Two Gym Memberships, Overkill?

Options
I have a membership at my local gym, Fit For Life ... but recently got a flyer that a Planet Fitness will be opening next month - both are very close to my home. Guess my gym caught wind of Planet Fitness coming to town since they dropped basic membership from $19.99/mo to $10/mo. The present $19.99 membership has tanning services etc (which I don't need since I'm Black :laugh: )

I don't see Planet Fitness as a replacement option, I don't plan to jump ship. Planet Fitness won't have the extensive weight selection and strength training options but on the other hand, Planet Fitness will have loads of cardio machines, 30 minute workout circuits, be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was comfortable paying $20/mo and now, I can still pay $20/mo and have 2 memberships. One is better for cardio, the other better for strength training. Do I just take the savings and keep one membership or do I say thank goodness for competition since its making the memberships dirt cheap and have 2 memberships for the previous cost of one?

I remember back in the day when I was paying like $70/mo for New York Sports Club - now, there are $20 gyms all over Manhattan (Blink Fitness, Boom Fitness, Synergy etc).

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    Will you actually use both gym memberships?

Also, are you saying that your current gym doesn't have cardio or not a large selection?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if something is a waste of money for you.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is kind of a strange question. I mean, if it makes sense for you, why not? Done deal
  • SarabearMcD
    SarabearMcD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Gold's Gym membership and also attend regular classes at a yoga studio (even though Gold's offers yoga and Body Flow) and I don't consider it to be a waste of money since I feel like I get different benefits out of each.

Do what makes you happy!!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Two?

You don't really need one!
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Will you actually use both gym memberships?

Also, are you saying that your current gym doesn't have cardio or not a large selection?

The selection of cardio machines isn't as extensive - which makes going to the gym during the evening afterwork rush pretty bothersome.
  • randrews0407
    Options
    Two?

You don't really need one!

Sure, I can workout at home or outdoors - but I like variety :blushing:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at my local gym, Fit For Life ... but recently got a flyer that a Planet Fitness will be opening next month - both are very close to my home. Guess my gym caught wind of Planet Fitness coming to town since they dropped basic membership from $19.99/mo to $10/mo. The present $19.99 membership has tanning services etc (which I don't need since I'm Black :laugh: )

I don't see Planet Fitness as a replacement option, I don't plan to jump ship. Planet Fitness won't have the extensive weight selection and strength training options but on the other hand, Planet Fitness will have loads of cardio machines, 30 minute workout circuits, be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was comfortable paying $20/mo and now, I can still pay $20/mo and have 2 memberships. One is better for cardio, the other better for strength training. Do I just take the savings and keep one membership or do I say thank goodness for competition since its making the memberships dirt cheap and have 2 memberships for the previous cost of one?

I remember back in the day when I was paying like $70/mo for New York Sports Club - now, there are $20 gyms all over Manhattan (Blink Fitness, Boom Fitness, Synergy etc).

I would look at what both have to offer, if you could get 100% of everything from both, then I would sign up with both for the $20.00 you are paying now. In essence, you are not really losing anything, but maximizing what you get for your $20.00.

Ask yourself this, are you going to really save that spare $10, I doubt it. If you really see yourself using both gyms, sign up and move forward. Good luck.
  • randrews0407
    Options
    Yeah this is kind of a strange question. I mean, if it makes sense for you, why not? Done deal

^^^ THIS.

I'll give it a world - both are no-committment, so if I determine at a later date I'm not utilizing as much to justify both ... I'll cancel.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS.

I'll give it a world - both are no-committment, so if I determine at a later date I'm not utilizing as much to justify both ... I'll cancel.

Good for you! :cauliflowerforyou:
  • randrews0407
    Options
    I would look at what both have to offer, if you could get 100% of everything from both, then I would sign up with both for the $20.00 you are paying now. In essence, you are not really losing anything, but maximizing what you get for your $20.00.

Ask yourself this, are you going to really save that spare $10, I doubt it. If you really see yourself using both gyms, sign up and move forward. Good luck.

Great summary, pretty much sums up what I was thinking ... thanks.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I have two gym memberships - one to a large gym with all the amenities in my neighborhood ($125 per month for a family of 4) and the other for a very small gym in my office building ($15 per month). Not overkill for me, I use them both.

Do what works for you.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    same here..
    I have 2 memberships...1 is for my main gym where I go for my fun and intensive "proper" workouts...and 1 cheap one near my office - so that I can go for a cardio session (treadmill and rower) if I happen to be chained to the desk all day long :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have two memberships. They make no financial sense, but I waste money on so much stupid crap that I tend to give health related items a free pass. When I need to make cuts, I won't start with the gym, either. YEAH, I'm looking at you, cable!!!
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have two memberships. I go to the gym that is offered through my work which is 15.00 per month. Free personal training, free nutrition advice. Only downside is its only open until 7 Monday through Friday. On my off days (from work) or after I get off of work (at 10pm) I go to Cal Fit. I think its worth it as long as you use them both.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have two memberships. They make no financial sense, but I waste money on so much stupid crap that I tend to give health related items a free pass. When I need to make cuts, I won't start with the gym, either. YEAH, I'm looking at you, cable!!!

Oh, shoot. I actually go to four gyms total on a semi regular basis. I pay $10 per visit in an Atlanta area gym and $35 for a 7-day pass at a Ymca in Florida. Basically I just look for whomever has Les Mills classes and throw my money at them. Boy do I hope to get smarter someday!