Wheat problems? Can't eat whole wheat

Options
Hi Everyone,
So I recently discovered that I cannot eat whole wheat bread. I get extremely sick to the point where my stomach is in pain and I feel horrible. I also have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome but not gluten intolerance. Does anyone else have this issue? If you do how do you deal with it? I've been trying to cut out all wheat but I'm having trouble. I appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

Megan :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    have you tried white bread? (or something like sourdough) - it may be easier on your digestive system.

how do you go with other wheat products - cereals, baked goods like cake made with flour etc? what about brown rice - does this give you the same problem?

do you even need to eat bread/wheat at all....why are you having trouble cutting it out?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Wheat/gluten aggravates my IBS too, so I just cut it out completely. I get my carbs from fruit and vegetables, rice/rice cakes, and cornflakes instead.
  • MeganG6927
    Options
    I mostly eat rye or white bread which don't seem to bother me. I have only noticed it with cereals such as shredded wheat or mini wheats. I haven't noticed it with cake or baked goods but I watch out for multigrain and wheat things now. I'm struggling because I'm unsure of how to cut it out completely. I don't know if I should eliminate all wheat flour or just whole wheat things.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any grains, legumes, toxic refined oils (canola, soy, corn, peanut etc), or artificial sweeteners at all. I limit processed foods and avoid many ingredients that most people consume daily. I have resolved a long list of health problems just by changing WHAT I eat. If something makes you sick does it make sense to persist in eating it? Perhaps your body is trying to tell you something? I didn't at all understand how sick I was until I stopped eating unhealthy foods. It doesn't just affect the digestive system but the health of your entire body. Do you also have joint pain, fatigue, depression, anxiety, sleep problems, skin problems, sinus/lung issues, infections, frequent illness, obesity, eating disorders, pre/diabetes, obesity etc etc. ? I had those plus many more which all vanished effortlessly by changing my diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wheat (white, whole wheat etc) bothers my stomach as well. Cramping, bloating, etc. Not fun. I can tolerate Ezekiel bread, spelt, and some gluten free breads. But I pretty much just go without. I use corn tortillas for wraps etc. If I want a cereal, I choose something gluten free.
    If I'm out and really want a burger on a "bun", I get Rye. That doesn't seem to bother me as much either.
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    I have the same problem, as it seems quite a few others do too! I have eliminated wheat from my diet (unless I am feeling brave/stupid) and am on a low carbohydrate diet anyway.
    I've managed to develop a love of brown rice cakes... :smile: