Diabetic No More!

Options
I just had my 6 month follow up. All my numbers and values are perfect! I'm so happy! Still lots of weight to lose, but thrilled to have this done !

Replies

• MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is awesome!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    really good news. 2014 I hope will see you where you want to be and maintaining. So very good news
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on controlling your diabetes!
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, congrats and keep up the good "work"
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!
  • PaulaRicco
    PaulaRicco Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Bring on 2014!!!
  • shortdub
    shortdub Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    what did you do to get it under control? i know someone that is sick right now. i would love to share some of your tips!
  • vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great job, part of the reason I want to lose weight, before I get it.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Was this gestational diabetes or straight-up, bad genes Type II?
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I stuck to a 1200 cal diet (mostly), had less than 40-50g carbs each meal, as much protein and fiber as possible. As many veggies as I could muster and 2000 mg of metformin daily.

I had gestational diabetes two years ago, where I was insulin dependant. After my son was born, my blood sugars seemed to level out. My OB recommended yearly testing but I just didn't do it. This summer I wad noticing subtle things with my body. And as a nurse, I tend to try to be more in tune with myself. I went and got tested and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It was mild, but given my weight and blood sugars, that's what it was. With a lot of dieting and a little exercise, my numbers are STELLAR. PM me if anyone needs/wants support or has any more questions :-)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is not transient :ohwell:

If one goes back to old habits, blood sugars will rise out of control again.

Congratulations OP, keep that tiger in a box :drinker:
  • lsbrown78
    Options
    Awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is not transient :ohwell:

If one goes back to old habits, blood sugars will rise out of control again.

Congratulations OP, keep that tiger in a box :drinker:

Appreciate it. I'm aware its not transient just as I'm aware bad habits will put me back ti square one. I was rediagnosed in the sense it is now classified as a metabolic disorder.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I have been pronounced an ex-diabetic too, and was instructed to stop taking metformin several weeks ago. If anyone wants information about reversing type 2 diabetes, I found the link below helpful.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yay! Nice job!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Great news for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Health before anything else. Keep it up.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just had my 6 month follow up. All my numbers and values are perfect! I'm so happy! Still lots of weight to lose, but thrilled to have this done !

Congrats! Keep it up
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congratulations! I love the way you listened to your body, realized something wasn't right, and then followed up with your physician and made changes to manage diabetes without medication. That's an empowering story for everyone. ~Lynn /Glucerna