Walking a form of cardio?

Options
This week I've doing a lot of walking. I've walked for 50 minutes at least 4 times this week. I was wondering if walking is considered working out I guess. I noticed I was extremely sore in my legs, butt, and a little in my stomach after walking this week. I took that as a good sign. Along with my walking I've been drinking plenty of water and counting my calories.

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    You won't be burning a lot of calories, but any extra activity is a good thing. :drinker:
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good thing, a very good thing. If you can squeeze the time to actually measure how far you can walk, you can up the tempo to increase the distance. The idea is to get yourself into a rhythm where you walk between 4 and 5 miles an hour. If you log that, MFP will help you create a calorie deficit that will push your weight loss along --if that is what you are after-- or get you ready to build your fitness in other ways. Good going! Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great form of exercise, especially in the beginning.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Fast-paced walking can definitely be a workout! For someone who's out of shape and just starting to get healthier, walking is a great form of exercise!
  • Matt24442
    Options
    There's other things you can that will be faster and more efficient...like sleeping...

but if you're burning cals, might as well log it
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Throw on some ankle weights and pick up the pace. If it's in your fitness level, yeah it is and as you build muscle your body will want to do more. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You won't be burning a lot of calories, but any extra activity is a good thing. :drinker:

What? Please.... walking is ONE of the best exercises out there. The amount you burn will depend on how fast you walk and how much you weight. When I was over 300 I burned a crap load of calories, but when I walk at my weight now I don't burn as much and would have to walk faster/longer to burn the same amount of calories.
    It may not be the best for certain things, but it really is a good way to burn calories. Continue walking, you'll like yourself for it
  • Matt24442
    Options
    For someone who's out of shape and just starting to get healthier, walking is a great form of exercise!

Shots fired!!
    aZJksxG.jpg
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I count walking as exercise! I took an hour long walk today and burned 330 calories according to my heart rate monitor. Doing that everyday can really add up!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There's other things you can that will be faster and more efficient...like sleeping...

LOLwut?

:huh:
  • cevalid
    Options
    I started off walking and built up from there. If you are large and sedentary it's a workout, but as soon as it gets easy it's best to step it up.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I was just talking to someone about this. If you're 85, a walk might be a workout. It's all relative. For generally healthy people, walking is light activity, not working out.
    I disagree with this. Sure it's not an intense workout, but it's definitely something and if you keep a fast pace you can burn a decent amount of calories too.
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options

What? Please.... walking is ONE of the best exercises out there. The amount you burn will depend on how fast you walk and how much you weight. When I was over 300 I burned a crap load of calories, but when I walk at my weight now I don't burn as much and would have to walk faster/longer to burn the same amount of calories.
    It may not be the best for certain things, but it really is a good way to burn calories. Continue walking, you'll like yourself for it

I agree! I started at over 400 pounds and walking was about the only thing I COULD do!

And yes.. it burns calories and is an excellent form of cardio! Just keep the pace fast and try to always go longer and faster! Never settle! Always try to get better!!
    Best of wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I just wanted to add (after reading everyone else's comments about walking being "good for a beginner" or whatever) that I am 2 years into this, can go 2 hours on the elliptical at a high intensity level, have lost 65 pounds, and still consider walking as exercise. No, it's not very intense, but it's relaxing and something that I actually enjoy, and like I've already said, it burns a decent amount of calories.

If you like walking, keep doing it. It will only benefit you!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd FR denied.

OP! Get your walk on. Cardio is "cardiovascular" exercise. If you're sitting, you are not getting cardiovascular exercise. If you're up and moving, including going for a walk, you are. The more you do, the longer and faster you'll be able to go, and your cardiovascular fitness will improve.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This week I've doing a lot of walking. I've walked for 50 minutes at least 4 times this week. I was wondering if walking is considered working out I guess. I noticed I was extremely sore in my legs, butt, and a little in my stomach after walking this week. I took that as a good sign. Along with my walking I've been drinking plenty of water and counting my calories.

MFP thinks it's a workout as you will see if you input the word "walking" in the exercise database. You will find a ton of walking cal burn estimates based on the different speeds you might be going. There are even incline data and downhill data. Just in case you are going like hiking up and down hills during your walking workouts.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd FR denied.

OP! Get your walk on. Cardio is "cardiovascular" exercise. If you're sitting, you are not getting cardiovascular exercise. If you're up and moving, including going for a walk, you are. The more you do, the longer and faster you'll be able to go, and your cardiovascular fitness will improve.

And you may work up to trying a couch to 5k program like I got brave enough/fit enough to do. It's all relative. Start where you are and log your cals.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. I book most of it. Go at a pace and you improve your fitness. I started out walking, then walking as fast as I can. I then progressed to running a bit as well and I would not have been able to start running without the walking bit first. I bet I now burn well over a 1000 calories per week walking about :-)