Need some help sticking with the plan

Options
Joined last New year but only managed sticking to plan for about 3 weeks - be happy to hear from anyone with similar levels of self discipline who wants to have a real crack at it in 2014! I am 42 yrs old and plan to lose around 30 kg v slowly.

Replies

• cazz5
    cazz5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • k98speedy
    Options
    Hello,

Time and patience will get you there!!!!!! Oh yeah and thing called inner discipline and motivation. :) please feel free to add me.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    What works for me is joining groups and challenges. It holds me accountable to others. Albeit, they aren't physically looking over my shoulder, I still feel like they are!! :drinker:

Be honest with yourself. Find out WHYyou want to do this. Post a picture of that "why" EVERYWHERE!! When you start feeling Ike you HAVE to eat that second cookie....remember your "why". :love:

Plan,Plan,Plan....if your wife does most of the cooking, have her log the recipes for you. Homemade dishes can surprise you!!! Woo!!! :noway: Try to workout/move EVERYDAY!!! Yes, I said EVERYDAY!! It doesn't have to be a 1000 calorie burn, but something! Take your wife for a walk after dinner. Anything to keep you moving daily.

Log,Log,Log....every BLT (Bite, Lick, Taste). :bigsmile:

Good luck with this journey you are on for YOU!!! You came to the right place!! :drinker:
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well, what is the "plan"?

Keeping sight of the goal helps, yes. Interim goals help (partner decided we'd go to Hawaii when he lost 10 pounds). Doing it with friends also helps (partner and I will take turns pushing each other to get out of bed in the morning to get out and run). Set up a routine, and determine what works for you. Do you get bored with exercise? What activities can you do and have FUN with? (I get so bored lifting weights, but rock climbing is great exercise and more fun!) Once you can set up a routine, especially if it involves others, it's easier to stick to because you don't question it.

If you can have a designated area for your exercise, or a designated song list, something associated with the activities, that can help inspire when struggling. There are some songs that even years later, when I hear them, I have the impulse to get down and start doing crunches!

If the problem is even remembering to log your calories..make friends on here! Accountability for logging can help. Inspire each other! Once that's in place...I could negotiate with myself and get out to run in the morning because I wanted to splurge on froyo later in the day. haha.
  • nancy_1968
    Options
    No tricks needed. I'm going with trying to be as honest with myself as I can be. If I choose to eat it I will track it even if it means I go over by 100's lol

I'm 45, working full time, married with two kids. It's not easy but it's do-able! Last time I did this I didn't reach out to the community and didn't add any friends but this time I'm definitely reaching. I know I'm not doing this alone so any help from anyone is always welcome.

Good Luck !!!!
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned challenges, and I'll support that suggestion as well. I got into a "30 day squat challenge" a friend started with a secret Facebook group. This was at a time my routine was changing and it was easy to lose sight of things altogether, but I could easily talk myself into doing "just 5 minutes" of a single activity, knowing I only had to keep it up for 30 days! It gave me a countdown beyond the scale. And it was small so there was little excuse to not do it, even if I was squeezing it in right before bed some days. Getting into the habit of doing something daily (ideally in the mornings when you can add onto it if you want to) helps!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I show my patients the MFP website all the time. This lets me log my water and snacks while technically not goofing off on the computer at work. This keeps me logging and logging keeps me motivated.
  • nancy_1968
    Options
    I like the idea of challenges as well. My daughter did the 30 day squat challenge so maybe I will see if she is willing to do it with me for January 1st !!