Sugar withdrawal

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh, woe is me! I'm afraid of sugar, so I'll kill my liver instead.
    That's some serious hyperbole you got going there.:happy:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I believe it is an individual thing. lucky you if your body make up and neurochemistry can handle sugar. Mine cannot. Moderation doesn't happen in my case and eating sugar (as in table sugar, maple syrup, honey, etc) really does a number on me.

I do feel better without it. It's interesting how we all react differently to the same product and how moderation is just not possible in some cases.

There are enough scientific research on addictive properties of added sugars that impact some people. There is also no research to prove the necessity of added sugars to healthy diet.
    There really ISN'T any actual research showing any addictive properties of sugar. There's research that's been bastardized by the anti-sugar crowd to claim that sugar is addictive, but the actual research debunks that "theory."
  • tigersword
    Options
    No intention to cut natural sugar or carbs at all! Only the added stuff as HFCS, sugar, aspartame, dextrose, maltose and other added stuff I don't know the meaning of.

Fruit, wholegrains, legumes cause me no harm and I have no intent to cut them. I had fruit today as I do every day - I won't be low carbing
    All those things you listed are found in "natural" sources. Your entire premise is flawed. Maltose is simply 2 glucose molecules bonded together, and occurs naturally in most vegetables and grains. Dextrose is just another word for glucose. HFCS, quite honestly, is just glucose and fructose blended together in a specific ratio. Aspartame isn't even sugar, it's protein, and you can get both ingredients that make it up in most fruits, vegetables, and all meats.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Oh, woe is me! I'm afraid of sugar, so I'll kill my liver instead.
    That's some serious hyperbole you got going there.:happy:
    Seconded.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I believe it is an individual thing. lucky you if your body make up and neurochemistry can handle sugar. Mine cannot. Moderation doesn't happen in my case and eating sugar (as in table sugar, maple syrup, honey, etc) really does a number on me.

I do feel better without it. It's interesting how we all react differently to the same product and how moderation is just not possible in some cases.

There are enough scientific research on addictive properties of added sugars that impact some people. There is also no research to prove the necessity of added sugars to healthy diet.
    There really ISN'T any actual research showing any addictive properties of sugar. There's research that's been bastardized by the anti-sugar crowd to claim that sugar is addictive, but the actual research debunks that "theory."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/
  • DenialTwister
    Options
    No intention to cut natural sugar or carbs at all! Only the added stuff as HFCS, sugar, aspartame, dextrose, maltose and other added stuff I don't know the meaning of.

Your headaches sound like withdrawal symptoms. A few years ago I gave up Aspartame and the withdrawal symptoms lasted a couple of weeks. I turned to regular soda and recently I was able to break that addiction. The headaches for the regular soda only lasted a couple of days, caffeine played a role as well. I found that a cup of black tea with half a stick of cinnamon in it and a teaspoon of honey stopped my sugar cravings. I also gave up HCFCs at the same time. Within a week the physical cravings had gone and I was left with the psychological ones.

6 weeks on and I feel pretty good. Life without Aspartame, sugars and HCFCs is much better than with them. This is what works for me, if you are happy believing that Aspartame is safe, as are HCFCs as is processed sugar as long as you take them in moderation, then great for you.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My headache is long gone, I don't really understand what is this discussion now about.

I lost interest in participating in it. That's me out! Enjoy
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    I am not quite sure what you want to be honest. You started this topic even though you already knew that you want to go cold turkey. Like.. you don't want any advice or another way to cut it out so please explain to me why you started this topic.
  • HappyGrape
    Options

Your headaches sound like withdrawal symptoms. A few years ago I gave up Aspartame and the withdrawal symptoms lasted a couple of weeks. I turned to regular soda and recently I was able to break that addiction. The headaches for the regular soda only lasted a couple of days, caffeine played a role as well. I found that a cup of black tea with half a stick of cinnamon in it and a teaspoon of honey stopped my sugar cravings. I also gave up HCFCs at the same time. Within a week the physical cravings had gone and I was left with the psychological ones.

