Only one person commented on my weight loss...

2»

Replies

• eandrus
    eandrus Posts: 45 Member
    Same thing happened to my 19 yo daughter -- out of thirty or so relatives she hadn't seen in a year, only her grandmother told her how great she looked. She has lost about 75 pounds in a year while away at college and is now down to a size six (at 5'6") and gorgeous. I am sixty years old and don't take it too hard when people don't acknowledgement my achievements, but she is still so young...and having been significantly overweight all of her life (and teased by these same relatives mercilessly for it), it struck me as particularly cruel. BTW, I never say, "Wow, you sure have lost a LOT OF WEIGHT," or words to that effect, but I do say sincerely and in private to the person something like, "By the way, you look great (or beautiful)," or "that outfit/dress/suit really looks good on you." In other words, get your message across without any mention of poundage.
  • xreinvention
    xreinvention Posts: 82 Member
    Congrats! 72 is an AMAZING loss. It sucks when people don't say anything and you expected them to. But there's no way they didn't notice!
    Before I had my daughter (I had lost almost 70lbs) I came back to my home town and it seemed like every (male) person that wanted to comment said the exact same thing. "Wow, you're hot now!" Which makes you feel almost as bad as no one saying anything. Sometimes people just don't know how to say it without sounding offensive, so don't take it to heart too much!
  • Congrats! 72 is an AMAZING loss. It sucks when people don't say anything and you expected them to. But there's no way they didn't notice!
    Before I had my daughter (I had lost almost 70lbs) I came back to my home town and it seemed like every (male) person that wanted to comment said the exact same thing. "Wow, you're hot now!" Which makes you feel almost as bad as no one saying anything. Sometimes people just don't know how to say it without sounding offensive, so don't take it to heart too much!

Yeah, that is almost worse. The first time I lost weight, a boy in one of my classes felt it necessary to tell me that I was "meh" before and "hot" after.
  • blakeevan04
    blakeevan04 Posts: 40 Member
    That is disappointing especially since you lost quite a bit of weight in one year. I have been there, 9 years ago after my first child was born, I lost 50 lbs in just over a year and got back down to my high school weight and my sister and best friend never acknowledged it!! I was a little hurt but felt great nonetheless.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    What you have done is awesome! Don't let other peoples lack of comments get you down. Sometimes people don't know what to say. Congrats on all your hard work!
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    What you have done is awesome! Don't let other peoples lack of comments get you down. Sometimes people don't know what to say. Congrats on all your hard work!

^^^^ This. There's a person I work with occasionally that I hadn't seen in many months that had dropped a LOT of weight. I held myself in check from commenting on it because of what other people have said here: I was afraid he might be sick. I simply could not come up with the right words. "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight, you're not sick are you?" just didn't seem to cut it :smile:

BIG congratulations and pat on the back for your weight loss!! :flowerforyou:
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Someone noticed my weight loss and was afraid to comment becouse the last person he commented on their weight loss, cancer and chemo was the cause of the weight loss. Then it was you are not sick are you?

Doesn't cancer and chemo weight loss look less "healthy" than systematic, intentional weight loss? I feel like it is easy to tell when someone has cancer. They look sickly thin, not healthy fit.