What (Realistically) would be my ideal weight?

Options
Im a guy, 40 years old, and 178cm, I was 121kg in May 2013, now I've just hit 85kg, MFP says my ideal weight is below 79kg, which seems a bit far fetched, I've really got no goal weight set, but I lost a lot more than expected, and everyone i know is telling me I've lost to much and must stop.

Replies

• kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    calculate your BMI here .... http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

if you are within the normal range, then you are all good!
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    what is 94 kg, before i can understand the question i need to understand the kg into lbs
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    85KG = 187 POUNDS

My BMI is 26.8 which is in the overweight range (Overweight = 25–29.9 )

Never understood BMI much, but guessing I still need to lose a lose more, so that would go down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    what is 94 kg, before i can understand the question i need to understand the kg into lbs
    google
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    okay maybe you should tightened up or walk more, i would not reduce calories. it also it depends how many muscles you have.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Obviously it depends on your build etc. but maybe shoot for 75k-80kg and see how you feel and look??
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    Okay thanks, I have to keep losing as my secret, anybody I know would freak out if I told them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Okay thanks, I have to keep losing as my secret, anybody I know would freak out if I told them.
    Just fuel your body and drink plenty of water. Do it in a healthy way. Best of luck!
    http://www.freebmicalculator.net/bmi-chart-metric.php

FWIW: I'm almost 50, and female, and I'm eating more than you... please be sure to eat all the calories MFP allows you. Don't eat too little! You have to fuel your body!
  • ceestahr
    Options
    I think that goals honestly shouldn't be weight related... have you had your body measurements taken? It's hard to trust the BMI because it isn't always very accurate. My goals, for instance, is to get to 18-20% body fat. That may very well have me at my current weight, but I will be smaller because I'll have more muscle :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You sure are doing great. I think you're about the same height as my husband. He's been lifting extremely heavy weights though for the last few years, so he's leaner but heavier than you. The BMI is not a very good measure for the very muscular or the very un-muscled. Body fat percentage is a far better measure, but you have to take the accuracy of such a measure into account. Tape measure, calipers and bio-electrical impedance scales are not as reliable as a DEXA or BodPod scan.

At your height, I think a reasonable weight would be in the range of about 70-95 kg. I know that's a wide range, but that's when body composition comes into play.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Personal decision is personal
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Personal decision is personal

^^ This

BMIs are approximations based on many many people. Get a 1000 people together and the ideal BMI average for the group would be the one given, there will be a few outliers where the BMI figure is plain wrong and others where it is not ideal. At the end of the day we are all different though so it does come down to what you are happy with when you assess yourself (in whatever way you chose).
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    Thanks the advices I needed! I just worked out how to adjust my ticker from 70kg up to 75kg, I get to 75kg first, then I'll see how I feel, and ill try getting leaner but heavier, as im extremely happy atm with 85kg, if I got for 75kg, then Ill get a nice 10kgs to play around and experiment with :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    ill try getting leaner but heavier
    What's your plan for doing that? If you fail to plan, plan to fail.:laugh:
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    about your friends thinking you have already lost too much, just remember that they are all used to your bigger self for a very long time, so they don't know what healthy looks like any more than you do. Even if you have never had an eating disorder, old images and self-perception take longer to adjust then the kgs coming off. Get to where you are satisfied with yourself and after maybe a year, people around you will get used to what the new you looks like and you shouldn't get the negative, concerning feedback as their mental image will adjust to the new you instead of the old you. Just be patient and confident that your efforts are right for you.