30 Pounds in 4 Months

Options
Hey everybody! So, I'm new here and was hoping to get a little advice. I'm 5'4 and 152.8 pounds currently. I'm aiming to get to my goal of 120 pounds by May 2014. My plan is to use a calorie counter app, which says I should eat 1672 calories a day. I plan to walk with my dog for half an hour everyday and run on the treadmill at 5 mph and a 5% incline for an hour Monday through Friday. Do you feel that this will help me lose 1.5-2 pounds a week? Also, I'm a vegetarian and I'm trying to get an idea of what I should be snacking on and the like. Any advice would be super appreciated!!

Replies

• AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ... Vegetables? Haha sorry I had to but seriously carrots, or celery with peanut butter are good snacks both are pretty low cal you could also substitute peanut butter for another type of nut butter or humus. Snap peas are yummy too.
  • ctaylor0406
    Options
    Im 5'2 and 161...I want to lose about the same...need some motivation I feel alone in all this lol
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure. but in my personal experience, if you have never dieted before and your lightest weight was around 120, you might be able to reach it by limiting calorie intake but it has drawback and your body might not like it and will try to fight back.

if you never weight 120, this may not be as easy as just dieting...

good luck~
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    With 30 lbs to lose, 1 pound a week is a more realistic goal. You also need to factor in that you will probably plateau at some point, and the closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose weight. You're not going to lose 30 lbs at a reliable 2 lbs per week loss. Read through the message boards, there are people within 10 lbs of their goal who are only losing a 1/2 lb per week.
  • lily12973486
    Options
    Im 5'2 and 161...I want to lose about the same...need some motivation I feel alone in all this lol

I got curious, hopped on the scale the other day and was so shocked. I've kind of been feeling for a while that my weight was a little out of hand, but that really hit home for me. My motivation is to get my asthma under control, because my doctor says that my weight plays a big factor in it, and that my boyfriend is really supportive. He wants to work on his upper body and we're really competitive so I bet that I could get more toned than him! But, hey, if you want to friend me and talk sometime, I'll be here to help support you however I can.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    To start with you might see numbers in the 2lbs per week range but as you get closer to healthy weight, your lose will slow down to the point you might only be seeing 0.5lbs per week. So you might lose 8-10lbs in your first months but the remaining 20lbs could take 4-7 months depending on you and your body.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! So, I'm new here and was hoping to get a little advice. I'm 5'4 and 152.8 pounds currently. I'm aiming to get to my goal of 120 pounds by May 2014. My plan is to use a calorie counter app, which says I should eat 1672 calories a day. I plan to walk with my dog for half an hour everyday and run on the treadmill at 5 mph and a 5% incline for an hour Monday through Friday. Do you feel that this will help me lose 1.5-2 pounds a week? Also, I'm a vegetarian and I'm trying to get an idea of what I should be snacking on and the like. Any advice would be super appreciated!!

I'm curious how the calorie counter app came up with 1672 calories per day? Did you factor the exercise into that? I'm a 5'8 male, 165 lbs, and trying to lose 0.5 lbs per week, MFP gives me a base of about 1700 calories per day.

Would it be so bad to change your goal to: Having the scale move in a positive ( DOWN ) direction each week, by making positive steps towards losing weight each week.... That is, your first goal would be to log everything you eat, then adjust to fit within your calorie goals, and get some exercise each day.

Chuckled a bit at the reply that you should be snacking on vegetables..... seems reasonable. :wink:

Check this link, it will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

250px-ObiWanHS-SWE.jpg