6 weeks on and I feel pretty good. Life without Aspartame, sugars and HCFCs is much better than with them. This is what works for me, if you are happy believing that Aspartame is safe, as are HCFCs as is processed sugar as long as you take them in moderation, then great for you.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me and well done!
  • cheryhol
    cheryhol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HappyGrape,
    I took a class here at my job, and they told us to drink H2 Orange all day long as much as you want and it will level out your blood sugar and keep you energized.

Mix 4 oz non concentrated orange juice (like Tropicana) to 32 oz water. You can mix a little crystal light drink mix to it to give it some taste. It really works. This was given to us by our instructor who is a Nurse Practioner.
  • DenialTwister
    Options

HFCS, quite honestly, is just glucose and fructose blended together in a specific ratio. Aspartame isn't even sugar, it's protein, and you can get both ingredients that make it up in most fruits, vegetables, and all meats.

Yes...HFCS are "just" glucose and fructose blended together in a "specific" ratio. Couple of questions for you then. How are glucose and fructose metabolized in the body? How much fructose can your body metabolize in a day? What happens to all the extra fructose it can not metabolize? Where does it go to? How much fructose do you get from a can of soda? How does that amount of fructose compare to the amount of fructose your body can absorb?

Fruit provides you with the fibre to get rid of the extra fructose. When you get the individual ingredient you are discarding all the fibre.

Back to American Gladiators now...
  • tigersword
    Options

HFCS, quite honestly, is just glucose and fructose blended together in a specific ratio. Aspartame isn't even sugar, it's protein, and you can get both ingredients that make it up in most fruits, vegetables, and all meats.

Yes...HFCS are "just" glucose and fructose blended together in a "specific" ratio. Couple of questions for you then. How are glucose and fructose metabolized in the body? How much fructose can your body metabolize in a day? What happens to all the extra fructose it can not metabolize? Where does it go to? How much fructose do you get from a can of soda? How does that amount of fructose compare to the amount of fructose your body can absorb?

Fruit provides you with the fibre to get rid of the extra fructose. When you get the individual ingredient you are discarding all the fibre.

Back to American Gladiators now...
    The fiber is irrelevant. Fiber slows down the digestion, it doesn't "get rid of" extra anything. As for your questions, the body can actually digest quite a bit of fructose. Fructose hitches a ride with glucose when the GLUT5 transport system gets saturated. How much fructose you can absorb and utilize at one time depends on how much fructose you eat. The more you eat, the more you can utilize, there's no set amount. And how much fructose do you get from a can of soda? About 12 grams. Not sure the relevance, much less than an apple, if you want to compare. As for "extra fructose it can't metabolize?" If you're in a calorie deficit, there is no extra fructose, it all gets utilized. And if you're in a calorie surplus, well, again, it's not the fructose that's the problem.
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am also weaning off sugar. I did it for a month and allowed myself to cheat over this past week. I found myself with a stomach ache, a headache, achy joints, tired... It's worth it. Take Tylenol for the headache and eat some fruit.

Good luck!!!
  • tigersword
    Options

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/
    Have you read the study? Because it doesn't actually say that at all, like I said, research that has been bastardized by the anti-sugar crowd to scare people by saying something that it doesn't actually say.

It showed that RATS (not even humans) prefer cocaine, morphine, and Oreos, roughly equally. All 3 affect dopamine and seratonin production and release. The truth? Anything that's seen as a positive action that prolongs your survival causes a release of dopamine. It's how your brain conditions you to do things that keep you alive. Sugar causes a release of dopamine because it provides energy for your body and brain to continue functioning, which is a good thing. Cocaine and morphine, on the other hand, co-opt these pathways. It's not that Oreos are having the same reaction in the brain that drugs have, it's that drugs are having the same reaction in the brain that food has. Again, there's no credible research showing that sugar is addicting.
  • HappyGrape
    Options
    Short update

day 4 and I feel soooo much better! Long walks every day - freezing out but nothing like a fresh air to boost my energy. I had few green smoothies for breakfast, better meals, no drinking no sweets and my body feels healthy again! Great yoga session this morning, will feel the burn tomorrow.

