tips for sugar cravings?

Options
Im a sugarholic and its showing on the scale.
any advice is appreciated!
What do you eat when your having a craving?

Replies

• Barbella_93
    Options
    Fruit are natures skittles :) I love having a pink lady apple with melted peanut butter and some raisins on top!
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I was recently told by my midwife that sometimes we crave sugar when we actually need protein! Try having a handful of unsalted, raw almonds instead!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I was recently told by my midwife that sometimes we crave sugar when we actually need protein! Try having a handful of unsalted, raw almonds instead!

Almonds are a great source of fats, not protein.
  • wheird
    Options
    I would recommend including a sugary treat into your diet each day. Pre-planning helps a lot.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Eating sugary foods begets new sugar cravings.

If you eat something sugary, your blood sugar spikes and your body overcompensates so that a few hours later your blood glucose is actually too low. After all, we were designed to deal with fruit, not mars bars. Then low blood sugar causes renewed sugar cravings.

If you want to have sweets, try to have them late in the day so you are less bothered by the blood glucose yo-yo that eating sweets causes.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein would be my suggestion.

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, eggs, etc.
  • HakkaFist
    HakkaFist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could try breaking a L-Glutamine capsule and putting the contents under your tongue. That is a trick from the book "The Diet Cure".
  • wheird
    Options
    Eating sugary foods begets new sugar cravings.

If you eat something sugary, your blood sugar spikes and your body overcompensates so that a few hours later your blood glucose is actually too low. After all, we were designed to deal with fruit, not mars bars. Then low blood sugar causes renewed sugar cravings.

If you want to have sweets, try to have them late in the day so you are less bothered by the blood glucose yo-yo that eating sweets causes.

If I'm going to have sweets, it is typically at night.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Lemon water helps.. or suck on a lemon... After over lemoning my first lemon chicken I didn't want sweets for 2 weeks.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I allow for a sweet treat in my calories everyday. My newest fave is Nature Valley protein chocolate and peanut butter bar (190 calories 10 grams of protein) or Dole frozen dark chocolate covered bananas (100 calories). I also have a can of diet soda everyday or I'll chew a piece of gum.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    increasing fat intake definitely helped me with any sugar/carb craving.
  • nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I give in, because i know i'll stop at 1 maybe 2..
    if i fight fight fight resist... the craving stays and the 10 things i ate to make sure i dont cave adds up, so in the end i eat the craving anyway.I also chew gum, drink water lots of it, brush my teeth have a low cal hot choc 39 kcals per mug of 330ml. Over the last few months i have really began to beat the crave and also learned to compromise - when i know its persisting i give in and eat it and thats tr end, if i dont then....... binge!
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i often put some grapes in freezer and then at night will suck on them till they melt then eat as normal, sweet but healthy and last bit longer. strawberries sliced up in bowl is another snack i will tuck into when needing that boost.
    weightwatchers also do a fruits of forest yogurt which is only bout 47 cals. for the chocolate need i opt for an options drink which works well for me
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    blueberries help me too.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I suggest a total detox before you try to pull away from sugar. Otherwise, it's just too hard. But some things I do are get a smoothie from Whole Foods. Or So Delicious ice cream. Or I just look in the mirror, step on the scale and say, see!! Orrrrrr I go to bed earlier or I pre-log. All these things make it easier. I was addicted to sugar, but detoxed for 4 months and now I don't obsess over the taste of it.
  • lbvermillion
    lbvermillion Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What do you eat when your having a craving?

I quit trying to feed the cravings and they have gone away. I don't do sweets, sugar or even artificial sweeteners anymore. Be strong and turn to something that is either completely friendly to your diet or do an activity to distract yourself. It took some time and I cut out one thing at a time, but now I am down to no added sweeteners. The first thing to go was sweetened sodas, regular and diet. I replaced soda with fresh brewed teas, seltzers and club soda. Even my chocolate is 99%+ cocoa now and I still love it.

Edit: It took time and effort, but it was totally worth it. When a craving occurs to you, think to yourself that can't be right. Tell yourself you don't eat those things anymore. Don't is an important word! It is not that you can't eat those things, you just don't!