How did you pick your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint5
    Options
    I've been over 200 lb since I was 15 or so (and I am 37 now), and once reached 307 lb... so until pretty recently I never even CONSIDERED the idea that my goal could be under 200.

For years I felt pretty good at 260-270 so that was my first goal when I was around 300.
    When I joined MFP at 262 I thought 220 seemed like a good goal because previously I'd only been down to 227 as an adult.

Then once I got to 220, 199 seemed doable and now that I am 204 I feel like 180 is a doable realistic goal.

I have no idea if I will readjust again and go smaller than 180. I can't even imagine being 160-something but I would not be too surprised if I wound up in the 170s eventually. I am 5'8".
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    High end of healthy BMI range for my height. Don't remember ever being NORMAL on the chart. Seemed like a good starting point. Once I feel good, I won't care what the chart says. That's the plan.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing collection of vintage lingerie, cocktail dresses and evening gowns, seriously...a whole closet full. Some were my mom's and/or grandmother's...some I've picked up at estate sales, some have been gifted to me. I also have bins of outdoor activity clothes, camping/hiking, skiing, etc. When I can fit into all my really COOL clothes again, I'll be done!

Intensely jealous of your closet ;)
    I actually have one of the LBDs (@ 1950's) hanging above my scale for daily motivation. Right now I am still jealous of my closet! Onward and Downward!!!! :drinker:
  • ScorpDX
    Options
    I picked the weight I was the most happiest with myself. It's a realistic goal in my eyes. I've been there before. I could certainly go lower and be even better off. But I want to get to my goal first.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You don't have to pick a goal weight and stick to it. My original goal weight was 140, and I was still unhappy at that size so my new goal is 125. Once I get there I may or may not change it again.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that I hadn't been at in about 20 years when a time I was pretty healthy. I'm currently on the fence about taking it down another 25lbs but that's how I picked it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Get your lean body weight number.

Now divide that number by 1 minus the body fat percentage you'd like to be. That's a good goal weight.

IE. Say you want to be 20% body fat above your lean body mass

Lean body mass- 100lbs
    100/ (1 minus 20% or .20) = 125lbs.

125lbs would leave this person with 20% body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    1. Looked up height and weight data of 10 of the worlds top long distance runners
    2. Calculated the BMI of each
    3. Calculated the average (mean) BMI for all ten
    4. Calculated my weight at the BMI from step 3 (my goal)

+1

This was very close to what I did when I reached an interim goal of 150 lbs (I am now 142). These men, a few of whom are about my height of 5'7", all have BMI's in the 19-20 range. Since I am way older than any of them --Meb Keflezighi is only 38-- working with the Sports Clinic here at Vanderbilt, I selected a BMI about 5% above their which gave me an ultimate goal weight (UGW) of 135.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've never been a weight/size I was happy with, so I've just had to go with BMI. I'm aiming for the top of the healthy range as a starting point. I've got a strong/broad build, so I expect I won't need to go too much further than that, but I'll reassess when I get there.
  • AprilJG79
    AprilJG79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    At first my goal was to feel better. My knees and back was hurting me because of all the extra weight I was carrying around.
    So I reached my first goal which was to lose 50lbs. My back is stronger but my knees still bother me. That took me 6 months to do and I have a new goal in mind. I want to fit back into the dress I got married in which is a 10 and I'm wearing a 18-16 now.
    My mini goal is to lose 30 more pounds by Mid February. I do have an ultimate goal in mind but I plan mini or short term goals so I don't get discouraged.
    Do what you feel good at AND healthy. Remember though after your reach your goal, don't stop. Keep going for conditioning. So many people get to where they want to be only to gain everything back because they stop. Think of it as a life style not a diet.
  • aprilduncan942
    aprilduncan942 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been at 160 before. I felt good, my self esteem was through the roof and I know its where I want to be again.
  • DeathListFive
    DeathListFive Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had completely different goals. First was to weigh less than my husband. Second was to get under 200lbs into "onderland." From there, I didn't really have much of a goal in mind because I never though I'd get back under 200lbs to begin with. Since then, it's been a matter of "What the hay, let's see what happens."
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I looked at the low number and the high number of my healthy weight range and chose the number in the middle. That's my goal weight.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just went with the ""magical"" 100 pounds loss number, which gives me 132.
    Maybe too low for me, I'll see when I get close, but for now I like this number.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I always felt great about my body when I was at my goal weight. It's flexible though, a little lower or higher I don't care as long as I feel good!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    220 lbs sounded cool with my height of 6'-2". Honestly, I never expected to hit my goal when I started. After I hit my goal, I realized I probably needed ideally weigh less (205 lbs roughly). It always amused me that I had no real idea what it would be like at my goal weight when I picked it. :)
  • jjeennnn
    jjeennnn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I start out with 5 lbs under what I weigh now so I never feel unaccomplished! Then adjust every time! It's easier to meet a goal if it's not so far away and you never want to set yourself up for something that isn't within reach fairly quickly as you may get easily discouraged :/
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight from experience. I was in the low 140's before and looked and felt good. I know I don't want to be any lower...I feel comfortable and look good now at 150. But I do have some "soft" spots that I want to tone and know I need a little more weight off to get rid of it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My first weigh in at WW about 4 years ago showed I was at 258 and according to their ranges, 158 was the high end of the healthy range for my height. While the thought of losing 100 pounds was a little daunting, I figured 158 was a good healthy goal to aim for.

Just a week or two ago I decided that 150 was a better goal to shoot for. It may not be a weight I can stick with but I'd like to see if I can get that low and that way I can bounce up a few pounds and feel ok about it...better than bouncing up a few pounds from 158, if you see what I mean.

IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to change your goal as many times as you like. Do what works for you, there is no right or wrong (well unless you give up, don't do that). :flowerforyou:
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is about 150, which is what I weighed when I started high school. Someone my height is "supposed to" weigh less according to the BMI scale (I think 134 is the top end of "healthy" for my height) and I've spent the last six years weighing between 175 and 210. At my lowest weight of 173 (which only lasted a couple of days), I was pretty happy, but still wanted to lose more. Unfortunately, I've gone back up to about 200-205 pounds, and I think 50 pounds is a good amount to lose from where I am.

Once I get there, I'd like to focus more on toning for a while. I'd rather be "thick" and toned than thin. I've spent my entire adult life being bigger, which kind of makes me feel safe; I can't run from danger, but I have my weight to back me up in a fight. If I can be 150 without being too flabby, then I'll stop there. If I feel like I'm not where I want to be, then I'll try to lose a little more.