Easy, Cheap, GOOD take-to-work lunches??

Options
13»

Replies

• Wifey7891
    Options
    I snack a lot during the day. Fruit, mixed nuts, yogurt and granola. I bring salads a lot for lunch, tuna sandwiches, stir fry with rice, pastas, etc.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Take whatever veggies are in season. Chop into 1" chunks. Toss with olive oil, sea salt and herbs de Provence and some garlic. Roast covered 20 min at 475 then uncover and roast til soft and have some color, tossing occasionally. My faves are turnip, parsnip, carrot, onions, Brussels sprouts, and sweet taters 'cause they are all pretty cheap and slow carb. When I make roasted yellow squash I replace the herbes de Provence with chili powder. The roasted veggies are good for a wk. I make a huge pan and they are good hot or cold.
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of roasting four chicken breasts and then chopping them up to use for the week for salads. I like spinach salads with pomegranate dressing, goat cheese, and honey roasted sliced almonds or balsamic dressings with green apple and blue cheese and nuts.
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't do this every week but I can make a turkey chili on Sunday that lasts me and the gf all week if I used 40 oz of ground turkey and two cans of beans (rinse well). I worked it out once and it was under 200 Cals for a one cup serving so you could either have more or supplement it with something else.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I swear by cheese sticks & greek yogurt - I need dairy and protein or I get the munchies. I get a big container of plain yogurt and a bag of frozen fruit and mix my own yogurt every day and is a lot less expensive than single serving packs.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump! :-)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I understand a tight budget!!

The best thing to do is to cook your meals ahead at home. This way you know what's going in your food, you control the fat and sodium, and you can do it on the cheap.

I like to cook dried beans (3/4 black beans, 1/4 Pinto- get a bag of these for less than $2) rinse, boil, let sit for an hour, rinse, then cover with hot water/broth in the crockpot or in a pot on the stove. Add salsa or tomatoes and onions ( cooked with ground beef if you like meat), hot sauce, garlic, plus what ever else you find in your spice rack that may be interesting, and cook for 2-6 hours until they are tender.

Once the beans are made, I stir fry or roast veggies (cabbage, onions, yams, green peppers, squash- get what is on sale and preferably in season) and add them with the beans to a tortilla and roll into burritos that I can freeze.

Total time for a week's worth of lunches: shopping: 30 min round trip, cooking/prep: about an hour. Total $$ for a week's worth of burritos: .50 for the beans, $1 for the salsa, $5-7 for the veggies: definitely less than $10 for 2 burritos per day. Total Calories per burrito (non-meat version): about 150 each.

Or just stir fry veggies and take that in a container.
    Or take left overs from the night before (just cook a little more)
    Or skip all that, get a Costco box of salad, and add different things to it each day: smoked salmon (about $1.50/serving), chicken, cheese (sparingly), cranberries, sliced almonds (get from bulk isle), shredded coconut, apples/berries, avacado, plus what ever else you put on it...

Good luck, you can do this!
  • srkelley9
    srkelley9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker, prep rice in it and use the upper area of it to steam veggies and chicken. The rice (brown preferably) will be what really fills you. The chicken (tenderloins preferred by me) and veggies are there to help balance it. Water and tea are cheap and even free at some places (I get water, tea, coffee and oatmeal free at my job). You could even bring in your own lemon and lime juice to sweeten the tea or make lemon/lime-aid.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A 5 dollar rotisserie chicken can be a weeks worth of lunch, here are some things I add to the chopped chicken,

1. Chopped apple, celery, walnuts, curry powder and greek yogurt or light mayo
    2. Frozen "fiesta" veggies, salsa, and black beans
    3. Greek yogurt ranch dressing mix, franks buffalo sauce, eat with celery sticks
    4. Chopped artichoke hearts, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese
    5. Frozen corn, tomato, enchilada sauce, and cheddar

There is a week and a whole chicken.......I eat low carb but you could wrap any of this in a tortilla, pita, or not. I use an ice pack and lunch sack. Add an apple or banana for a pm snack.

Happy lunching.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I usually make some big batches of stews/soups, casseroles, etc that I can easily take to work and reheat. Cooking with scratch ingredients takes some time (but I enjoy it) and it is far cheaper than buying the same product already pre-made and packaged. Example, I can make a gallon of chunky chicken noodle soup that is going to feed me and my family for about the price of two Campbell's cans.