Helppp for a 21 year old

Options
Hello everyone!
I am a 21 year old female and just registered for my fitness pal. I am so frustrated with my weight because I am 4' 10' and 133 pounds. Can you guys please tell me which approach works best? I have tried countless approaches to losing weight like Atkins, Dukan, Furhman etc. I am also a vegetarian if that makes a difference. Also please feel free to add me :) I am definitely looking to join a support system so we can all help each other through this :-)
I am really excited to begin a weightloss journey but I dont where to start. Can any of you please share what has worked the best for you?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to avoid the idea of starting a "diet". Diets are usually fads that are unsustainable. It's much better to think of it as a lifestyle change, one that will be permanent. Instead of eliminating one food source or another, try smaller amounts of each to get a healthy amount of all of them. The key to weight loss is this: eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. It's also important to exercise, as you can be thin and unhealthy, and sometimes cutting weight without exercise can cause you to lose muscle. You are at the start of something great!
    Think like this: 4 oz of protein at each meal, a small serving of carbs (whole grain/high fiber if possible) and a large serviing of vegetables. Don't completely eliminate fat, as your body needs some, just cut it down some and mostly eat lean meat like chicken or fish. Don't try to completely go without treats, just have one only once or twice a week, a small serving. You'll find you really enjoy them even more when you only have them once in a while.
  • dosa101010
    dosa101010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much McCindy72! that was some really good information! I am really excited to change myself and hopefully for good, I just find it harder to eat higher protein because I am a vegetarian
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Thank you very much McCindy72! that was some really good information! I am really excited to change myself and hopefully for good, I just find it harder to eat higher protein because I am a vegetarian

Oh, my apologies. I missed that in your OP. Are you a strict vegetarian, or do you eat eggs and things like that? Quinoa, beans and nuts are all good sources of protein if you don't eat anything animal products at all. Beans (legumes like navy beans, kidney beans and lentils) are also high in fiber, so they will make you feel fuller and kill between-meal hunger cravings.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I am a 21 year old female and just registered for my fitness pal. I am so frustrated with my weight because I am 4' 10' and 133 pounds. Can you guys please tell me which approach works best? I have tried countless approaches to losing weight like Atkins, Dukan, Furhman etc. I am also a vegetarian if that makes a difference. Also please feel free to add me :) I am definitely looking to join a support system so we can all help each other through this :-)
    I am really excited to begin a weightloss journey but I dont where to start. Can any of you please share what has worked the best for you?
    FInd out what your BMR and TDEE is and start to eat less than that.
    Then start a cardio program.
    good luck
  • Senconding the recommendation to figure out your TDEE. I have Similar stats, and I lost weight by roughly counting calories, eating cleaner, and doing a variety of activities. My suggestion is to find activities you enjoy. Currently I do a combination of xardio, boot camp classes, and yoga.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great info already

I am also 4' 10"! not as many of us 'shorties' around.

I count calories and work out. I've been fairly loose on my calorie counting now that my weight is down, but I'm still working on toning and changing. Its a lifestyle... no diets here
  • dosa101010
    dosa101010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nancybuss, roughly how many calories and how much working out is needed? I feel that shorter women have slower losses
  • Shines01
    Shines01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eating a clean diet can do wonders. Avoid fried foods, soda, alcohol, refined sugar and white breads, rice, and pasta. I also am doing a 10 day cleanse to jumpstart my body to weight loss. Make sure you are drinking a ton of water each day, you would be surprised how dehydration effects your body. Also with workouts make sure you are doing a mixture of cardio and resistance training to burn fat and tone muscle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Eating a clean diet can do wonders. Avoid fried foods, soda, alcohol, refined sugar and white breads, rice, and pasta. I also am doing a 10 day cleanse to jumpstart my body to weight loss. Make sure you are drinking a ton of water each day, you would be surprised how dehydration effects your body. Also with workouts make sure you are doing a mixture of cardio and resistance training to burn fat and tone muscle.

I would say do not make foods off-limits. I've maintained my weight in a healthy range for many years and I regularly have alcohol, refined sugar, bread, rice and pasta, foods sautéed in butter. Is it helpful to log all your foods so you know how much of certain carbohydrates is a good amount? Yes. But no need to eliminate any of your list.

Cleanses? Yeah. No.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You make a good point with this. Every person is different, but even a person who is doing well with weight may not be as healthy as they could be, if there is a lot of refined sugar and white flour in his or her diet. It's okay to have some of these things sometimes, as long as they are a "sometimes" treat with lots of healthy eating regularly.
    Cleanses can be dangerous, depending. What type of cleanse are you doing? Just juicing with no other food sources for multiple days can be harmful, especially if you aren't making sure to get enough calories.