Damn Christmas Cookies!

Options
Well, I blew it. I lost a lot of weight in 2012 on a low-carb diet and was really happy and motivated. After slowly slipping off the wagon during all of 2013, I felt defeated once Christmas came and went to town on cookies, candies, carbs, and more carbs; carbs as far as the eye could see. To make matters worse, I am supposed to be on Metformin for PCOS but stopped taking my medication.

I have no clothes because after losing weight, I donated all my fat clothes. Now, I am stuffing myself like a sausage in sweat pants and my fiance's t-shirts. Ugh!!!!!

I am graduating from college in May and I want to walk up to that stage with my head held high and feeling healthy again. So, here I am. I am going to go back on my low-carb diet, start taking my medication again, and get back on that treadmill.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you chose low carb?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the OP, but I make much better choices low carb than not. Especially those bread-y carbs...
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also find I do better when I try to limit my carbs and dont feel bad, I did the same thing this last month and really looking forward to a new start in 2014!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of carbs myself, I just know a lot of friends who have lost tons of weight low carb and then gained it back somehow so I am curious about this.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Carbs are what your body uses to feed the Krebs Cycle for aerobic respiration while you're working out. Your muscles are energy-hungry and when you are using them need to use up the fastest form of energy possible, so it will use up it's glycogen stores and carbohydrates. If you continue to use those muscles as an accelerated rate for longer than those reserves last, your body will start burning proteins as the next easiest thing to feed into the Krebs Cycle, not fat. Your body will turn to the fat reserves when you are using less muscle, so it can take the time to replenish your glycogen reserves.

So, if you want to keep/build muscle while working out, low carb is a pretty bad way to go.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    Low carb diets are sometimes doctor recommended for people with PCOS.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy....eating too much food is the enemy and not having the willpower to say that's enough. It's OK to treat yourself in moderation (2 or 3 cookies is good...the whole package is bad). Maybe try 'getting back on the wagon' and just eat sensibly and healthy and not restrict yourself so much. Stay in your calorie goal and treat yourself everyday in moderation.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Ladies with PCOS are usually put in a low carb diet; some of the symptoms are obesity and insulin resistance that is why the OP was on Metformin.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You can do it....If you did it before you can do it again...:drinker:
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    No, you didn't blow it. You can do it again! Blowing it implies that there are no more chances left. Get back on- you've got this!:flowerforyou:
  • skinnygrad
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragements. Yes. I think I can do it again, and to answer the question about why I picked low-carb, it was because my doctor suggested it based on having PCOS. Honestly, I thought it sounded gimmicky at first but I followed what my doctor suggested and it really made a drastic difference, not only in my weight, but with my PCOS as well.

It's just a daunting path but I am grateful for myfitnesspal. It really helps me stay mindful of what I am eating.