PolarFt4 vs FitBit

Options
Getting ready to purchase one of these and would greatly appreciate input....Polar Ft4 or FitBit???

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depends on your needs. Polar FT4 is used only when exercising . I believe FitBit is used throughout the day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    PolarFT4 is an HRM. Fitbit is a fancy pedometer. Get the Polar if you want to track burns while exercising; get the Fitbit if you want a ballpark figure of your daily calorie burn.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Both

I have a HRM for cardio workouts & wear the fitbit one all day so I can see how active generally I have been. HRM is a must if you want to workout in a HR zone & stay in that zone & I would not be without my fitbit mainly due to me walking alot, if you don't walk that much then perhaps a HRM is a better option if you just want one.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you do lots of walking the Fitbit is better but if you tend to hit the gym or do other types of exercise the HRM is better. I have both
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is a response I wrote to a similar thread about a week or so ago .... hope it helps...

The key point is to recognise that these are two really different things and used for different purposes.

The Fitbit is a pedometer, it tracks your daily steps and some level of intensity, but it does not accurately track your heart rate and does not track all forms of motion effectively - as such it will not give you an accurate burn rate for some exercises - such a cycling, rowing, swimming, weight lifting and gym classes.

I use it only to track my daily walking - and basically to keep me accountable for doing a certainly amount of steps a day - and it really does that.

I use a chest strap HRM for all exercise other than walking. The good thing is that the Fitbit will synch to MFP and when you log an exercise using a HRM it will overwrite the fitbit calculation for that period of time if you have it set up right. So it will give you a great read and much more accurate read if you want this.

Of course an HRM will also help you to set some fitness goals, times, distance, intensity, exertion also.

So in the end the two are complimentary.

There is Fitbit group here and if you ask to join there are lots of threads of information.

Good luck with your decision :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This is a response I wrote to a similar thread about a week or so ago .... hope it helps...

The key point is to recognise that these are two really different things and used for different purposes.

The Fitbit is a pedometer, it tracks your daily steps and some level of intensity, but it does not accurately track your heart rate and does not track all forms of motion effectively - as such it will not give you an accurate burn rate for some exercises - such a cycling, rowing, swimming, weight lifting and gym classes.

I use it only to track my daily walking - and basically to keep me accountable for doing a certainly amount of steps a day - and it really does that.

I use a chest strap HRM for all exercise other than walking. The good thing is that the Fitbit will synch to MFP and when you log an exercise using a HRM it will overwrite the fitbit calculation for that period of time if you have it set up right. So it will give you a great read and much more accurate read if you want this.

Of course an HRM will also help you to set some fitness goals, times, distance, intensity, exertion also.

So in the end the two are complimentary.

There is Fitbit group here and if you ask to join there are lots of threads of information.

Good luck with your decision :)

Definitely this! I have both, HRM for cardio exercise which I then log the HRM cal burn on the Fitbit app. This gives me exercise cals and the Fitbit then gives me an estimate of cals used just going about my day. Combining the 2 gives me an estimate of my TDEE.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    PolarFT4 is an HRM. Fitbit is a fancy pedometer. Get the Polar if you want to track burns while exercising; get the Fitbit if you want a ballpark figure of your daily calorie burn.

Agreed. I have both (Polar FT7). I only wear the HRM during exercise. The Fitbit I put on in the morning and take off at night (I have the Zip, it doesn't monitor sleep). The Fitbit tells me my daily calorie burn and how many steps I've taken in a day. I call it a glorified pedometer (that I love more than any other pedometer I've had)
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    I wanted (and now have!) both for one reason. they both do different things.

the fitbit is basically a fancier pedometer but it is able to log a bit easier -- this is great for if you are a walker and not a gym rat :)

the HRM is awesome for gym rats and people that do a lot of high intensity cardio, it helps to stay in the zone AND figure out a more accurate reading of how many calories you have burned (because of how hard your heart is working!)

I've had them both for only a day or two -- but already super pleased that I got both
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have both. I have had my fitbit for about a year. I just got my Polar for Christmas.... I am already in love with my Polar.
    I always liked my fitbit but I had a hard time really knowing what I burned during a workout (especially strength training). Turns out I burn a heck of a lot at a full gym session. The fitbit determines your burned calories basically from the steps you take. So if you aren't running or on an elliptical you have to kind of judge for yourself which drove me bananas.

I like to be a precise as possible so I like both, but I'd say the PolarFt4. Gave me a ton of motivation while at the gym!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    both. i started with a fitbit flex. its ok. i like to reach my step goals. but the main thing i love about this thing is my alarm clock in the morning. its so much easier and peaceful to wake up to a vibration then my alarm blaring some music at me. so for that alone, i would purchase it again if i needed to. but the novelty of it wore off pretty quickly.

the ft7 i just got about a week and a half ago. I FRICKIN LOVE IT. who doesnt love to see the actual calories you are burning while working out. I love love love love love it.

But like everyone else says it definitely shouldnt be one or the other. unless its a financial decision. then just buy the other when you get the money.
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Unlike the others I think Polar is better. It shows actual burns. I also own Bodymedia, it's similar to Fitbit, and I don't use it any more as I don't count the steps and I think it's not accurate for actual burns.