topamax to stop binge eating but it didn't work.
    I'm hopingto get off meds this year..
    in the meantime do I throw out all mycute clothes I MIGHT fit in?!
  • CrazyWhiskers
    CrazyWhiskers Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No no, you will fit in them.

I belive you can have your cake and eat it too (or in this case have your meds and lose weight too). You just have to do some tweaking. Monitor your foods or portions or cut calories, up exercise etc. Whatever, thats what I am doing in the new year. I take seroquel and epival so trust me, I know what you mean :)

you can do it!
  • laxheart16
    laxheart16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was on prednisone and gained weight (fat and fluid retention) within the first 5 days. It was so annoying! Why does there have to be side effects like that? Ugh.

Have you talked to your doctor about weaning off of the meds? Or at least for solutions to help boost your weight loss?