New to Juicing

Options

Replies

• SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You're going to do what you want, but if you do it, you'll be sorely disappointed. Seriously, just eat the food. Return the juicer.

I am not discouraging you, but a good juicer is really expensive. Is it really worth it?
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My favorite juicing recipes have lots of fruit and veggies. Kale is not the best idea for beginners because of the strong bitter taste. If you want to start out and enjoy your juice I recommend going with things that you already like and slowly adding veggies that aren't too strong tasting, such as:

cucumber
    spinach
    celery
    bok choy
    chard

If you're looking to go advanced right away and use things like Kale I would recommend cutting the bitter taste with lemon or lime.

Enjoy! Juicing is fantastic. A caution, if you're having absorption issues there is a health problem there and juicing may cause some form of GI yukness. Nausea, diarrhea, etc. That's your body dealing with whatever is causing the absorption issues, and learning to deal with high-nutrient foods.

ETA for stupid spelling
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have decided that I am going to do a natural juice cleanse. I have vitamin deficiencies because I do not eat enough nutrient rich foods and I also have some absorption issues.

So you're going to combat this issue by eating less nutrient rich foods? Alrighty then.

^This.

Also pineapple and strawberries are not "the worst".
    Seriously?
    We're now calling certain fruits good vs bad?

What are you talking about? Juicing your fruits and veggies and drinking them is the ultimate way to absorb nutrients. You get more nutrients by juicing than eating them whole and you get more of the benefits from their enzymes which you denature when you cook them.

Have you ever seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead?

I did.
    I was making cupcakes during it.

The OP stated that "my favorite fruits are the worst - pineapple and strawberries"
    That's what I was reacting to - the fact that people are now demonizing FRUIT
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Strawberry and watermelon go well together (taste and volume). If kale isn't to your liking yet, you can mix it with cucumber and green apple. Start with less kale, then gradually add more. The taste becomes less noticeably bitter with time. Carrot, beet, apple, and ginger also pair well.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have decided that I am going to do a natural juice cleanse. I have vitamin deficiencies because I do not eat enough nutrient rich foods and I also have some absorption issues.

So you're going to combat this issue by eating less nutrient rich foods? Alrighty then.

^This.

Also pineapple and strawberries are not "the worst".
    Seriously?
    We're now calling certain fruits good vs bad?

What are you talking about? Juicing your fruits and veggies and drinking them is the ultimate way to absorb nutrients. You get more nutrients by juicing than eating them whole and you get more of the benefits from their enzymes which you denature when you cook them.

Have you ever seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead?

Yes, I did see that sales pitch for a juicer.

Where is your protein and fat content coming from?

^This

OP, how long do you plan to juice, do you plan to exclusively juice, and will you be incorporating those all important fats and proteins into your diet somehow?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying that your body is the ultimate juicer. It does it's job just fine if you eat the right foods. I do not suggest a juice cleanse, fast or whatever you want to call it. I do however own a juicer and I use it regularly. I incorporate fresh fruit and vegetable juice every day for breakfast because for some reason I am not hungry until atleast noon on a daily basis. That all being said, I have noticed that if you plan to add Kale to any juice recipe also incorporate half of a lemon, it helps offset the icky taste of the Kale. Good luck to you.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You're going to do what you want, but if you do it, you'll be sorely disappointed. Seriously, just eat the food. Return the juicer.

The secret society of the Juicer is here.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/328-juice-fasting-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

OK, it's not so secret, and it's not a society... It's the juicing group at MFP.

My experience with juicing is, don't try to juice vegetables that you don't like the taste of, they taste the same as juice. Kale sucks @$$.... don't even bother.... and don't mix delicious, tasty fruit juices with vegetables... that just wrecks everything. Make fruit juices that you like, and experiment with vegetables that are least repulsive to you, to see if you can find something that is palatable. I found that red peppers, tomatoes, celery and carrots tasted pretty good to me. Oh, and kale sucks @$$.......

kale_sucks_tshirt-r94a93d21c5de4d72bbd4961b056d6383_804g9_512.jpg
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My husband is the worst, and won't drink any juice that "tastes like dirt" - which is beets, kale, spinach etc. So I put an apple in every juice I do for him. it covers up a lot, and the natural sugar is enough to sweeten just about anything. pink lady, honeycrisp and granny smith seem to add the most "punch" of sweetness. Fresh ginger, with the apple, adds a spicy flavor that is a good cover up for the nasty green stuff! Good luck, drink lots of water too, as the first day or so you'll actually feel the toxins leave your body and may get a little nauseous!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    as the first day or so you'll actually feel the toxins leave your body and may get a little nauseous!

Um.. what? :huh:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    as the first day or so you'll actually feel the toxins leave your body and may get a little nauseous!

So does it look something like when The Doctor regenerates? Bolts of light shooting out of your arms and head, carrying the toxinz from your body??
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I recommend these products for juicing:

small-intestine.jpg

8816_15104_5.jpg

liver.jpg
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

So does it look something like when The Doctor regenerates? Bolts of light shooting out of your arms and head, carrying the toxinz from your body??

I... I was not expecting that. Now whenever I hear someone describing toxins leaving the body, I'll think of the Doctor regenerating. Thank you for this. :drinker:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I did use this gif already today... but, when the shoe fits...

iBWthngEHllyO.gif
  • jhalton
    Options
    Apples and lemons really take the grassy taste away from kale. My 'go to' juice is apple, kale, carrot and celery. I also like to add lemon or ginger sometimes. Experiment and see what you like...good luck!
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I... I was not expecting that. Now whenever I hear someone describing toxins leaving the body, I'll think of the Doctor regenerating. Thank you for this. :drinker:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WINNER WINNER WINNER

although now i am sad.... i miss my raggedy doctor already!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WINNER WINNER WINNER

although now i am sad.... i miss my raggedy doctor already!
    IKR? I still haven't recovered from Tennant's departure. "I don't want to go!"

I blame my son for turning me into a Whovian, Now I see DW references in everything!

And just so this stays on topic-- Bananas are good!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Try making soup out of the veggies instead of juice. You'll be more likely to enjoy it. I love fruit juice, but there are very few veggies I can tolerate mixed in with it. (The exception is store-made fruit and vegetable juices. But they don't have to specify how much of the veggie is in there, so I suspect it's mostly fruit juice with some splashes of veggie.)
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to any of these negative people. I have a protein/fruit/seeds smoothie almost each morning and now have a Nutribullet so I can add some veggies. I am going to experiment with different veggies, use recipes online, and find a few that boost my morning vitamin intake. Tip, bananas help with sweetness and a few nuts with the texture. Good Luck and experiment!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to any of these negative people. I have a protein/fruit/seeds smoothie almost each morning and now have a Nutribullet so I can add some veggies. I am going to experiment with different veggies, use recipes online, and find a few that boost my morning vitamin intake. Tip, bananas help with sweetness and a few nuts with the texture. Good Luck and experiment!!

I love smoothies too, but they are different than juicing. OP will probably have a hard time with veggie juicing if she doesn't like veggies.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Juicing strips almost all the fiber out of the vegetable, you're better off blending it if you're gonna go this route. Also blenders are a lot cheaper.