My scale says 189 today -- Lost 151 lbs!

Options
Basically I had a bad relationship with food all of my life. My mother, who was fat as a child, was very conscious of everything I ate. Sugary treats were only allowed in the house on binge and purge days. (Because of this, I'm not a big cookie, candy, cake or anything sweet eater) I would get criticized after coming home 'fat' from my grandmothers house where food was freely given. Sneaking food whenever I could became the goal since meals were so closely monitored. As an adult, with the newfound freedom and no restrictions, I ate. And then ate some more. There was a whole wide world of different tastes and foods yet to be eaten. And I was going to eat anything I wanted so I did.

Fast forward to my late 20's where I was at 320lbs. I was just newly diagnosed as a diabetic, had an angioplasty and was generally miserable. In the hospital, the admitting doctor kept telling me there was nothing wrong with me, I was just too fat until the cardiologist actually found the problem under all that fat. After the angioplasty, I took the weight loss drugs, Meridia and Xenical, stepped up the exercise and got down to about 200lbs where I stalled but after being over 300 lbs, I was fine with the 200 mark. Because you know, I was 'big boned'... sigh....

Then of course life changed again and I found myself in Memphis TN (I am originally from NY). Guess what, a whole new world of food. And all of it unhealthy (biscuits & gravy, real mac & cheese, fried everything) so of course, I had to try it all. And I did. Enough for 2 or 3 people. Over the next 10 years I gained weight up back to almost the 300 mark. I had to have yet another stent put in to keep my blocked arteries open.

Then life changed again, I got divorced and moved to Phoenix AZ. I work from home now, so I was barely leaving the house at all. It's just so easy to sit in front of the computer and eat. So easy that you can do it with out thinking. Which I did. And got yet another 2 stents put in to keep those blocked arteries open and was taking impossibly high amounts of insulin and Metformin to control the diabetes. And the heart pills, and the cholesterol pills and the blood pressure medications.

Last October, I took a trip to NY to visit friends, and came back horrified and ready to make a change. What happened? I couldn't even walk down the block without back pain. I was so out of shape that a 5 minute walk left me grasping for breath and bent over with pain. I couldn't even walk back to the car, they had to pick me up. Everyone was great and understanding and it all just made me feel that much worse.

So I came back home and joined a gym. Meh. I have learned I am not a gym person. But I did meet the most excellent trainer who I still work with twice a week. I hooked up with a weight loss doctor who's focus is on losing weight naturally, by changing your diet - no drugs.

So here it is a year later and my scale says 189 this morning (which puts me over 150 lbs lost) , I am less than 20lbs away from hitting my goal of 170. My cardiologist is finally giving me glowing reports, I am off all drugs for the diabetes, and my blood pressure meds have been cut in half. I feel great. My friends all comment on how much happier I seem now and if I had to think about it, I really am happier. People make jokes about how I lost them in weight which is kind of funny.

I make it a goal to walk at least a mile most days and I weigh all my food and track everything here. Basically, if I need to go anywhere within a mile radius of my house, I walk there - Walgreens, Walmart, Doctor appts (Luckily I live near a lot of things). I don't beat myself up about eating anything. I learned a lot about myself and my issues with food. I love anything with carbs :) I am trying different and healthier foods to try to replace some of my previously carb laden meals and it's working - Cauliflower is the greatest vegetable ever and I just made a spaghetti squash for the first time.

I am in the best shape of my adult life and truly loving it. I do have some extra skin that I will think about removing after I have the first year of maintenance under my belt but it goes with the territory. In clothes, no one knows it is there... And I would rather have the skin instead of the extra fat that used to be in that skin

But in conclusion, was this easy? No - not at all. I can't tell you about all of the food fantasies I had during this past year and all the times, I really wanted to go F it and drive to Walgreens to get a can of Pringles. And how many times I wanted to call the trainer to tell her I wasn't coming. But I finally realized that I was ready to do this. It has been an eye opener along the way and I learned a lot about myself and my issues with food.

This wasn't a diet, but a life changing work of art... and I am the final masterpiece and I am loving it!

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Totally Wicked Awesome!
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you! I see so many similarities and can honestly say I know exactly that amazing feeling you are going through. It does require a lifestyle change to lose the weight and keep it off. And oh what a wonderful change it makes to your life!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Well done! A great accomplishment!
  • Denise0621
    Denise0621 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good Job such a inspiration!!
  • David1406
    Options
    Wonderfully inspirational. Many congratulations. Look forward to reading your post which announces the removal of the final 20lbs.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot to overcome:smile:

Congratulations on your excellent success:flowerforyou:
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a healthier you!!
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing story! I am so proud of you, CONGRATS! You are truly proof that it CAN BE DONE with diet, exercise and determination. Losing 151 pounds in 1 year is no easy task but you are proof that it can be done. Congrats again and best wishes and continued success to you. :-)
  • Rebecca1552
    Options
    You have an amazing story and you look great! Congrats on your success!! :smile:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Whoa....your story is amazing. Truly. I think I'm going to keep this thread so I can refer back to it regularly. Thank you for sharing your story, you've given yourself the best gift possible. Keep it up!
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Amazing loss! And it sounds like you're much happier now, too, which is the most important thing. Good for you. :)
  • Oh_Em_Jayyy
    Oh_Em_Jayyy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Amazing loss! Congrats on your success!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is impressive and inspiring.

Our stories are eerily similar. My dad took me to the circus when I was five years old and the only thing I remember about it was my mom yelling at me for 20 minutes afterwards because I had gained weight.

I'm glad to see that you have overcome similar circumstances.

I also lived in Memphis briefly and currently live in the Phoenix area, but I started on the opposite coast.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's FABULOUS!
  • mrussell60
    Options
    Really cool story ............... congrats!
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fantastic accomplishment - your story is so inspiring and just what I needed to read today. Thanks so much for sharing and keep up the good work. Your goal is right around the corner!!!!
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm currently stuck around 189 and after reading your story of perseverance, that may be the kick in the tail to keep moving to our mutual goal. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! You are amazing and you WILL get there!
  • vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kimberly114
    Options
    WOW what an inspiration you are I understand about the meds I'm on some of the same, and I understand about just wanting to say F and go to Walgreens or Ultra and I have to talk myself out of it. But you made it and knowing that gives me and I'm sure many others hope that our dreams of being healthier and fit is possible thank you very much for your success story keep up the wonderful work.:smile::smile: :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!