Dartboard
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I dont have one
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    What was your process for deciding where to set your goal weight? What if you get there and don't feel "done"? What if you feel satisfied before you get there? How firm are you with the number you chose?

I had an ED in high school and got down to 115. That is way to small for me. I have a medium bone frame with slightly broad shoulders. I kind of kept that in mind and took a shot in the dark at 135.

If I get there and I don't feel that it's what I want, I will keep losing.

I almost expect to feel satisfied before I reach that goal. I'm guessing I'll actually be happy with 140... but I really don't know. It's so varied based on LBM and body shape. I have big boobs and a booty so I can look good at a higher weight.

I am not at all firm on my number. If I'm happy at a higher weight, I'll switch to maintenance. If I want a lower weight, I'll keep on going. I would like to be a size 5/6. If I reach that at 150, I'll stay at 150. The number on the scale is a lot less important to me than a healthy appearance.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Mine is within my "healthy" range for my height. I also wanted to lose over half of my starting weight just as a personal "ha. I'm half the size I used to be," which I think is pretty cool. Once I hit that, I may find that a little higher or a little lower is good. (My goal is 150# and I'm 5'9)
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been very fit before. I know when I felt and looked good. I know when I was too small and got comments about my bones and how that felt. If I get to the weight I have my mind set on and I don't feel done, I'll continue lifting and training. If I'm happy with my bf% and my strength before a mythical magical number appears on the scale, perfect. Strength, functionality, and fitness matter more to me than what the digits say. When I was at my most fit, I felt and looked my best and was theoretically overweight. But when you're 5'2" and jacked, overweight is easy- even at a size 4.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I figured it was attainable and 50 pound loss seemed a good place to start.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I looked at the healthy range on the BMI chart and it was 100 to 120 less than my starting weight. One of my precious posessions is a string of mala prayer beads made out of lapis... it has 108 beads. So I chose 108 lbs to lose as my target. I move a ribbon around the prayer beads and tie it to show my changes. It adds a nice visual reminder that is not related directly to the scale. It lets me look overall at when I was "just starting" "almost half way" "past the halfway mark" and now "about three quarters to goal". Its a beautiful set of prayer beads, and will be an ongoing reminder.
  • trebin
    trebin Posts: 12
    Options
    I actually just pictured what I wanted to look like and started losing. WE had a 12 week contest at my gym that really pushed me.
  • KaosLynnRose
    KaosLynnRose Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    my goal weight was simple ...it was before i had my kids lol n im almost there
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I ever really picked a goal weight. I guess in the back of my mind I knew where I thought I should be but that isn't the way everything worked out. I run and have a lot of muscle so my weight doesn't always match the size of clothing I wear. I've had people tell me there is no way I can wear a 0 and weigh 132 pounds but the fact of the matter is you can :smile: If you go by the weight to height ratio I am still considered overweight as my idea falls between 110-125; if I weighed that much I would look like a stick. So while a number in the back of your head is good don't get tied to it because you might be surprised where you end up :wink:
  • OhHaiStranger
    Options
    I also picked my weight on the high end of the healthy section of the BMI scale for my height. I'll probably reassess when I get there. Last time I was in a healthy BMI range it was all through diet so my body was still kind of 'meh'. Now I'm exercising daily and that weight might actually fit me better because muscles! :)
  • Bostulla
    Bostulla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight at which I remember feeling comfortable. Meaning- my clothes were not too tight, I felt ok wearing shorts and exercising in public.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing collection of vintage lingerie, cocktail dresses and evening gowns, seriously...a whole closet full. Some were my mom's and/or grandmother's...some I've picked up at estate sales, some have been gifted to me. I also have bins of outdoor activity clothes, camping/hiking, skiing, etc. When I can fit into all my really COOL clothes again, I'll be done!

Mom's old lingerie? Awkward.
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I am 6'0 tall, so a healthy weight range for me is 140 to 180. I'm only about 25 pounds into this journey, but I don't plan on picking an ultimate goal weight. Right now the goal will be to get under 200 and then probably under 180, but once I get close it will be more about how my body looks and feels rather than a weight number. I don't want to be skinny; I want to be healthy and strong.
  • danapenguin
    Options
    I used the Ideal Body Weight equation we learned in class. If I reach my goal but still feel like I want to move on, I will just focus on stronger and eating healthy. If I feel okay before my goal, I will stop since muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not too set on my number, I want to trim down my pear frame and be healthy. I want to beat my genetics! lol
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What is this ''goal weight" you speak of.. lol. I don't really have one. I know I can get to 75kg.. cause I did 13 yrs ago. I am only 6kg away from that now but I havn't thought about an ultimate goal. Having never been a healthy weight my entire adult life I have no idea of what I am looking for yet. But she has muscles and is under 75kg.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just guesstimated that with my size and frame, I should hover around 200 pounds. Once I hit that target I go to a doctor or trainer to take specific tests to measure my fat % to see how much I should lose...*if* I'm not happy when I hit 200 pounds.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For me, metabolism and food.

I don't want to schedule my life around 6 meals/day or chicken breasts and protein shakes.

I enjoy eating fatty/carby/protein high food, all three. I want to get to a weight where I have enough of a high metabolism to not get 'fat' from eating the foods I enjoy.

This would be about 3k - 3500kcal calories/day with moderate exercise.

This is about 200 lbs for me given my height of 6 feet. I would also have to pack on quite a bit of muscle/strength.

So that's my goal so that I can shed fat for the summer if I want, and / or maintain that level otherwise without restricting too much what I can eat.

It's one thing to eat chicken breast , veggies and brown rice for 2-3 months , even half a year. It's not a 'lifestyle' if you go to a restaurant and can't eat what you want because you will pass your macros and calories for the day. Kudos to those people who can eat clean and lift for years if not decades.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My goal weight of a 300lb+ deadlift.... I picked this after looking at what elite women powerlifters of my weight can achieve, plus factoring in that I have really good genetics for picking up heavy stuff, i.e. short, large frame, naturally muscular and probably more than my fair share of neanderthal genes.

I'm not sure of what my goal weight is for squats, seeing as my deadlift is a lot better than my squat. So I don't have an actual goal weight for squats. When I can deadlift 300+lb then I'll see where I'm at with squats and base a goal on that.

For bench, my goal is to bench more than my bodyweight. I think this is a reasonable goal weight for a woman. How much more... well I'll see when I get there. Currently my lower body lifts are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than my upper body ones.

For OHP........ well my OHP is pants. Triple figures would be lovely (but that seems like it's on a faraway cloud in rainbow unicorn land currently). And improvements in my shoulder mobility to actually get the form right on that one.

So anyway, those are my long term goal weights.... if I don't get there, well at least I'll have tried. If I do, I'll probably set even higher goals and work towards those.