Will I go down a jean size :(?

Options
So, I just got 7 pairs of pants as a gift for Christmas to restock my closet.

They're my current size, size 3's
Im almost to goal ( less than a pound away )
but I want to start working on body composition after I hit maintenance.
( starting maintenance in a few weeks )

I am terrified since it was about $100 in jeans that they wont fit.
I've heard that it takes up to 12lbs to go down in jean size, but if Im losing inches from body composition, will they not fit?

Probably a paranoia question, but im worried since this was my only chance at new clothes.
And they're really nice jeans too! They fit perfectly right now in all the right places.

Anyone have experience in this kinda thing that can re-assure me?
( or even tell me im doomed ) :tongue:

Replies

• A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You may go down a size...have you thought about not taking the tags off of half of them? Maybe wear a few now and take back the others for a gift card and then reward yourself with new jeans if you go down a size.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm on the smaller side and find that it doesn't take that many pounds to vary in pants sizes (anywhere from a 00 to a 4 with 15 lbs). But I guess it really depends on your body componsition and where you carry your weight.

Complete aside: Where the heck can you find 7 pairs of jeans for $100??? Or do you mean $100 each?
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I went to a Christmas sale. Hehe. They were originally like 40$ jeans for 10 bucks.
    So basically you guys think they're not gonna fit :(??

I could cry lol. I don't have the tags
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you go down a size, wash them in hot water and put them in the dryer.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Score for you!!! Maybe consider keeping some of them with their tags like the other poster suggested. If your body does change then you can always take those in and exchange them for a smaller size. Hopefully the smaller size will look just as amazing on you :). I find fitting into different pants can be affected by time of the month too... so don't sweat if they get a little lose. If you close to maintance they might still fit but just a little losser. Besides, washing shrinks jeans right?
  • Makoce
    Options
    I hope they'll shrink in the wash!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I went to a Christmas sale. Hehe. They were originally like 40$ jeans for 10 bucks.

dang, that was a great sale! I can only speak from my own experience, but yes I continued to change shape even after I transitioned into maintenance and did go down in jeans sizes. But, like someone else said-wash/dry them on hot and that can help shrink them, if you need to down the road :)
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (and not my experiences, since I haven't been doing any body recomposition...yet) you will lose inches, but it's not like the jeans will be falling off of you within 2 weeks time, or even 2 months time. I am under the impression that body recomposition can take months and months, even up to years to achieve. So no, I don't think your money will be going to waste. If the inches change, you can get them taken in or wear a belt.
  • cahtchme
    cahtchme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I've lost around 20 pounds the last few months and I'm barely fitting into a pair of size 20s at the moment. (I was in size 22s before the 20 lbs). Previously at this weight, I believe I was wearing size 18s almost 8 years ago. However, I did have a baby within the last year so I think that has affected my hips a bit.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been dropping sizes because of my weight loss and what I have been doing is buying and selling my clothes on the buy and sell. Most cities have their own group on Facebook. Or you can use Kijiji or Craigslist or whatever. If those jeans are worth $40 you could probably get $20. So save a few and keep them in good condition and try and sell them. :drinker:
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do you have to keep them all? I would keep only one or two pairs until I knew for sure my size was solid. If money is an issue Ive heard of people wearing second hand clothes until they are finalized. Whats the difference, after you wash them they are clean and used anyways, right? Could buy you time and save you cash.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I've heard that it takes up to 12lbs to go down in jean size, but if Im losing inches from body composition, will they not fit?

Probably a paranoia question, but im worried since this was my only chance at new clothes.
    And they're really nice jeans too! They fit perfectly right now in all the right places.

All you can really do is just wait and see. I'm a 3/4 normally, I recently lost about 3 lbs and the 4s I bought for work are loose. They still fit, they're just loose. They probably won't shrink in the wash as most of today's jeans are made with a bit of stretchy material and tend to get looser as you wear them. On the plus side, they won't slide down when you squat if they're a little loose and low rise! :)
    The one pound you have to lose shouldn't make a difference in how they fit. And as you work on body composition and your body changes (slow process) the pants should adapt to you as you're already wearing them. You shouldn't change much in size just working on maintenance and composition.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 6 & am wearing my old size 9/10s. Just wear a belt. Or sell them on craigslist & get new ones. I've been wearing these big jeans since July. No worries!
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

I buy clothing when I need it. I buy clothing that fits me, with no thought if they will fit in 3 months or even two.
    That said I don't think I've ever owned 7 pairs of pants at the same time. Are they really different or similar? Do you need all those pants?
  • Makoce
    Options
    All the same size. But different brands and type.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    what's size 3? is it like US junior size 3? if so that's so tiny....
  • Makoce
    Options
    Yes juniors 3. I'm short.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    All the same size. But different brands and type.

Who cares, you got a great deal, you can have as many pairs of pants as you want!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a smaller waist but runners legs so my jeans are a pain usually. You can take them to a tailor and they can take them in a little bit. It's really not too expensive and worth it if you got the jeans on sale anyway ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Have you tried them on? How do they fit now?