Food Scales

Options
Do u use one? If so what kind & was it expensive? Looking to purchase one & I'm new to this. Thanks!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I got mine from Costco for $15. No not expensive. Very necessary for weight loss to accurately monitor your intake.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just got a digital for $18 bucks at Wal-mart. It measures ounces, kilograms, and grams. I LOVE it!
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    $18 from Walmart that converts to grams and ounces. I got it for Christmas, so I haven't used it much yet, but I've definitely been overeating calories. MFP says a 100 gram small apple is 61 calories (that's off the top of my head), so that's what I've been putting in. I weighed the smallest apple I had this morning and it was 121. Calorie wise, that's not going to make a substantial difference for that one apple, but it all adds up, and with more calorie dense foods, it adds up quickly.
  • lauriemueller9
    Options
    I also have a digital $18.00 from walmart scale. It is a must for me. I use it constantly.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I used one before calorie counting anyway - for baking and a lot of cooking. With calorie counting, it's been invaluable. My digital one cost about £10 (~ US $16).
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've had my analog scale (bottom right, sitting on the cheese) since the 1970s. :-) Still does the trick.
    130218-pantry.jpg
  • StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    I have a digital one that cost me about $15 - the only problem with it is that it has like touch screen style buttons that are not very receptive when I want to use the "tare" function, or change from grams to ozs, etc. So I'd watch for that! I think actual buttons are better.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Love my food scale; also got mine for under $20 and use it for every meal I prepare at home. It's also compact enough to go with me when travelling to weigh portions, snacks, etc. Definitely worth the investment.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A have an ancient Cuisine International analog scale. Easy to tare, nothing to break. Though very tempted to get the digital since under $20. If you are serious about portions and calories weigh everything for at least a month. What you think is 1 portion is usually waaaay off!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-BL-1KG-BLK/dp/B0012N1NAA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1388191713&sr=8-9&keywords=food+scale+amazon

With the free trial of Amazon Prime it was less than $9 + free 2 day shipping. I wish it were bigger, but it serves me well. I like that it was pre-calibrated for accuracy. I've been using it for everything but liquids and pre-packaged foods and I have been losing weight steadily. I'm very glad that I bought this. For some items I was eating too much and for others, not enough. Now I know for sure. It's worth the small investment!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I got mine from Amazon for 9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGLU1SG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Poster above reminded me that I should have mentioned I too have a free prime trial.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-BL-1KG-BLK/dp/B0012N1NAA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1388191713&sr=8-9&keywords=food+scale+amazon

With the free trial of Amazon Prime it was less than $9 + free 2 day shipping. I wish it were bigger, but it serves me well. I like that it was pre-calibrated for accuracy. I've been using it for everything but liquids and pre-packaged foods and I have been losing weight steadily. I'm very glad that I bought this. For some items I was eating too much and for others, not enough. Now I know for sure. It's worth the small investment!

I see great and frugal minds think alike. :smile:
  • rbarzat
    rbarzat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a digital food scale for $18 - it got a lot of good reviews. I'm hoping I get a food scale for my Birthday in January (isn't it funny how your wants change when you're turning healthy?) so I'm glad to have come across your post! :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I got mine on clearance at Amazon for less than $5. It took FOREVER to get here (it came from overseas) but totally worth it. It's a little on the small side, but a terrific starter scale. Now that I've had it a year, I'm ready to upgrade to a fancier scale.

http://www.amazon.com/White-0-04oz-Digital-Kitchen-Compact/dp/B0096YDPNA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1388192121&sr=8-12&keywords=food+scale
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Starfrit digital, $12 from Canadian Tire and Taylor digital pocket size, $10 from Wal-mart
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I got my digital one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I love it!!! Really opened my eyes as to what I thought was the serving size and the actual serving size....damn peanut butter lol
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I got my digital one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I love it!!! Really opened my eyes as to what I thought was the serving size and the actual serving size....damn peanut butter lol

HAHA! Yes! This is the main food I was eating so much more of. I ate level Tbsp and somehow they always weighed a different amount.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    use mine everyday. worth every penny