Zumba

Options
I read somewhere that 60 min of Zumba burns anywhere from 600-1000 calories. Is this true? I mean I know its hard to get a specific number because of different moves, intensity, etc, but just wondering if its safe to say that an hour of Zumba burns approx 800 calories?

Replies

• mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your energy level and what the instructor is doing. I have a heart rate monitor and go full out when doing Zumba and burn 340 calories in 55 minutes. This includes warm-up and clool down.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I count 650 because the info I found states 500-700 so I just took the middle. Sometimes I probably burn more and sometimes maybe I burn less, so I just tried to stay in the middle.
  • Kristy1214
    Options
    I take Zumba, I don't have a HRM but my friend does... she and I are no where close in shape and size, but she burns about 350 at class. she's about 5'10 and weighs about oh i dunno, she's got like 30 pounds left to lose and is in her mid 40's. I don't think it burns as much as 800, but I log mine in under the dance areobics section and put it in as 400 calories burned...
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your body weight.
  • jinnierivera
    Options
    I do aqua zumba and it's about 340 calories burned. I have only been counting calories about one week and only lost about 1 to 2 pounds. Is that about right. It looks like you girls are really losing it fast. Any suggestions?
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    When I started working out about a year ago, I weighed 260 and would burn around 1000 cals in an hour in zumba. Now I'm 215 and I burn anywhere from 700-900 cals (depending on the instructor and intensity). The rule applies that it takes more calories to move more weight so the heavier you are, the more calories you burn doing the same action as a skinnier person.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Additional note: this website whatscookingamerica.net/information/calorieburnchart.htm shows this: intense aerobic dance burns .061 cal per pound per minute. Take that .061 times your weight equals how many calories you burn per minute. Example: .061 x 207 lb=12.627 calories burned per minute x 60 minutes=757.62 calories burned. Of course this still isn't 100% accurate - if you're looking for 100% accuracy get a body bugg or something like that. Good luck.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    when i first took zumba i burned in the upper 700's in 60 minutes (according to my HRM). Now that i'm getting in slightly better shape it's low 700's. I think it really depends on your heart rate level during the hour. Since i was in HORRIBLE shape with my first class i would say that 800 calories is on the high end of estimates.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm around 193 pounds and when I go full out I burn about 500 calories in 55 minutes of Zumba.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba out the other night for the first time and burned 800 something calories according to my HRM. I currently weigh around 188 lbs
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I weigh 115 pounds and this morning I did a 20 minute Zumba work out. Burned 260 calories. When I do an hour I'm usually pretty close to 800 calories burned! I wear a HRM. :o)
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How does a HRM tell you how many cals you have burned? I am clueless on that...lol!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba for over a year, I too used the dance calculator and an hour for me it says is about 600 calories..I log in 400 when I go....the way I figure, if it is more, than yahooo and there is some extra calories burned that I don't know about as I usually always eat my exercise calories...
  • JoJoSouthgate
    Options
    Hiya

This seems to be a good measure of your calories burnt during a Zumba class/workout. I've been using it for just over a week now, Im quite happy with what it gives me - up to you if you want to you, just thought I'd share it =)

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • maryzw
    Options
    Go to http://www.zumbacalories.com. It will calculate your calorie based on your weight, duration and intensity. It is a guesstimate! Closest I could find.:smile:
  • shoover10
    Options
    I zumba-ed for the first time this week and my hrm reported a 738 calorie burn.

HRMs base calorie burn on intensity (measured by heart rate) with regard to age and weight. Not the gospel on how many you actually burned, but pretty darn close!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info~ i dont like wearing the hrm i bought as i hurts my wrist so just trying to figure on my own
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    How does a HRM tell you how many cals you have burned? I am clueless on that...lol!

No worries. A HRM, preferrably with a chest strap for increased accuracy, uses complex alogirithms to determine how many calories you burn. It uses your sex, age, weight, and of course, your heart rate, to determine calories burned. Although it's still not dead-on accurate, it is quite close.

As an avid HRM user, I HIGHLY recommend getting one. Mine motivates me to no end.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info~ i dont like wearing the hrm i bought as i hurts my wrist so just trying to figure on my own

HRM's with chest straps are considered much more accurate...and I guess comfortable?