Cheers!

WP_20131227_010_zpsv3r2chi6.jpg
  • HappyGrape
    Options
    And how much fructose do you get from a can of soda? About 12 grams. Not sure the relevance, much less than an apple, if you want to compare.

I don't want to compare. Eating apples make me feel better then drinking soda or eating cookies. I haven't met many people that overindulge on fruit (other then me on the odd watermelon during summer heat!). I can eat apple, or 3 and stop and feel happy with it. Eating sweets doesn't satisfy me in same way, it makes me crave more. You can try to prove else as much as you want, to me eating natural foods is better fuel for MY body then HFCS and aspartame or other added sugars. To me it's not the same.

If you however, prefer eating soda then eating fruit - go for it. Knock yourself out! I Whatever floats your boat.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Or you could eat the foods you enjoy, in moderation.

People, why do you insist on making this thing harder than it needs to be?! The odds are already stacked against you, don't add more unnecessary restrictions and rules becasue it only leads to failure. Ok, end rant, must take a break from MFP, it's driving me batty today :ohwell:

Everyone is different. Because some people can moderate sugar doesn't mean everyone can.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am getting myself off added sugars, day 2 and I feel so low. I have been eating poorly for awhile, and badly need to get back on feeling good & eating better.

My head is so sore, I have no energy for anything today! Tell me it's going to get better!

I am tempted to get a painkiller

OP I identify with everything you say. The big problem with sugar is that it affects different people differently. Its difficult (or perhaps impossible) for people who are not sugar sensitive to understand it. Behavior that works for them does not work for those who are sensitive. I think it is great people try and help but for this particular topic I honestly believe, though no fault of their own, their advice will not help and can be damaging. It is great you have been looking at research. There is a solid base of evidence that shows that the phenomena is real and the solution is abstinence :-) Glad you are feeling better and good luck in the future.

PS have you looked at radiant recovery (Website). It is commercial and they will try and sell you stuff but there is a lot of free information as well as on line support groups for people like us.

All the best :-)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    And how much fructose do you get from a can of soda? About 12 grams. Not sure the relevance, much less than an apple, if you want to compare.

I don't want to compare. Eating apples make me feel better then drinking soda or eating cookies. I haven't met many people that overindulge on fruit (other then me on the odd watermelon during summer heat!). I can eat apple, or 3 and stop and feel happy with it. Eating sweets doesn't satisfy me in same way, it makes me crave more. You can try to prove else as much as you want, to me eating natural foods is better fuel for MY body then HFCS and aspartame or other added sugars. To me it's not the same.

If you however, prefer eating soda then eating fruit - go for it. Knock yourself out! I Whatever floats your boat.

Lol how can someone compare a soda with an apple! I'm fairly sure the apple is healthier, and obviously more natural!

I feel better without all those added sugars too. I think in England we have less sugary stuff added to our foods than in the US, luckily. I don't drink diet sodas and avoid aspartame.

I did have a headache the other day though and a cup of coffee sorted that. I'm trying to cut out coffee as I'm pregnant, but I figure a cup of coffee a day is ok. Better than having a headache!
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am getting myself off added sugars, day 2 and I feel so low. I have been eating poorly for awhile, and badly need to get back on feeling good & eating better.

My head is so sore, I have no energy for anything today! Tell me it's going to get better!

I am tempted to get a painkiller

Your body is going through withdrawal. Don't cut out sugar all at once and decrease it slowly till you adjust.

Otherwise, you would just have to suck it up.

Also, you can try eating fruit. The sugar in fruits may control your sugar cravings.