I want to make a lifestyle change

Options
I am unfit and unhappy with my body. Sick of the well just one more day and il start running
. Yes iv been lazy and now I feel ready to make a change. Not just a few weeks in the gym to stop again when I v lost a few pounds but an actually lifestyle change. To get fit and keep fit. Iv not blogged my food on here but it's exercise advice is want help with. How did you start out? What did you do? I would ideally like to start running but sick of the few minutes powering through and then feeling utterly knackered and not enjoying the rest of my work out? Please any hints and advice is greatly appreciated. Emma

Replies

• cheryhol
    cheryhol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    emmajane2211,
    just start out walking. I lost 36 lbs in 2005 by just walking, and at the time I was 285 lbs and I could only walk 15 min a day, but I was going to do it no matter what. Just put it in your schedule each day to just walk and it will make a world of difference.

hope that helps.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you want to start running?
  • emmajane2211
    emmajane2211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not really, just the feeling of being free I suppose (sounds sad I know)

Plus the dog can come along! Haha
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I am in the same boat as you emmajane. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and have recently come to the same conclusion as you: it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. In November, I started running after work, but now that there is snow and 10 degree weather here in PA. I'm left looking for a new exercise routine. I know quite a few people that have had a lot of success with both zumba and crossfit. I've tried many exercise dvds, but always feel like I'm not doing the routine correctly. I'm planning on getting the Xbox kinect to fix that problem. Many of the games/routines they offer have amazing reviews. This may be a great option for you too. Best of luck and please share if you find something that works for you!
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started is try things that might interest you like swimming, dancing, different fitness classes. The point is to find something that excites you otherwise you'll get bored and discouraged. Since you have a dog, try taking the dog to the park and playing running games with him/her or walking as cheryhol had suggested. I find walking with a fitness app (Runtastic, runkeeper etc) motivated me to push myself last summer. I would push myself to go 15-30 minutes longer than the day before and now I walk up to 4 hours at a time and love it.
  • BazingaSC
    Options
    I feel the same way too!! i start and stop over and over. This year i want to do it fit and feel good. I started running last year even being overweight. i have run 5k, a 10k and attempted long runs. I need to loose 45 lbs. The dogs love the runs, my trot along while i huff and puff! ha . What i started to do was to start slow.. I ran for 1\2 mile and walked for up to 3 miles, once that got easier i increased the running time/decreased walking time slowly each time til my body got used to it. Walking made me enjoy the time while starting out, til i could run the 3 miles (about a 5K). I added once a week interval training too, the same way speed run for 10 seconds and walk 50, for 30 minutes. Over time i increased the times when my body was ready. I think that help trick my body to be able to push harder. Now you would think i would look like a marathon runner with all the talk, but i OVER EAT and am not consistent with a program, so ill be restarting again. I was amazed before how much faster i got even overweight. i Hated running before now i love how a feel and love going to races. there are all ages, and levels!! once race i was the last one and they were packing up!! but i did it !! Good luck with your new journey ill be there too!!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle change happened for me in 2010. After losing my parents so young, I decided I wanted to get healthy. I joined a gym and eventually worked my way from working out over my lunch hour 3 times a week, to working over my lunch hour 5 days a week, and weekend boot camps. With the help of a personal trainer, I lost 25lbs and have since ran in about a dozen 5k's. Start of small and increase your distance and speed slowly. Also, for endurance, my trainer recommends interval running (alternating jogging/walking with running.) Personally, I don't enjoy running while I'm doing it(LOL), but always feel great when I'm done. I will also say that once you get past the first 3 minutes or so, it does get easier if only because it won't get any harder, hee hee.

Lastly, while running is a fantastic way to burn calories, the best way to see a difference on the scale is by eating healthy and using portion control. You can run all you want, but if you don't eat right you won't see the results you hope to.

It's hard to believe that at 44, I'm probably healthier now than I ever was!

Good Luck to you!
  • drmonica3
    drmonica3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Emmajane! Those are great questions. If you can, invest in either a treadmill or a reclining bike. The two best pieces of equipment you can own. If you can only get one, get the treadmill. Everything is on sale now. Or go to Craig's list for a used one. I bought a terrific used Reebok treadmill for only $125 at a garage sale! Just start walking! Get a Fitbit zip which you can wear all day and it will track your steps. Just as journaling food is so important, doing the same for your walking will help you keep going. Aim for 10,000 steps each day. By checking the fitbit, you will be encouraged to walk further if you think you won't make your goal.

Zumba is awesome! Even if you are uncoordinated, you work up an incredible sweat and calorie burn. You can do it at home and there is enough music and people on the discs to make you feel like you are in a class. I dont have time to go out to a class...I do it in the mornings and alternate with my treadmill and/ or bike. I would suggest a.m. exercising. It is too easy to 'poop out' after a day's work and not do it. Also, research supports that people who work out in the morning are more successful with it, and with life in general. You can also invest in a heart rate monitor, to make sure that you are in your target zone while you exercise, for maximum results, but if you cant afford one you dont need it. Just do something, daily, for at least 20 min a day. The consistency is crucial! You have to do it regularly to feel good from it, which will motivate you to keep doing it.

Try the above. Along with the food journalling, you will start to see results within two weeks- promise.
  • drmonica3
    drmonica3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wanted to mention that I got started on my lifestyle changes two years ago, when I decided I am not going to buy any more clothess with L on them....! LOL! Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I am 55+ , am a professional and work full time, have three kids, and am in the best shape of my life right now. Most people think I am 40! So keep at it. You CAN do it, if I can!
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    emmajane2211,
    just start out walking. I lost 36 lbs in 2005 by just walking, and at the time I was 285 lbs and I could only walk 15 min a day, but I was going to do it no matter what. Just put it in your schedule each day to just walk and it will make a world of difference.

hope that helps.

This. I lost the majority of my weight walking. I slowly ramped up the exercise. I've cycled 3550 miles this year and have rowed over a million meters on my C2 rowing machine. Lifestyle change is a gradual process. Make small changes, stick with it and soon it becomes a good habit.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    emmajane2211,

hope that helps.

^ this.

lots of people think that getting back into shape and losing weight requires eating nothing but rabbit food (salads, etc.) and spending lots of time vigorously exercising.

it's not true. in fact, that is usually a recipe for disaster. you start out trying to do too much and after a couple of weeks you can't stick to it, get discouraged, and quit.

make moderate changes to your dietary intake. focus on getting into the habit of logging accurately and honestly. focus on your total calories, micro-, and macro-nutrients and not so much on what you're eating. shoot for a reasonable calorie deficit. add exercise that you won't get burned out doing. stick to it. have fun. enjoy it. only make the changes you know you can live with 6 months from now, a year from now, and 5 years from now. you can do it. it's not hard. you just have to see the "big picture" and throw away a lot of the garbage information you may have picked up over the years from Cosmo, or Dr. Oz, or Oprah, or all of those silly late night TV infomercials pitching gimmick weight loss products.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    There are also some great proven apps to help you stay focused. C25K is fantastic and it works. (Couch to 5k). Best of luck.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about being goal oriented. If you are looking to run, have a goal... like look for a race maybe start with a 5K and plan for it! I didn't do this, but I hear a lot of people here do the C25k program. Or maybe join a local running club with your goal in mind. The main thing is to have a goal. Something to work on, and strive for... something tangible of where you want to be.

The other thing I did was I surrounded myself with like minded individuals and an environment of fitness and well being. So like I said before, maybe join a club or seek out those existing friends you have that you admire and want to emulate. I also read a lot of books and magazines, educating myself.

Go get it!
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    A lifestyle change is just a decision. You have already decided, so your journey has begun.

Change is easy but committing to the change, that's the challenge.

Make micro-goals that are attainable and rewardable goals and update them to be more challenging each day, each week, each month. At some point, you will no longer think of them as goals or commitments, they will be so ingrained into your routine that you just do them without thinking about it.

And if you fail a little or a lot, come up with a "reset button", a phrase, a thought, an image that reminds you or your commitment to change. The image can be positive or "Scrooge-negative" but it must remind you of the "why" behind the commitment.

Just put one foot in front of the other...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change? How about an attitude change?

It's kind of like 'well I want to exercise but I don't really want to put too much effort in and feel tired afterwards '

Why can't exercise be fun?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What did you do?

Treat it like a job.

Which is what it is, really.
  • emmajane2211
    emmajane2211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change? How about an attitude change?

It's kind of like 'well I want to exercise but I don't really want to put too much effort in and feel tired afterwards '

Why can't exercise be fun?

Sure I just said I want to enjoy the rest of my workouts instead of feeling tired straight away.

Anyways thanks for the supportive comments everyone :-) my poor dog haha
    Emma
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was always active but when I decided to start running it was because I was walking so much. I just started running.

If you reeeallly want to run, maybe try C25K or sign up for a race in May or something....

Congrats on dedicating yourself to be fit!