Addicted to the gym

Options
I need help MFP family. I am addicted to the gym. I know you should give your body days to relax but i feel like if I don't go to the gym i feel like "blah". The gym is my escape goat. When I am dealing with family issues or frustrated at school I just go to the gym and it's like nothing matters at all. I was force out the gym on Christmas because they were closed =( but today I went crazy. My question is "Will i do any body damaging by working out everyday?" I rotate my days such as Monday, Wednesday & Fridays are upper body and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays are lower body and Sunday is just cardio.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go every day to get good results....you'd probably get better results not going every day!

Use the time to do something else for you, take the time out to pamper yourself, or do something you wouldn't otherwise have time to do. Read a book, take a bath, do your nails...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I work out just about every day, but I avoid doing the same type of exercise two days in a row. I haven't had any issues with that. I would not call myself "addicted," but it is a daily habit obviously. I am the type of person who if I did not exercise every day, would make excuses to put it off "until tomorrow." Doing it daily keeps me doing it.
  • MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Alison,

Thanks. I think it is just a daily habit I have. I love the gym and I thought i was doing body damage by going everyday. I switch up my exercises too. It so i don't get bored
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It's fine if your body recovers. You can exercise one body part one day, other another day. Or you can even exercise every body part every day if you don't do it too much. It's tricky cos you have to know your body well and know how good are you recovering so safe line is to work out every body part every other day with a min a day of rest between. Other than that it is completely fine.
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    Thanks Ainar =)
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No problem with working out everyday if that's what you like. I work out at least 6 days are week - 7 days when I know there's a big holiday coming up and want a few extra calories to work with. Along with losing weight I found - like you - that working out is a stress reliever.

I do see people somewhat like you who come in the gym to work out and have to be run out also. Again, there's nothing wrong with working out, but when you get to the point that you must do it or else - I don't think that's good. Not trying to be mean or negagive - could you be using hte gym as an escape? Yes, I use it to relieve stress - but if there's an issue in my life I have to deal with it - it won't go away because I go to the gym. Working out clears my head and lets me know that the problem is not as bad as I think it is. If you are doing a lifestyle change then you know that you cannot work out everyday - life will get in the way. Plus sometimes it's good to exercise something else besides the body. :heart:
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    Ned,

To answer your question you stated, "could you be using the gym as an escape?" Yes and no. I go to the gym because its helps me clear my mind due to all the b.s that has been happening personal and business life. When i am in the gym, with my headphones listening to my favorite songs, its like nothing else matters. I do cardio everyday. I will walk on the treadmill and/or bike. On days when I need to give my muscles a break, I will just walk around in the pool and relax. I honestly enjoy working out. The gym has always been a scary place to me because i always pictured it as a place with a lot of fit people lifting weights. I found out that there are people like me that go and it gives me the courage to continue to go because i am not alone. Going to the gym is a must for me. When the gym was closed on Christmas and I was not able to work out, my body felt like "blah." I am just fearful that if i limit myself to NOT going to the gym on certain days, then I will start making excuses and not go. I don't know if going everyday is helping me with my weight loss because i weigh myself on the last day of the month so I will see on the
    31st. Some people said they can see the difference but to me i still look the same.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    MissJ, how long have you been doing this routine? I don't think I am a gym junkie but at some time of my life I was desparate and depressed to lose weight, I went all bonkers, following P90X and running on top of it (call it double). But it only took me 2 months before I realized how badly I was burned out and how much worse my depression was...now I take it easy. Exercise is still part of my daily lift but I don't over do it again (35-40 min daily, some weights, alernating with HIIT cardio, and some relaxing walkings). I feel much better and my body fat has been dropping in a very obvious way. Good luck to you~
  • albayin
    Options
    having said that, however, going to gym everyday is not necessarily something really bad...people have done that and will still do it. The question is how your body and mind respond to this intensity. Are you happy? or are you more frustrated (due to lack of result or something else)...do you feel weaker like getting sick more easily? does your sleep pattern change? do you feel pain and aren't able to recover from it quickly?
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 7 days a week first thing each morning (gets me going and leaves me ready to face work on weekdays) but rotate things so I don't hit the same area all the time. Mon and Thursday are upper body, Wednesday is leg day, Saturday I do a low weight circuit routine over all my body parts, and Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday are cardio days.

