To Marathon or Half?

2»

Replies

• emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Lol my step dad did that when he ran a half with me a month ago and asked me if I wanted one... I was like lol no thanks :)
  • Whatever you decide to do, please don't put a douchey sticker on the back of your car letting me know that you are a 13.1 or 26.2. So lame.

Personally I love those stickers! Runners should be proud of what they've accomplished :smile:

In regards to OP, I'm not a pro runner (and have never done a FM) but it definitely sounds like the half is a better bet for you at this point. Best of luck with whatever you decide!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Whatever you decide to do, please don't put a douchey sticker on the back of your car letting me know that you are a 13.1 or 26.2. So lame.

My favorite was one I saw that said "0.02 - Couch 2 Fridge"

Stickers don't phase me one way or the other I didn't see any reason to put one on my car, but I'm fine with people who do. In my case, running a half or a marathon (even the first) wasn't a singular goal. I've done and will do multiples of each, so the distance is not a big milestone. However, I know that for many people it is a major goal and accomplishment. If they want to show pride with a sticker, that's reasonable.
  • Whatever you decide to do, please don't put a douchey sticker on the back of your car letting me know that you are a 13.1 or 26.2. So lame.

Why is it douchey to want to brag about an accomplishment?

Have you done a half or full marathon? A tri? An Iron Man? People that do those sort of races have every reason to be proud and show it off.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Whatever you decide to do, please don't put a douchey sticker on the back of your car letting me know that you are a 13.1 or 26.2. So lame.

I'm sorry it's considered lame to you...but to me, it's a huge accomplishment. As someone who was never athletic before, does not have anyone in my immediate family or friends who runs, and used to be overweight, it is a big deal. It takes a lot of dedication to run a marathon. 2 to 4 hour runs every single weekend, getting up at 4:30AM to get weekday runs in, etc. So yes, I will be putting a 26.2 sticker on my car after I finish my first marathon in 2 weeks. Deal with it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

Did your mother torment you with these stickers as a child? Why so much hate?
  • emAZn
    I may be crazy but I decided to give the 20 miler a try tomorrow... Even if it's an epic fail at least I made it to that mental hurdle and I'll know what to expect during my next marathon training.. Plus I have about 2 dozen cookies in my belly I need to burn off :)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Good idea!

See how you feel afterwards and then decide.

Good luck!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    You sound like you find running miserable right now. Not a great time to tackle a marathon.

Running should be fun!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    I realized I never really answered your question (just got mad at the anti-sticker guy)...

With a 7 hour time limit, you should definitely have plenty of time to run/walk it.

However, you might find it miserable and then never want to do one again!!! And you should enjoy it!

But do the 20 mile training run and see how it goes. If it's not terrible, you can always try for the marathon.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    I have been in your position. I have entered marathons twice and each time backed out at the last minute. I remember one very memorable 18mile run, I cried the whole last 2 miles and spent the next week dreading my. 20 mile run. The 20 mile run didn't happen and neither did the marathon. I have now decided doing a full marathon is no longer one of my goals, I am happy with halfs feel I can do these well and just want to concentrate on improving my time. Also my goals have changed to include strength training and I now want to gain some muscle. Marathon running is counterproductive to building muscle so for the time being this is not in my training plan. . I am not saying I will never do a marathon just not now. I think you could complete the marathon but will you be satisfied with just completing I know for me I wouldn't be happy unless I got a decent time. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • emAZn
    No I don't find running miserable, I love it and I love accomplishing my goals. I just got overwelmed and lost my confidence. The worst thing that can happen tomorrow is I call the bf to come pick me up.
  • barnettsa
    barnettsa Posts: 15 Member
    I have a 20 mile training run to do tomorrow too. I hope your run goes well and can listen to your body if you feel your injury bothering you again and can push past negative thoughts of quitting if you feel ok otherwise.
  • nicholsc636
    nicholsc636 Posts: 3 Member
    Do the half. You could definitely finish the full, but it's not about finishing, it's about finishing without tearing yourself apart.

It's not there for you.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Rock the half.
    Train for another full then rock it when you're fully ready. ;)
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member

Doesn't sound like those of us with the stickers are the lame ones . . .