Haven't gotten burned out yet.
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    Albay,

When i go to the gym, I am usually there about 2 hours. I start off doing cardio and some strength training. If I do upper body i will usually hit about 5-6 machines that works out the upper body and vice versa for the lower body. I am not frustrated because i am not doing it just to see results. I am not going to the gym everyday to see fast results. I am going because i enjoy working out and it helps relieve my stress and anxiety. I have been going to the gym off and on since October but this month I have been going everyday and probably missed 2 days out this month. I always change my routine for example Jan. I am going to change my cardio and instead of walking on the treadmill for cardio I am going to do zumba.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 6x per week when life doesn't interfere. On the 7th day my dh and I go for a long walk which is wonderful. We just talk and enjoy the fresh air even if it's really cold out.
    I do some kind of cardio everyday and lift light weights 3x a week. I can't lift heavy due to medical reasons.
    I don't think it does any harm unless you really wear yourself out and you're right, it's a great stress and depression reliever.
    For me it has also helped lower my LDL to normal along with the weight loss and now helps me maintain.
    The best thing I used my time in the gym for was as a replacement for smoking.
    It's been 10 years smoke free!
    So go to the gym and enjoy all the many benefits and when it's closed-take a lovely walk.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You can.Just don't work the same muscles everyday when it comes to weights....Sometimes if I get bored I also make a fun day basketball,swim,jump rope to change it up...(I know that is off topic some ,but just saying):happy:
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Albay,

When i go to the gym, I am usually there about 2 hours. I start off doing cardio and some strength training. If I do upper body i will usually hit about 5-6 machines that works out the upper body and vice versa for the lower body. I am not frustrated because i am not doing it just to see results. I am not going to the gym everyday to see fast results. I am going because i enjoy working out and it helps relieve my stress and anxiety. I have been going to the gym off and on since October but this month I have been going everyday and probably missed 2 days out this month. I always change my routine for example Jan. I am going to change my cardio and instead of walking on the treadmill for cardio I am going to do zumba.

Do you do 5-6 different machines and never do them twice?What my trainer had me do was 2 muscle groups in 2 different ways on each muscle...,but still same muscles....Like squats with weights,and leg press...then back again type thing so you end up doing the machine twice until I work up to 3 times each then up the weight...I hate lunges with weights,but it works too forward and then reverse Lunges....I'm kinda random and get off topic just wanted to share that though
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Up until I was sick last week and didn't run for three days I had run everyday for about three months with no problems. I've been running for years while I used to give myself one day off a week for the last year I haven't been doing that. Honestly I love to eat so if I don't run everyday then no dessert for me (kind of defeats the purpose though :). As long as you feel good and aren't hurting then I don't see a problem with it.
  • albayin
    Options
    I am not trying to discourage the OP but 2 monthes or 3 is really too soon to judge...:) but again every body is different and has different threshold.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Your body, I believe, only has a certain 'recovery' capacity and often the recovery is more important than the lifting.
    However, if you're using machines, you're probably taxing your body less than doing compound moves that work a lot of muscles at once, so it may need less recovery time.
    I'd love to workout every other day, but I'm already stalling on the squat and have been cutting down what I'm doing and increasing calories in.

What sort of machines, how many reps and do you aim to be at failure on your last rep of that machine?
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live Msjazzie, but if you lived here I would be right there with you!!! :bigsmile: I have worked out everyday since October of this year. I joined challenges on MFP and some required some type of movement everyday. Now, it has become habit for me.i have a treadmill at home, so that if I can't get to the gym....it's a treadmill day!! LOVE ZUMBA!! Three days a week I do that at the gym. I also see it as a stress reliever. As a matter of fact, some of by best workouts have been when I was angry with my hubby!! :laugh:

As long as you are listening to your body and making adjustments when needed, I think you are doing GREAT!! :drinker:
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    Albay,

Do you do 5-6 different machines and never do them twice?What my trainer had me do was 2 muscle groups in 2 different ways on each muscle...,but still same muscles....Like squats with weights,and leg press...then back again type thing so you end up doing the machine twice until I work up to 3 times each then up the weight...I hate lunges with weights,but it works too forward and then reverse Lunges....I'm kinda random and get off topic just wanted to share that though

No i don't do it twice but thanks for the idea =) I look up different exercises to do so i can stay going to the gym. I also play basketball and swim but its usually on my cardio days which is Sundays. I start my lunges and squats Jan. 1. I am nervous about them because i heard its hard and they hurt but I am up for the challenge. 30 days of squats and lunges coming soon woohooo!!!
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    Up until I was sick last week and didn't run for three days I had run everyday for about three months with no problems. I've been running for years while I used to give myself one day off a week for the last year I haven't been doing that. Honestly I love to eat so if I don't run everyday then no dessert for me (kind of defeats the purpose though :). As long as you feel good and aren't hurting then I don't see a problem with it.

Thanks. =)